• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portugal yesterday - Dunlin or Curlew Sandpiper (1 Viewer)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Taken in the marsh at Ria Da Alvor - plenty of Dunlins around, but this one looks a bit longer in the leg, visible supercilium. Possibly Curlew Sandpiper? Views appreciated

IMG_2938 (2).JPGIMG_2956 (2).JPG

Hello,
first gut feeling: its a Dunlin.
But with a deeper look to look for reasons to support the ID, the bird seems to get harder with every minute.

My thoughts:
  • yes, the bill is evenly curved and many Dunlins have a slightly shorter one. But your bird is easy within variation for a Dunlin and it would be on the short side for a Curlw SP (yes just within variation for this, too)
  • legs are short (too ?? for a Curlew SP, I think so)
  • supercilium is nearly a blop over the loral stripe
  • at first I thought, well spotted breast is much better for a Dunlin (nearly giving it a Pectoral SP impression), but I am not so sure. Right or wrong?
  • Right or wrong? When I looked at this, I thought: better to doublecheck this bird against vagrants (I havent experience with this, so I struggle) And this adds to the Dunlin feeling here, at least for me.
Conclusion? Its a Dunlin for me

A question: is this a 2cy bird? thanks!

edit: and this excellent site came into my mind: First year Hudsonian Dunlin — subalpinebirding. Reason? Dont know...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back