• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Admiral (1 Viewer)

Anyone have any ideas on this Red Admiral,it was the yellow that attracted me to it.
Ian

It looks like a typical Red Admiral that has been exposed to sunlight for some considerable time and the red has faded. Similarly the very dark black/brown base wing colour had faded to a lighter shade of brown.

Given that this species can live as long as eight or nione months in the adult form, it's not surprising their colours fade.

Harry

It looks like a typical Red Admiral that has been exposed to sunlight for some considerable time and the red has faded. Similarly the very dark black/brown base wing colour had faded to a lighter shade of brown.

Given that this species can live as long as eight or nione months in the adult form, it's not surprising their colours fade.

Harry

Thanks for that Harry, I can not recall seeing one so pale but I am a 3rd year newcomer to Butterflies,this year they are scarce in Cumbria as are many other butterflies.
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back