• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prostaff P7 8x30 arrived, first impressions (2 Viewers)

Binocollector

Germany
Hi guys and gals,
my Prostaff P7 came with UPS today. (Package seemed to have taken some abuse but luckily they used enough bubble wrap so the cardboard Nikon box was undamaged.)
First impressions -- it is very light, very plasticky (not a single metal part in sight anywhere -- compared to it my Canon 8x32WP feels like a tank -- but weighs as much, too and the Nikon P7 has a much bigger FoV -- the good old Canon has only 7.5° compared to the 8.7° of the Nikon). Guess you cannot have everything. After all it is an entry level model.
Image seems very nice, good sweetspot (but my eyes adjust pretty well so I can never tell how anyone else might feel about it and taking pics with my cheap phone is pretty useless -- I did it anyway).
It seems to me like it has a very slight compression at the edge of the field -- like a barrel distortion, definitely not a pincushion distortion which would have been optically better. This seems very similar to the Kowa BDII which to me is the direct competitor for the P7 with its 8.8° FoV.
Eyecups have 3 positions. And it DOES NOT work with glasses for me -- the eyepiece lenses are recessed too much and eye relief is too short for me -- image is cut off so much that the wide FoV makes no sense at all. Compared to my Kowa 6.5x32 the eye relief is horrible on the Prostaff. On the Kowa I get maybe at least 90% of the FoV compared to wearing no glasses.
Sounds like I am trashing it but I otherwise it is very nice, feels good in the hand, focuser works nicely, optics seem to be really good -- even though the FoV is still no match for any of my vintage wide angle 8x30s.
CA is controlled very well in the center but it has some off-axis CA. No tripod-adapter screw. Locking diopter ring. The rainguards and objective covers are, like on all Nikons I own, a bad joke. I might get some Opticron lense covers for them later on.
It is too early of course to really come up with a fair judgement. But for 219€ (way cheaper in the US) I'd have expected a bit more. You get what you pay for. The Kowa 8x32 would still be way better quality and has better eye relief, too but also costs almost twice as much (at least in Germany -- Kowa BDII 8x32 is 419€).
The optics seem to be the flavor of the day for China made binos -- not much pincushion distortion (to me that is a good thing but I suspect others might have problems with the globe effect -- similar to the Kowa BDII) a slight "compression" or less magnification at the edge which looks still very different to my eyes from a "normal" field curvature like on vintage porros.
Some more details: it takes 1.5 turns to get from closest focusing distance to infinity and about one turn to get from closest focus point (roughly 2m) to about 300m out.
Overall quality is not bad, no major flaws that I can see -- just a little plasticky compared to a Kowa or my Canon (I compared it to the Canon because that is the only relatively modern 8x bino I have and it's a roof prism -- all my other 8x binos are either vintage or porros - edit: completely forgot about my Kite Cervus 8x56).
I'll update the thread after I have used it for some time.
And I took a lot of pictures -- but keep in mind that I didn't use a tripod.
rnkd8.jpg

r5j5f.jpg

zlj2v.jpg

2kk98.jpg

dhkim.jpg

Vintage wide angle 8x30 to compare:
v9kr1.jpg

Here you can see the recessed lenses of the eyepieces - which further reduces eye relief. A real bummer for all who need glasses to observe. I also took a pic of me with glasses -- so you get an impression of how close my glasses fit.
uajfv.jpg

55kkv.jpg

Next pic was to "force out" some CA. But I guess it is too blurry. I cannot see CA in the center -- and the sweetspot seems smaller on the cellphone pics which is either the crappy lense or maybe my eyes are so good at adjusting that the sweetspot looks just much larger to my eyes. I think that is something everybody has to find out for himself. Best to test in a store first.
5mjzm.jpg

Close view of the garden -- around 6 m.
3fjuf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Philipp for taking the time, the P7 8X30 looks like a decent glass for the $$. I also have the BD II in 6.5/8X32 and while they are well built, I am always looking at other optics that suit my eyes better. IMO the 6.5 X32 is the best of the BD II of the lot, a rare format.

You're very welcome. I did fiddle around with them for quite a while today, and apart from the plasticky feel, they are growing on me. Mechanically everything works really well. Focuser is buttery smooth, eyecups click firmly into position, diopter works fine. FoV is really nice, too. My vintage super wide angle porros are still more impressive but also have a ton of pincushion distortion, almost too much sometimes. The P7 has very little of that. And decent edge sharpness too for the large field. I remember the Kowa BDII 8x32 being a bit better when I tested it in the store, but that was a while ago and it is hard to judge from memory. I'd have to test them side by side.
They are a good "EDC" bino. Lightweight, comfy to use, not too expensive.
I think I'll get the Svbony SV202 ED 8x32 next to compare the two.

These look like a good glass for that bike ride or hike with other equipment and liquids, (small and light). On Nikons website in the USA - $179.00.

Interesting! Now I got curious about this Kowa 6.5x32, have to try one. Must have a very relaxed view. A question Philipp: what is the binocular with the rubber armor in the 7th picture, right corner a Docter?

Cheers,
T.

The one in the corner is a Komz 7x30. One of the binos I use the most. Mainly for "ship spotting".
They look cool, I see them for sale on a German site for 299,- euro. Advertised as new, you think they are still in production or would it be old stock? Quite heavy: 1100 gr, but I like this military style binoculars with rubber armor.

Mine was made 2021. So I guess they are still produced. But on the Komz website, all are out of stock.
So I guess the German store, where I got mine BTW, still has some.
Used ones pop up on ebay from time to time. The older ones are the same optically but have internal focusing and twist up eye cups. On the new ones the whole ocular twists up and down to adjust focus. But mine is always set to be in focus for my eyes from about 5m to infinity (tested it for astronomy as well and it's sharp with the same focus setting).
They have a very tinted greenish/yellowish hue to the image but are razor sharp and have very high contrast despite (or because?) of the yellow tint. They always come with a reticle in the right ocular but it doesn't bother me.
Vintage one ('94) left.
xqk4w.jpg

bbj6g.jpg

I made a few more observations and took a few more pics with my phone through the bino and unless my phone-lense has a ton of distortion it seems there is a slight pincushion distortion to the optics. Just much less than vintage wide angles had. Which seems a normal current development as for example Holger Merlitz has explained on his website.
So the P7 seems to have just enough pincushion distortion to counter the normal distortion of my eyes so I see very little distortion in the image at all. It still does of course have some field curvature -- it is not a flat field bino. But I think they nailed the pincushion distortion on that one. No extreme effect when panning, and I don't see a globe effect but I am not very susceptible to it either.
Still -- all that plastic. If something breaks, this thing is probably not repairable. I don't see any way to remove the rings holding the lenses unlike on more expensive models where you can screw off the retaining rings. On the P7 the rings are just smooth plastic.
But, like already mentioned, it is an entry level model. What makes it in my eyes superior to alternatives like the Celestron Nature DX or similar offerings is the wide FoV.

So far not. Unfortunately it was cloudy yesterday night. I am very much looking forward to testing it for astronomy. I do like 8x30s for that purpose in fact. Quite nice for star clusters and larger asterisms because of the wide field. Will update the thread accordingly but the next few days seem to be cloudy according to my weather app.

Mine was made 2021. So I guess they are still produced. But on the Komz website, all are out of stock.
So I guess the German store, where I got mine BTW, still has some.
Used ones pop up on ebay from time to time. The older ones are the same optically but have internal focusing and twist up eye cups. On the new ones the whole ocular twists up and down to adjust focus. But mine is always set to be in focus for my eyes from about 5m to infinity (tested it for astronomy as well and it's sharp with the same focus setting).
They have a very tinted greenish/yellowish hue to the image but are razor sharp and have very high contrast despite (or because?) of the yellow tint. They always come with a reticle in the right ocular but it doesn't bother me.
Vintage one ('94) left.
xqk4w.jpg

bbj6g.jpg
Thanks a lot for the pictures, much appreciated. The oculars look very big. Sorry to hijack your tread ;)

The oculars look very big.
It's a 6 lense (the vintage one supposedly had even 7) flat field system with almost no distortion. But the huge oculars make it nicely balanced in the hands.
It's a unique beast. For the money you could probably get something "better" -- meaning with better color fidelity, more lightweight, water tight, etc. But the sharpness and flat field are always impressive. It also has a very strong 3D-effect.
Holger Merlitz has written a number of articles about it. That was the main reason I bought it.
When he wrote his reviews they were available for much less money however.

Thanks a lot for the articles Philipp, will check them! It’s an interesting binocular, I will try one when I get the chance. My bino budget for 2022 is empty and I really want a 8x56 next year (Zeiss FL or Swarovski) so in the near future I don’t think I will buy one 😉. But i find it a intriguing binocular because of the form factor, like a living dinosaur. How is it that it has a flat field and also 3D effect?

The flat field has nothing to do with the 3D effect. I think that is a common misconception.
I'm not sure why the 3D effect seems stronger on the Komz. I think it has to do with the tint of the image as it makes the different green hues of the trees really stand out. I think technically it should only be the separation of the objective lenses that increases the 3D effect.

That's always hard to estimate but I'd say around 70% at least. Maybe a bit more.
I tried to take a picture but I cannot capture the whole FoV with my lousy cellphone camera.
At the right side you can see that the edge gets blurry and there is some slight off-axis chromatic abberation but overall they are pretty good for the price.
qdk8s.jpg

KOMZ 7x30 Eyepiece

A photo and diagram of the eyepiece on the earlier model, can be found at Fan Tao’s old site via the Wayback Machine: KOMZ

Thanks to Renze for this, from post #63 at: And now for something completely different: The Habicht 7x42

- - - -
And an image and information about the KOMZ 6x24 eyepiece, provided by goornik is at:
forum.optyczne.pl :: Zobacz temat - Zrób to sam - wyczeniamy brzegi soczewek

Google translates the text as:
'Praise be to Ignazio Porro: mrgreen:
The passion for DIY and the "not entirely satisfactory" image contrast in my BSZC2 6x24 made me take the binoculars to the operating table. I performed a procedure consisting in blackening the edges of the lenses and one inner distance sleeve - the original was bare white aluminum! The operation is simple AND does NOT cause loss of collimation. Something just in time for boring December evenings. The blackening was done with a black CD marker pen - it works perfectly.

The operation is easily done in all classic CCCP binoculars, ZEISSs from Jena and probably from Oberkochen, on old classic Nikons and our favorite wide-angle Swiftach, Sears or Tasco.

By the way: the eyepiece in the KOMZ BSZC2 6x24 has a very unique optical design: triplet - doublet - singlet

The photos below basically say it all …. '

- - - -
Optyczne also has a 104 page mega-thread on older binoculars, along with lots of interesting images at:
forum.optyczne.pl :: Zobacz temat - Lornetkowe klasyki sprzed lat

Usefully it has an index with hot links on the front page. See the first 1/3 of the list.

John

7x30 left and 6x24 right:
Eyepieces 7x30 (l) and 6x24 (r).jpg

Attachments

• First 1:3.jpg
    First 1:3.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 4
So, a little update - after very moderate use (took it birding on a walk once or twice) the diopter ring came off. Turns out that it is a plastic ring glued to a plastic gear. My mail to the Nikon support has not been answered yet.
So despite the nice optics, those plastic build quality is just too cheap.
The diopter is locking and takes some force to unlock. Over time this will break off as it is only glued. And since my wife also used it I had to adjust the diopter a couple of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back