• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

post cataract surgery - near/far? far/far? (2 Viewers)

cnunn

United States
Hello all. This thread has been discussed before - but not recently. There are new technical options for folks now. I have a right eye lens that's now permanently focused for distance. I have a new tech called light adjustable for my left eye that allows me to choose AFTER surgery if I want far focus in that eye, or near. I am in the middle of my process and have not decided yet. They give me contact lenses at different distances to see which I like. The permanent focus will happen after I decide. I believe I will choose near, but I wonder if I'm making a mistake not going for distance/distance. I do like distance/distance the best for birding, but I do lots of reading, computer personal work, and find so far that being able to read at least 1 foot from my eyes is very helpful for those activities. The near/distance seems to give me a fair compromise for birding and reading, with neither being superb, but each being acceptable. Did anyone have a similar situation, making a near/far or a far/far decision that they now like or 'wish they hadn't' with regards to birding. If so, a quick response is desired. If I don't postpone it, I'm making my final decision next Wed., Feb. 8.

FWIW, my Dad chose near/far and has been very happy with the result. You might want to think on the range of diopter adjustment on binoculars you plan to use (I don’t know if that’s ever a problem, just something which occurred to me).

…Mike

Not as such. But he does use binoculars semi-frequently for a variety of things (including birds). He’s found that near/far works for him more generally. And the difference between eyes, more by accident than planning, is within the diopter adjustment range of his binoculars.

…Mike

I was near sighted before surgery and chose (before surgery) far/far and don't regret it. It would be nice to have it all without the need for glasses or contacts, but my distance vision is now great and my near vision is also excellent when corrected with glasses (reading glasses or bifocals).

Ill be 2 days behind you... Recent meeting discussing options, recommendation seemed to indicate as a birder and being fussy about optical quality, the far/far choice is best. The other various options were thought to be more compromises. And as Jim M says near vision is to be accomplished with readers. Having worn glasses for many decades to include old school bifocals, having glasses off my face for normal walking around activities and carrying readers seems something to look forward to. Pre-surgery meeting the 6th will nail the choices.

I have been short sighted (it eve got to -6.75) since I was about 11 years old and been fine with glasses since (57 years)
I had an operation on my right eye to correct a problem with my retina (Epiretinal membrane) during the summer.
I now have reasonable vision in that eye but not perfect.
I’m currently wearing a contact lens in my left eye and so glasses free for the first time. Birding is great.

But, to the point, I am on the NHS list for cataract surgery on my left eye, should I choose to follow this route, although the Consultant who operated on my right eye has suggested touching it out with contacts because my left eye is in pretty good condition and to quote "why mess about voluntarily with a perfectly good eye".
However, whatever I decide I’ll be going far/far as wearing reading glasses seems a very low price for corrected vision.

My partner has had two cataract surgeries and chose near/far but very occasionally struggles, that has shaded my choice too.

Hi,

i have slightly mismatched eyes - left ok, right slightly nearsighted - about 1 diopter - and don't have problems.

My mom had cataract surgery lately and she also opted for one shortsighted and one normal and she likes it - before she needed far and rading glasses - none now... she's no birder though...

Joachim

Not as such. But he does use binoculars semi-frequently for a variety of things (including birds). He’s found that near/far works for him more generally. And the difference between eyes, more by accident than planning, is within the diopter adjustment range of his binoculars.

…Mike
Thanks Mike. I checked my diopter adjustment and it works fine.

Hi,

i have slightly mismatched eyes - left ok, right slightly nearsighted - about 1 diopter - and don't have problems.

My mom had cataract surgery lately and she also opted for one shortsighted and one normal and she likes it - before she needed far and rading glasses - none now... she's no birder though...

Joachim
Thanks Joachim.

I have been short sighted (it eve got to -6.75) since I was about 11 years old and been fine with glasses since (57 years)
I had an operation on my right eye to correct a problem with my retina (Epiretinal membrane) during the summer.
I now have reasonable vision in that eye but not perfect.
I’m currently wearing a contact lens in my left eye and so glasses free for the first time. Birding is great.

But, to the point, I am on the NHS list for cataract surgery on my left eye, should I choose to follow this route, although the Consultant who operated on my right eye has suggested touching it out with contacts because my left eye is in pretty good condition and to quote "why mess about voluntarily with a perfectly good eye".
However, whatever I decide I’ll be going far/far as wearing reading glasses seems a very low price for corrected vision.

My partner has had two cataract surgeries and chose near/far but very occasionally struggles, that has shaded my choice too.
Mike, would you be able to give me instances with some detail of when your partner has struggles?

Ill be 2 days behind you... Recent meeting discussing options, recommendation seemed to indicate as a birder and being fussy about optical quality, the far/far choice is best. The other various options were thought to be more compromises. And as Jim M says near vision is to be accomplished with readers. Having worn glasses for many decades to include old school bifocals, having glasses off my face for normal walking around activities and carrying readers seems something to look forward to. Pre-surgery meeting the 6th will nail the choices.
I wish I had found this forum a month before now. My decision got moved up on me, and I am now near/far. I'll find out through use whether this works o.k. My new swarovski binocs may help quite a bit. May I ask what kind of meeting by whom and how many folk came up with "far/far choice" being best?

The next problem is getting my major floaters removed, which I understand is possible now, thru a vitrectomy. I'm in no hurry tho to get this done.

Hi all.
Even tho my own decision has been made now, I am VERY interested in other folks' opinions or facts on this question. I certainly am not looking to be sorry about my decision. But, for the sake of knowledge, I'm interested. Also, if anyone has experience with a vitrectomy, that would be helpful. I'll probably consider doing that next year. I have quite a few transparent sheet-like kinds now, in addition to the pin-points and dark squiggles I've had all my life.

I was near sighted before surgery and chose (before surgery) far/far and don't regret it. It would be nice to have it all without the need for glasses or contacts, but my distance vision is now great and my near vision is also excellent when corrected with glasses (reading glasses or bifocals).
Jim, I wish I had seen your response earlier. This is exactly what I wanted someone to say to me. This is what I was thinking, but I had no support on it. My dr. did not have any advice on my question of him re: binocs. Frankly, I now think he is all gung-ho on using his expensive machine for the light adjustable lens process and thus not excited about a simple far/far process. If others say far/far is recommended for birders, I'll let him know for future patients who might want to know.

My point has absolutely nothing to do with being a birder or not. It goes way beyond any such consideration.

We are not designed to have non-similar eyes. Binocular vision pretty much requires similar images in order for the brain to be able merge them easily.

I cannot even imagine an ophthalmologist recommending such a thing. Frankly, it would lead me to look for a different ophthalmologist.

I wish I had found this forum a month before now. My decision got moved up on me, and I am now near/far. I'll find out through use whether this works o.k. My new swarovski binocs may help quite a bit. May I ask what kind of meeting by whom and how many folk came up with "far/far choice" being best?

The next problem is getting my major floaters removed, which I understand is possible now, thru a vitrectomy. I'm in no hurry tho to get this done.
Mine was with Opthalmologist, after she listened to how I use my eyes. Ive been a machinist and furniture maker since retiring, adding these sorts of activities to birding led to her rather strong recommendation. I too will be getting the correction for astigmatism as mine is extreme.. another recommendation.

Mike, would you be able to give me instances with some detail of when your partner has struggles?
It’s little things really.
I’m not suggesting that it’s not been successful but there are times when she has to concentrate extra hard on reading small text, and possibly closes an eye to clear things up.
Struggling to think up other examples but I’ve just flown into Costa Rica and I’m exhausted (yes, yes, I should have caught an airplane)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back