• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any sub-alpha 30-32mm class binoculars that still feel like an alpha ones? (1 Viewer)

Actually look at them all (Conquest, GPO, Leica Trini and UV, Genesis, Meostar, MHG, CL)....use them...find out what you like about all of them and make your determination based upon your findings in your hands and with your eyes.

My take.... Meostar B1 Plus for sure is the best (if you can handle the small eye cups)...

I know this is a personal thing which depends on many factors but do we have some sort of a consensus that which 8x30/32mm alpha/subalpha models that the eyecups are not too short and that does not cause blackouts?

Last edited:
I bought a mint condition Kahles 8x32 approx. one week ago in mint conditions and I am impressed with it. It cost around 350GB / 440USD. Kahles stopped making this Loden model around 2016 and they moved to the Helia range but no 8x32 in that series which seems a bit odd as I am sure it would be a good seller. Anyways the little Kahles is a joy to use. The build and optical qualities are excellent. No discernable CA and it is relatively sharp to edge. The light transmission is excellent as is the resolution. The image is slightly warm which I like. The 7.6 is FOV is far superior to the 8x42 Loden version I had a decade ago which was 6.3 degrees. I have a Swarovski SLC 7x42 and whilst it is not equal to that optically or build wise but it is very close. It does exude quality. I have been into optics for 45 years and I have owned and used hundreds of binoculars and these would be in my top 5. They are worth seeking out.

Chris
Auckland
New Zealand

Last edited:
In the end I get a Zeiss Victory pocket 8x25 and I can report happily that I am happy for both the pocket and EL8.5x44. The pocket is small but when I hold it and hug both hands together it is stable enough for me. Also even though I have to put my eyes a bit away from the eye cups, as the eyepiece is very visually friendly I have no problem with blackout. I a/b with the CL30 and I think optically the pocket is better especially CA control and also the price. The only problem is how to keep the lens cleaned without the caps.

Thank you so much for all of the comments.

In the end I get a Zeiss Victory pocket 8x25 and I can report happily that I am happy for both the pocket and EL8.5x44. The pocket is small but when I hold it and hug both hands together it is stable enough for me. Also even though I have to put my eyes a bit away from the eye cups, as the eyepiece is very visually friendly I have no problem with blackout. I a/b with the CL30 and I think optically the pocket is better especially CA control and also the price. The only problem is how to keep the lens cleaned without the caps.

Thank you so much for all of the comments.

The Opticron compact rainguard works perfectly for me on the VP. There are Optricron objective covers that fit the VP as well.

Mike

If you look around you can find used EL 8x32 SV’s for only a little more than your budget and you’re not settling on anything. I’m still kicking myself for not snagging a LNIB field pro for $1100 shipped a couple weeks ago on another forum.

There are a few of us on the forum who continue to speak highly of this B1.1 or B1 or B1 Plus (essentially the same) Meostar.... It is simply wonderful given the dollars and does beat out anything in its class. For me, I like the dimples as well!!!!! This goes for 10x or 8x...

Just did on BH....the 8x32 had a bit of a $ hike.... I am sure the other sizes did too but , hey...who isn't raising their prices?

I had a real test yesterday, using the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 to spot the Spoonie among several hundred of other sandpipers. Although they are perfectly fine for scanning when aiming them and trying to get detail out of the targets, stability is not good enough for me (I am not wearing sunglasses) resting eyecups on the brows never be a comfortable position for me, and my eyes, especially when doing that for a long period. So I will be searching for the real 8x32/30 ones that have better stability. I think for me the pockets are good for their sizes (they are now my everyday carry.) but cannot replace an 8x32/30s when I needs to keep the weight down from EL8.5x42.

I had a real test yesterday, using the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 to spot the Spoonie among several hundred of other sandpipers. Although they are perfectly fine for scanning when aiming them and trying to get detail out of the targets, stability is not good enough for me (I am not wearing sunglasses) resting eyecups on the brows never be a comfortable position for me, and my eyes, especially when doing that for a long period. So I will be searching for the real 8x32/30 ones that have better stability. I think for me the pockets are good for their sizes (they are now my everyday carry.) but cannot replace an 8x32/30s when I needs to keep the weight down from EL8.5x42.

I find the VP 8x25 to be similar. Yes the view can be good but it’s a bit light weight for “real birding.” I get on very well with the MHG / SFL 30mm size (though not everyone does, this is of course personal) so that’s my “starting point” for the aforementioned “real birding” though I frequently still carry a larger x32 or x42 depending on how “real” the birding is, again :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back