• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-winged Blackbird (1 Viewer)

Marysan

I'm curious to know if Red-winged Blackbirds are common in the UK as they are here. It's really hard to get a photo of one in flight showing the red shoulders. I did get a couple pics of them at Lindo Lake in Lakeside, CA, 01-27-03. The first pic will show the Blackbird perched. The second one will show the the red shoulder markings displayed while making it's calls

Here is Photo #1: Red-winged Blackbird perched and quiet.

Attachments

• 0096rwbb.jpg
    0096rwbb.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 313
Hi Marysan,

I guess the short answer is we don't have any at all over here. Pity as they look quite pretty.
I did find mention of a sighting in 1863 and 1869 when two were shot in Sussex, but there may have been the odd one or two since then.

Hi Marysan,

I'm pleased to speak once again to one of the first kind voices to welcome me to the Forum.

I first saw Red-winged Blackbirds on a Natural History prog mumble mumble years ago.

Always wished I could see one here in the UK - but as IanF says, they don't seem to fancy it much over here!

Do you have Yellow-winged (or something similar perhaps) as well, or is my age catching up with me?

We do not get them here, in fact we dont get blackbirds at all here, so it was good to see your pics - I especially liked the one showing the red flashes when it calls - really showy!

Well, now I'm glad I asked. This is the only pic I've been able to get of the Red-winged Blackbird in flight, and I've tried many times. This photo was taken 0n 03-20-02 with my Nikon CP 775.

Attachments

• rwbb3-20-02.jpg
    rwbb3-20-02.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 299
Thank you, birdman. There is the Yellow-headed Blackbird and it does occur here but I've never seen one. The Red-winged and the Tri-colored Blackbirds are common in Southern California.

MarySan those are wonderful shots of the red winged.. do you have the tri-coloured ones?
We are a major nesting site for red wings and Yellow headed BB and Boblinks... every March. Great to see your pics. Don't you love that rusy gate hinge quality to their calls.

Thanks, Gaye. Yes, the Tricolored are common here also. Open-winged, the Tricolored don't seem as striking to me as the Red-winged are.

That was interesting information from you, TonyK, thanks. And thanks for the compliment.

Great photo of a red-winged showing his epaulettes. I didn't know there was a tricoloured!. Had to get out the old 'western' bird book, says they are mostly in California. We get loads of the red-winged in Saskatchewan, they are one of our most abundant birds during the summer. Thanks for the great information.

All we get is plain Blackbirds,how come you get all the fancy ones on your side of the great pond?:-C

Geoff :t:

Last edited:
Well your blackbird shots are a darn sight better than any I have taken that's for sure Marysan. I usually see these guys when the robins and waxwings invade for about a week or so around this time of year but have not seen any yet.

hey Kc- are you as unamused as I am at comments about these wonderful birds by someone (ahem) who professed to blast them out of the air with a shotgun not all that long ago? Guess I should consider the source and stop biting my tounge.

Good grief Cin! A shotgun?? How in heaven's name could anyone resort to that kind of action? How could anyone behave so barbarically and still profess a love of birds?

Last edited:
OK IanF own up! "1863..1869..shot in Sussex" - how come you know so much about it? You (very) old murderer you! Mind you TonyK seems a bit quick off the mark with the cries of innocence, and he's a lot nearer.. Seriously though, I hope we're not witnessing the start of a "flame war" carried over from another forum. Let's do like in the Wild West and leave all our shooting irons at the town limits, shall we?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back