• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please take a look. (1 Viewer)

musicmate

Please could you Critique my goldfinch photo.Shot details are.
Taken on a pretty dull day with a canon 20d & canon 100-400is iso 400 shutter speed 1/30 f5.6 390mm
Thankyou Steve

Attachments

• Goldfinch.jpg
    Goldfinch.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Okay, I'm no critic or anything but... just have to say what a BEAUTIFUL picture! The clarity is wonderful. All of these pictures I have been seeing lately taken with digital cameras is really making me want a digital camera! I'm still using the old slides!

Very nice picture! Thanks for sharing!

Scott :)

Musicmate,
A good shot of a goldfinch, I think it could be improved though if you cloned out the OOF branches and just leave the one the birds perched on.
It so happens I've being trying to get photos of these birds in my back garden today. I've not got any as good as this though.
Best wishes
Dave.

Yes I would be very happy with this shot too. The light must of been fairly poor to drop down to 1/30 sec. You were lucky the bird stayed still enough for your shot. Mind you Goldfinches do tend to be a little bit more static than blue tits. I like the way the 20D gives lower noise that my 300D. I keep promising myself an upgrade this year funds permitting.

1st rule of bird photography is snap when you can you may never get another chance.
2nd rule try and take your time to compose, check for distracting objects, focus, exposure and shutter speed is fast enough to freeze the action.

Now for the critique - In an ideal world.

The shot would of been better without the distracting branches on the left.
I think your slighty over exposed as the highlights are slightly bleached out.
Apart from the branches the background blur is ideal - the bird stands out from the background.

But I am sure under the circumstances you never had the chance to tune the shot.

By any standards it's a great shot - well done

Robert

Last edited:
Hard to criticise but we do our best |:d|

Re. post processing, one thing that may be worth looking at is that perhaps the head area (and claw to right as look) is not quite as sharp as wing tips. Maybe consider giving this a bit of extra sharpening to compensate; assuming of course that you want the head to be the "focal point".

Ditto Robert, well done, Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back