• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-cockaded woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Was delighted to see a red-cockaded woodpecker out my window this morning. If my internet searching is correct, they are endangered. Also I think Ft. Worth is a just a smidgen west for this bird. It sounds like east Texas is normally as far west as they go.

Attachments

• September 1, 2022.mp4
    15 MB
A quick look on eBird doesn't give any sightings as west as Fort Worth. Might be worth recording it on eBird.

A quick look on eBird doesn't give any sightings as west as Fort Worth. Might be worth recording it on eBird.
Mono, thank you. At the risk of sounding stupid, how can I share a video of the bird without sharing my youtube profile...? I uploaded a video to youtube for my friends and family to see but it has all my youtube videos. I am not savvy on these things and would like for the viewer to only see this 1 video if I upload here or on eBird. My apologies for such a dumb question. This is just not my area of expertise. If it were not for iMovie on my phone I could not have even made the video and uploaded it to my YouTube channel.

If you are just using YouTube to share videos with family presumably your videos are marked as private or unlisted. If you make this video public and post the link members here will be able to see it but not any private/unlisted on your channel.

Or if your video is in mp4 format you could just upload it directly to a post.

Hi Ruthie,
thanks for posting the video.
Your bird is a downy woodpecker. There are a few things that rule out red-cockaded, including the broad white stripe up the back, the black cheek patch and the way the white eyebrows meet at the back of the crown.
Red-cockaded woodpecker is very rare even in the areas it occurs so sightings outside of its known range would be highly unusual I think.
all the best,
James

Downy Woodpecker as outlined above and because of the black marks on the otherwise white outer tail feathers.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back