• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any sub-alpha 30-32mm class binoculars that still feel like an alpha ones? (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

Hello all,

Finally I have got the 8.5x42 EL (the later model). They are great. Now I am looking for a 8x30/32 class due to the smaller size and weight for every day carry. Now I have a Monarch M7 (older model) and I can them appreciated less on the CA compared to the ELs.

I still cannot afford another $2K binoculars as I still don’t feel like having to camp out of the house if I buy 2 consecutive $2K binoculars. The wife still rules after all.

if I plan to spend around $1K for a pair of 30-32mm size, will I be too disappointed when I am already used to the image quality of the ELs? I used to compare the 8x32 Conquest to my M7 and I don’t feel spending extra $1,000 for minimum gain. I have not tried the Monarch HG so I don’t know how much better they are compared to the M7.

I am wondering if the alpha users could suggest the best route to go for my case?

Thank you so much for your help,

Passakorn

Hello all,

Finally I have got the 8.5x42 EL (the later model). They are great. Now I am looking for a 8x30/32 class due to the smaller size and weight for every day carry. Now I have a Monarch M7 (older model) and I can them appreciated less on the CA compared to the ELs.

I still cannot afford another $2K binoculars as I still don’t feel like having to camp out of the house if I buy 2 consecutive $2K binoculars. The wife still rules after all.

if I plan to spend around $1K for a pair of 30-32mm size, will I be too disappointed when I am already used to the image quality of the ELs? I used to compare the 8x32 Conquest to my M7 and I don’t feel spending extra $1,000 for minimum gain. I have not tried the Monarch HG so I don’t know how much better they are compared to the M7.

I am wondering if the alpha users could suggest the best route to go for my case?

Passakorn
No other 8x32 outside of an alpha 8x32 is going to compare to those 8.5x42 EL's. Once you are used to the alpha view, it is hard to be satisfied with an M7 or even MHG, IMO. I would look for a used 8x32 EL for around $1200, and then I would buy a tent and camp out for a while until the wife cools off or try to keep any signs of the purchase from her prying eyes. Delete all those emails you get immediately when you buy something from PayPal and eBay or when a shipment is coming on the computer AND her phone, and then intercept the UPS man BEFORE they ring the door bell and the dog hears it. If she asks what came in the mail, just say it was a binocular case or something inexpensive like that. 😁

Hello all,

Passakorn

No other 8x32 outside of an alpha 8x32 is going to compare to those 8.5x42 EL's. Once you are used to the alpha view, it is hard to be satisfied with an M7 or even MHG, IMO. I would look for a used 8x32 EL for around $1200,

Passakorn,

I agree with Dennis. If you can stretch the budget to @ $1200 you will likely be more satisfied with a used /older SW EL SV 8x32. If you want to go with a smaller and lighter bin the new SW CL 8x30 is another option. Many experienced members here lately have expressed a preference for the Monarch HG over the CL. The HG is reportedly even smaller and lighter with a wider FOV (although I have never tried one).

Mike

My main (non-IS) is also an EL Swarovision, although the small 8x32, which I've been using for 3 years now and I really enjoy: the view, the ergonomics, the handling. If it was a tad smaller and lighter, it would be a perfect binocular. In addition to this, I enjoy very nice glass on a daily basis (and have been enjoying some top-of-the range glass over the past years, the like of Ultravid, FL, HG and very nice Meoptas, to name a few). Said that, every single time I use my Opticron Traveller HD 8x32 I feel it's such a great glass for the money... and I can say confidently that, in spite of being happy with the EL, I could be happy as a hippo is I only had the Traveller. No, it's not as good as the EL, but yes, it's very very good. Having had the Conquest HD also in 8x32 (as well as 8x42), I'd say the Conquest HD 8x32 offers a better view than the Traveller, but for my uses is a less interesting pair, because it's:
  • Bigger
  • Heavier
  • More expensive (which is important for a secondary binocular; probably like yourself, I don't mind spending big money on my "top performer", but I feel the secondary binocular should be priced accordingly). So, answering your question:

if I plan to spend around $1K for a pair of 30-32mm size, will I be too disappointed when I am already used to the image quality of the ELs?
No, not at all. If you are happy with the size/weight of the Conquest HD 8x32, I think you can be 100 % happy. As a matter of fact, I find the view of the Conquest HD has very little (if anything) to envy from the EL. But for me, the ergonomics, weight and size of the Conquest HD just didn't work.

I have the 8x30 MHG and SV 8.5x42 FP and find them an excellent combo to own. They each have their own charms and I don't miss the other when using them. With the 8x30 it's obviously their size and that they feel great in the hand (small but solid with lovely armour) while having the wide FOV and solid optics. After owning the MHG for a bit I tried the M7 to see if it would do and there was no comparison for me with the MHG being significantly better, but the M7 I tried may not have been a good sample. A decent used SV 8x32 would be a more noticeable step up from the M7 though, so concur with others. I tried a used one (SV version) in a store and all the glare concerns some raise in BF were there in the view and I was disappointed and the MHG gave a much better view. I then tried a new 8x32 FP version they also had in the store and it was a totally different beast with a gorgeous saturated glare-free view. So try and go for a later model and be prepared to send it back if it doesn't work for you.

A slight curve-ball to consider is the Zeiss 8x25 VP. I think it's view is more premium to the 8x30 MHG. It's possibly the lack of field flatteners that make it so easy - no focus hunting, as sharp as anything in the centre, natural colour and still pretty wide. It's truly pocketable so I have it with me more than the 8x30 MHG. A premium pocket would give you a portable mini-alpha view that would fit into your current line up well and might satisfy you for long enough to save up for a premium alpha 8x32. If you have the chance to try them or the Swaro version it's worth considering. I wear glasses and those who don't are sometimes not as taken with the Zeiss VP.

I have the 8x30 MHG and SV 8.5x42 FP and find them an excellent combo to own. They each have their own charms and I don't miss the other when using them. With the 8x30 it's obviously their size and that they feel great in the hand (small but solid with lovely armour) while having the wide FOV and solid optics. After owning the MHG for a bit I tried the M7 to see if it would do and there was no comparison for me with the MHG being significantly better, but the M7 I tried may not have been a good sample. A decent used SV 8x32 would be a more noticeable step up from the M7 though, so concur with others. I tried a used one (SV version) in a store and all the glare concerns some raise in BF were there in the view and I was disappointed and the MHG gave a much better view. I then tried a new 8x32 FP version they also had in the store and it was a totally different beast with a gorgeous saturated glare-free view. So try and go for a later model and be prepared to send it back if it doesn't work for you.

A slight curve-ball to consider is the Zeiss 8x25 VP. I think it's view is more premium to the 8x30 MHG. It's possibly the lack of field flatteners that make it so easy - no focus hunting, as sharp as anything in the centre, natural colour and still pretty wide. It's truly pocketable so I have it with me more than the 8x30 MHG. A premium pocket would give you a portable mini-alpha view that would fit into your current line up well and might satisfy you for long enough to save up for a premium alpha 8x32. If you have the chance to try them or the Swaro version it's worth considering. I wear glasses and those who don't are sometimes not as taken with the Zeiss VP.

Strange that you found a difference in the 8x32 ELs - the FP and non-FP are optically identical including baffles, unless there's an older version of Els I'm not aware of.

Nikon MHG 8x30....as opposed to just the Nikon Monarch. A difference in overall quality.
Meopta Meostar B1.1/ B1 Plus/ B1 (essentially the same) 8x32

Those are the best of the Mohicans...During COVID I did an extensive personal review in the field of almost all of the 8x30 or 8x32's in the sub alpha range, which I assumed was $1000 or less or close to. The only other binocular I would include that I believe beats those two I mentioned would be a 7x35 Leica Retro, which comes close enough to desired size you are questioning about. See my postings on this site under binoculars as I wrote my notes on all. Link below... jim

Last edited:
You could try a used Zeiss 8x32 FL they are running $1,000 - $1,200 these days. If you can stretch your budget a bit more the Zeiss 8x30 SFL are supposedly due out in March.

If you could entertain an even smaller bin than a 30, then the Zeiss Victory Pocket is optically outstanding. You might even find it challenges your EL in some circumstances!

Otherwise, Maven's B3 does, in my view, offer some subtle but important improvements over an M7. I saw subtle improvements in contrast and image distortion. They're also comparatively inexpensive.

Just buy the 8x32 Meostars in classifieds if you need an alpha view.
The depreciation hit has already happened.
They are a bargain if you are after optical quality first and foremost.
They will match your EL's on optical quality.

You could try a used Zeiss 8x32 FL they are running $1,000 - $1,200 these days. If you can stretch your budget a bit more the Zeiss 8x30 SFL are supposedly due out in March.
I'd endorse this (at the noted price, and with the provisos that everyone's eyes - and needs - are different). My 8x32 FLs are my 'default' binoculars - I find them most excellent in all circumstances. I have others (for higher magnification, lower magnification, better light-gathering in gloomier conditions, Porro-prism 3D views etc.) but if I had to forsake all others, it's the 8x32 FLs I'd keep (though I have others I'd find it very hard to part with).

...Mike

Thank you so much for the comments and also the wife tricks! I should try that.

The problem I have with the M7 old model is that I have to hold the M7 at a distance that the eyes are a bit further from eyecups in order to get a perfect view. This makes the viewing less stable. I don’t have this problem with either 8.5x44 ELs or the 8x42 Votex vipers. I notice that the Eye Relief of the old M7 is 15.1 mm. Does this cause the problem in my viewing and what ER I should look for?

Very interesting suggestion for the pocket 25mm class. I never think about this before. Is there any particular limitation (except for low light performance) that I should be careful of? Zeiss victory 8x25 is very temping as it can compliment the 82ED scope and my bird photo setup very well.

I notice that the Eye Relief of the old M7 is 15.1 mm. Does this cause the problem in my viewing and what ER I should look for?
Unfortunately it's not that simple; the issue is really eyecup depth (and facial anatomy) so you just have to try a model and find out. It's more likely to happen with ER >~15mm, or models others have reported a problem with, like that Zeiss 8x25. Sometimes you can get deeper eyecups from another model, or coax them out a bit farther without having them come off (most being removable).

Last edited:
If you could entertain an even smaller bin than a 30, then the Zeiss Victory Pocket is optically outstanding. You might even find it challenges your EL in some circumstances!

Otherwise, Maven's B3 does, in my view, offer some subtle but important improvements over an M7. I saw subtle improvements in contrast and image distortion. They're also comparatively inexpensive.
The other benefit of the B3 is the eyecups come off easily, and have enough thread to add o-rings to increase their length. It's the difference between constant blackouts and a relatively comfortable view for me. I'm not sure about the current M7 but the previous version didn't allow this modification.

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200316173441228_COVER (2) (1).jpeg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200316173441228_COVER (2) (1).jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 27
...Very interesting suggestion for the pocket 25mm class. I never think about this before. Is there any particular limitation (except for low light performance) that I should be careful of? Zeiss victory 8x25 is very temping as it can compliment the 82ED scope and my bird photo setup very well.

Ah, the Zeiss VP is unfortunately known for too-shallow eyecups so may not work well for you given your comments on using the M7. It's a shame because the optics are ridiculously good.

Ah, the Zeiss VP is unfortunately known for too-shallow eyecups so may not work well for you given your comments on using the M7. It's a shame because the optics are ridiculously good.
That is too bad. They seem to be so good for my need. Unfortunately stability is a big thing for me judging by I don’t like to way I have to handle the M7. Still want to try them when I have a chance.

I guess I will be waiting for the SFL8x30 and will see if they fit my need well. I don’t live in the US or UK so getting a second hand will be a bit dificult. But if there are reputable stores that have second hand of EL8x32, SF8x32 or alike, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you for all of suggestions. It is really nice to have a warm welcome community.

Passakorn

You should also look at a second hand Swarovski 8x30 SLC Mark III or IV or a 7x30 Mark III if available, the are built like a tank and they provide sharp views that are razor sharp almost to the edge. Some newer binoculars offer a bigger FOV but the focused sweet spot is only 60% of the total area.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back