• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor - Essex UK (1 Viewer)

djw0208

I had trouble identifying this at first as the size threw me, but am now thinking in is a Hen Harrier because of the white bar on the upper tail.

Is that correct please?

I've not seen one before, so could easily have it completely wrong !!

Attachments

• DSC05628.JPG
    DSC05628.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC05629.JPG
    DSC05629.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 131
Could you give the date, please? Thanks.
It's a harrier, and not a marsh harrier. Seems to have 5-fingered wing and dark secondaries which would make it 1st-winter hen harrier. Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable.

Often see Marsh Harriers there, but didn't recognise this as one, at first I thought it was a Falcon except for size. It was much closer at first but dropped down behind the sea wall before I could take a photo, but then popped back up a little further away, hence why I thought it was too large for a falcon.

thanks Butty…
this picture also appears to have dark wingtips and is supposed to be a pallid harrier ( first picture on page)

very interesting and diffildult for a nice like me to pick out the subtle differences, quickly.

would we always err on the side of Hen Harriers in the Uk?balance of probability

thanks Butty…
this picture also appears to have dark wingtips and is supposed to be a pallid harrier ( first picture on page)

very interesting and diffildult for a nice like me to pick out the subtle differences, quickly.

would we always err on the side of Hen Harriers in the Uk?balance of probability
The number of fingers eliminates Pallid/Montagu's, though of course the latter not found here at this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back