• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

Not guilty guv'nor, I was at work. :-C

It's a good time of year for migrating Whoppers at the moment, hopefully some more will appear during this weekend. :t:

35 WHOPPERS @ utch @ 5.00pm which jammy sod had them eh?:eek!:

Nice to see someone else coverin' this underwatched gem:t:

Andy.

News for the 5th Mar

Great Northern Diver - Belvide until 11.55 then flew off high west.
No sign of the Whooper Swan - Uttoxeter Quarry but Jack Snipe (+39 Goosander)

Extra News for the 4th Mar

3 Waxwing - still at Wilnecote, Tamworth
2w Iceland & ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost & drake Smew - still
2w Iceland Gull - also at Stubber's Green (+ Pink-footed Goose)
redhead Smew - Belvide with 80 Goldeneye

I was fortunate enough to stumble across a Jack Snipe up on the Weaver Hills this afternoon, thanks to a passing flock of sheep.

Also, two female Scaup at JCB South Lake in Rocester. The same two that were at Brookers a fortnight ago.

Looking at the bird on the right, the head looks right but the body colour is different. I'm assuming an immature female. Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 24
from birdguides

firecrest at cannock chase in pine plantation at top of brindley bank at 1300 today. can someone just confirm it was brindley bank, my memory is shocking and the birdguides page wont come up now.

I presume its somewhere near Brindley Heath? I've just spent the past half hour looking over an OS map, a council map and the internet but I can't find it either. I would focus on Brindley Heath area.

from birdguides

firecrest at cannock chase in pine plantation at top of brindley bank at 1300 today. can someone just confirm it was brindley bank, my memory is shocking and the birdguides page wont come up now.

and found by Mr Nessie I believe!

in which case im sorry for stealing your thunder a little by reporting it on here mr nessie. just thought i would get it on here as soon as just so it gave as many people as possible chance to go and find it before the day came to an end.

congrats on a nice find by the way.

adam

Mr Nessie doesn't worry about thunder, so no probs. Glad to see it on here, sorry we couldn't give better location straight away; am sure it'll hang around, perfect habitat and well worth hunting for. In a large mixed flock of goldcrests, long tailed tits, coal tits and tree creepers.
Good luck to anyone who looks
Nat (Mrs Nessie)

Migrants

Nick Pom had what may be the first migrant of the year today - 1 wheatear
at Berryhill SOT unless I'm forgetting one?

Nick Pom had what may be the first migrant of the year today - 1 wheatear
at Berryhill SOT unless I'm forgetting one?

SPRING IS HERE!! WOOO!

Well almost anyway...Spring doesn't start until April for finance workers like me...this is the time of year i actually have to pull my finger out and do some real hard work (well long hours!) for a change...:-O

I think all the main birds of the weekend have been covered on here but i'll do a review of anything missed when i get a chance!

Extra News for the 7th Mar

3 Waxwing - still Wilnecote, Tamworth
redhead Smew - Belvide with 83 Goldeneye (+ Water Rail)
2w Iceland Gull - Stubbers Green
No rare gulls in the Chasewater roost
c12 Crossbill - Hanchurch Woods

Last edited:
Extra News for the 8th March

3 Waxwing - still at Wilnecote, Tamworth
Short-eared Owl - North Staffs Moors near The Mermaid Pub
ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost
Wheatear - still at Berry Hill Fields

I wonder if we will have Sand Martin and LRP back by the weekend in Staffs?

Blithfield

Two adult Kittiwakes through this morning. Also two P.F.Gesse at the top of Tadd.
No sign of any spring migrants yet.

Max

Nice one Max, nice time of year for Kittiwakes in the right conditions...i had one of my best local birding moments with Kittiwake at Belvide with Mr Belvide one March (1991 i think?) when 71 Kittiwakes moved through during the afternoon, including a flock of over 40! To make it better a long staying Great Northern Diver was also present and calling it's head off...it was hard to believe it was Staffs that day...:t:

News for the 10th March

4 Waxwing - an increase of 1 at Wilnecote, Tamworth.

Extra News for the 9th March

ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost

Today

Hi All

Though I understand their authenticity seems to be in doubt still, the six Barnacle Geese were on the far side of the water again at Whitemoor Haye today.

Then I managed to catch up with the nearby Brambling, which was seen yesterday I understand, in the same place... the small triangle of trees and bushes opposite the quarry-site entrance. It was not easy to find, showing twice in the heavy thicket around the middle of the triangle. Also present were several Tree Sparrow , plus a number of Yellowhammer and a single Willow Tit.

Earlier, a Little Egret had flown over the closed-down farmhouse and landed nearby out of view.

And on my way home to Lichfield, following the advice of another birder, I managed to see my first two Little Ringed Plover of the year.

Not a bad afternoon's birding !

Cheers

Andy R.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back