• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focal length ? (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Excuse my complete ignorance, I know that different cameras make different focal lengths when used with different lenses!
So waht focal lenght would you get a Nikon D500 & Nikon 500mmpf ? Would that still be 500 or ??? Hope this is not to stupid a question!
TIA

The D500 has a DX sensor (23.5 mm x 15.7 mm), which equates to a 1.5 crop. The full frame 500mm PF will have an apparent focal length of 750mm. Thus, any lens on a camera with a cropped sensor will have a longer effective focal length.

The D500 has a DX sensor (23.5 mm x 15.7 mm), which equates to a 1.5 crop. The full frame 500mm PF will have an apparent focal length of 750mm. Thus, any lens on a camera with a cropped sensor will have a longer effective focal length.
thanks, I sort of knew but needed exactly what you said to really understand. Had no idea of the figures tho, thank you ! awesome !

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back