• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quail ID (NE Thailand) (1 Viewer)

jack2964

I found this one on a dirt track leading to farmland in Isaan, NE Thailand.
Only managed a few low quality shots before it disappeared into bush.
I am unsure of its ID. Appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Quail or Partridge.jpg
    Quail or Partridge.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 99
A little difficult (for me at least) from this image on very variable species - I'm thinking Yellow-legged buttonquail due to the back pattern, largish bill, and leg colour...

Other possibility is the default Barred b.

A little difficult (for me at least) from this image on very variable species - I'm thinking Yellow-legged buttonquail due to the back pattern, largish bill, and leg colour...

Other possibility is the default Barred b.

Exactly my thoughts there H. Legs do look like they might be yellowish. Never been lucky enough to see Yellow-legged, nice find if it is one, as Barred is much more common :t:. Certainly doesn't look quite right for barred, and too heavy-billed for Small BQ.

Any more side-on pics Jack, even if they're poorer quality?

I've only seen them on migration in coastal China where they often turn up in the oddest of places, wonderful things, well worth the wait!

Thanks to all for input. I don't have any better shot than this. The rest are similar without a frontal view so they won't help. I'd be very happy if it is truly YL.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back