• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for those who own just one pair of binoculars... (2 Viewers)

I do think age 2 may be a little young to use binoculars unless it is
just a toy, I have experience. The young ones's can enjoy watching birds under age 2.

Here is Mrs. Butterworth, in the sugarfree version. ;)

Jerry

Definitely not my Ma. In no way was she rich - and even if you were in a different universe, just thinking she was thick would have instigated Armageddon and Fimbulwinter combined. ;)

As others have suggested the best route is to get an inexpensive decent pair of binoculars that will live in your car. No, they won't be as good as the Swaros, but they will just be for emergency use when you are our and about and don't have the big guns with you. Even if you go the purse / rucksack route there will be a time when you are in the car and don't have them with you.

Watch the classifieds here and eBay and you can find something decent for 100 bucks or less. Binoculars that I have bought for $100ish or less used include:

Sightron 8x32 - $120ish off amazon warehouse deals
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 - $100 used from here
Leupold 6x30 Yosemite - $50 used from here
Bushnell Excursion 8x28 - $60 used from here

There have been amazon deals as low as $120 for Vanguard Endeavor ED.

Scan eBay, amazon warehouse, cameralandNY demos, SWFA sample list, Craigslist etc. I guarantee you can find something decent for not much money that you can toss in the car and forget about until you need them.

Wait. I just checked the classifieds and see that you're selling a pair of AO Radians for $100. Why not just throw them in the car and be done with it?

Never had a problem with it. When you start, you soon remember - just like taking your documents with you.

Is it another of these odd threads 'buy two pairs of B-quality bins instead of one pair of good bins?'

Well, in case you don't meet Mr. Right before you graduate, I hope you are earning a practical degree such as a business or an engineering or a natural gas industrial process operations degree and not a liberal arts or a general arts degree like mine, which I keep in the bathroom in case I run out of toilet paper.
Sorry to disappoint you! I'm an Integrative Arts major with a dual focus on graphic design and ornithology. Am quite serious about designing for a wildlife or birding organization upon graduation.

As others have suggested the best route is to get an inexpensive decent pair of binoculars that will live in your car. No, they won't be as good as the Swaros, but they will just be for emergency use when you are our and about and don't have the big guns with you. Even if you go the purse / rucksack route there will be a time when you are in the car and don't have them with you.

Watch the classifieds here and eBay and you can find something decent for 100 bucks or less. Binoculars that I have bought for $100ish or less used include:

Sightron 8x32 - $120ish off amazon warehouse deals
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 - $100 used from here
Leupold 6x30 Yosemite - $50 used from here
Bushnell Excursion 8x28 - $60 used from here

There have been amazon deals as low as $120 for Vanguard Endeavor ED.

Scan eBay, amazon warehouse, cameralandNY demos, SWFA sample list, Craigslist etc. I guarantee you can find something decent for not much money that you can toss in the car and forget about until you need them.
Thank you; I've bookmarked this thread to keep track of recommendations.

Wait. I just checked the classifieds and see that you're selling a pair of AO Radians for $100. Why not just throw them in the car and be done with it?
I don't love their quality. They were are nice upgrade from my Field and Stream pair from Dick's Sporting Goods, but they do have a lot of chromatic abberation. |:(| I'd rather save up for something a little bit better for around the house, and keep my Swaros with my in the car (barring a heat wave). We have another pair of Radians in the house which I'm using for now, but I'd like something in the $200 - 300 range when I can afford it.

Last edited:
This thread gave me the idea of getting a second pair of binocular, more compact that I could carry everywhere, I found some, like new condition in the case, Bushnell 131005 10 x 25 for $60.00 Can on Amazon, good deal or not ? and I would like your comments on these binocular,
Thank you

Another thing you can try is checking charity / second hand stores. They sometimes get some decent bins in, don't really know if they are good or bad, and sell them really cheaply. Or you could check stockists web sites and see if they've got anything that people have traded up from. Providing the bins suit you, it's a good way of getting decent optics, often at a fraction of the price.

If you don´t mind IF focus for your second pair, the Hensoldt 8x30 ex-Nato binos that are always available on the ´bay are very good. I got a pair recently and I´m very impressed. About 80 euro, and really good fun to use - small, tough as tanks, Zeiss glass from the ´80´s or ´90´s, rubber-armoured etc. They have a range-finding reticle, which can be removed quite easily if it´s bothersome.

If you don´t mind IF focus for your second pair, the Hensoldt 8x30 ex-Nato binos that are always available on the ´bay are very good. I got a pair recently and I´m very impressed. About 80 euro, and really good fun to use - small, tough as tanks, Zeiss glass from the ´80´s or ´90´s, rubber-armoured etc. They have a range-finding reticle, which can be removed quite easily if it´s bothersome.

They *are* nice. Careful though, the newer version (Hensoldt Fero-D16, also 8x30) has laser filters and a reticle, and these are not that easily removed. They've also got a smaller field of view, but are optically even better with more modern coatings.

There are a couple of reviews of both versions on Holger's website.

Hermann

I recently bought a pair of Viking 6.5 X 32 for £99, and have been very impressed with them. Not as good as my Zeiss Conquests, but good enough for me not to be too disappointed if I take the 'wrong' pair out birding. They also focus ridiculously close, so you can watch insects with them too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back