• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Leupold binoculars (1 Viewer)

JoeGBirder

Photography and birding enjoyer
United States
I've had a pair of Leupold YOSEMITE 6x30 BX-1 binoculars (the beige ones, not sure if that changes anything) for almost 7 years now, and they've been very trusty and still work pretty well. But, I was wondering if I should get a new pair of them, or a completely different brand. Or, are there newer versions of them that work better? The only problem with them at the moment is that theres a loose screw that slides around inside one of the lens. It never blocks my vision, it just makes a sound when I lift them. I'm no expert on binoculars, so I need one of you to help. Thanks!

Considering that the only place a screw can come from on the innards of the typical porro is the prism clip or clamp (depending on whether the frame is a zeiss frame or a bausch and lomb style frame), you could be whistling past the grave yard. A typical porro has either a clamp with a screw at each end holding a prism down or a spring loaded clip that fits into a slot at one end and a screw hole fitting at the other end, without a screw in place, the only holding a prism in place is then the retaining cement. There's several variation on the prism holding scheme but that's pretty much the gist of a potential problem. There's always the chance that the assembler had an extra and fumbled the screw into the binos and kept on with the assembling. The fix involves taking off the exterior armor and disassembly to the point of location where the screw comes from. Not too many places for it to fit. Does Leupold have a lifetime warranty and do you still have a copy of the bill of sale? If not, likely look at a replacement down the road.. Doesn't look like Leupold still makes that particular model. Perhaps there's still a retailer with the old discontinued stock. Kowa seems to have a close analog to it though. And there are many decent similar products to it as well. Regards, Pat

I've had a pair of Leupold YOSEMITE 6x30 BX-1 binoculars (the beige ones, not sure if that changes anything) for almost 7 years now, and they've been very trusty and still work pretty well. But, I was wondering if I should get a new pair of them, or a completely different brand. Or, are there newer versions of them that work better? The only problem with them at the moment is that theres a loose screw that slides around inside one of the lens. It never blocks my vision, it just makes a sound when I lift them. I'm no expert on binoculars, so I need one of you to help. Thanks!
If I were you I would upgrade my binoculars, but I realize that I am obsessed with binoculars and would welcome any excuse to buy a new pair. If you love these bins and have no desire to upgrade, then look into getting them fixed or replaced. If you do decide to upgrade, decide how much you are willing to pay and we can advise you on the best bins for that price

Not too many places for it to fit. Does Leupold have a lifetime warranty and do you still have a copy of the bill of sale?
I dunno, my grandma gave it to me like seven years ago. I'm not sure if it's some sort of warranty or just a regular pair. Anyways, thanks for the heads up. I'll look into possibly buying a new one. I'm sure there are much better ones that I could get.

Leupold will almost certainly warranty the glass. I have never had to show any purchase record. Don't know of anybody who has ever been asked. Good warranty is just something Leupold does. It will most likely be replaced with a current model, as I don't believe they were designed to be taken apart. The original design was done by a Leupold Engineer in conjunction with a Kowa Engineer. The Leupold guy left, and the original design went with Kowa. There are lots of very similar binoculars out there, but the Kowa model will be like the original Yosemite.

Personally I'd send it in and keep it around. That is a hard act to beat for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back