• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Razor 50mm ED vs Opticron MM4 & Razor eyecup design (1 Viewer)

lburt

I'm comparing the Razor with the Opticron for a walkabout very compact scope. We're used to 32mm binos, so feel that the 50mm size will be just fine. Various reports online have the two roughly equal for image quality. The Razor is Chinese, the Opticron Japanese manufacture. Opticron has interchangeable eyepieces, a plus since a low power wide field eyepiece would fit our style of often hand-held viewing. Razor about $700 vs $700 to $1000 for the Opticron, depending on eyepiece. Razor also a little less weight. Angled model Opticron has advantage of rotating collar for more flexibility in viewing.

Angled vs straight: still up in the air about which. Straight through likely better for hand-held or monopod, and low-level observing up close or down from high places. Angled better for phone digiscoping and sharing view when on tripod esp with shorter folks since tripod can be set up lower.

I've found conflicting info about the eyecup design. BH Photo says for sure it's twist up, though their photos appear to show folding. Vortex says no, it's folding. At this price range I expect a scope to have the superior twist up design, as we both wear glasses and will be switching off with/without glasses at times, esp when sharing the view with friends. Maybe there is a newer model with the twist up? Can anyone verify a recent purchase, which type of eyecup?

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Larry Burt
Portland, Oregon

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back