• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redshank in Thailand (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird watchers!

Birding at eBird hotspot Pathum Thani Rice Research Center in Thailand. I passed the bird and I took a picture and instantly ID the bird as a Common Redshank and I did not give it any more thoughts. Until I got home to look at the pictures.

The bird on the attached picture have a red lower bill and the upper bill is black as a Spotted Redshank. The Common Redshank have both upper and lower bill red.

So my thought is that the bird is a Spotted Redshank moulting from winter to breeding plumage. In my book the bill look the same for winter and breeding plumage, both spotted and common.

Am I wrong in my changed ID?

Kind Regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

Attachments

• 945.jpg
    945.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 60
Hello Aladdin,

no you identified the bird correct: its a Spotted Redshank moulting from winter to summer plumage.

I cant detect any juvenile feather (coverts, tertials), so it might well be an adult bird.
Thank you very much!

It is hard some times with the ID. The books have winter uniform and breeding uniform. So it requires a wee bit of imagination to ID the bird moulting. But this time it was the bill give it away.

Thank you again, highly appreciated!!
Aladdin

Could you give the date, please? Thanks.
I don't see any sign of moulting into breeding/summer plumage - they're black! I've not checked feather details but I imagine it still has a lot of juvenile feathering.

Thanks Butty!

I took the picture yesterday, 19th of March. I have attached a picture of a Black Spotted Redshank that I took in May at Laem Pak Bia Salt Pans.

The only reason for me to come to the conclusion that the bird is a Spotted is because of the bill. In my book the breeding bird is black but the non breeding is white belly and throat and the neck is very light grey and the wings are a little darker grey.

So this is why I was ID the bird as spotted, half way between almost white and black. The only thing I can see that is not changing is the bill, black upper and the fist centimeters are red on the lower part of the bill before turning to black 3/4 of the lenght

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 829.jpg
    829.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 11
Could you give the date, please? Thanks.
I don't see any sign of moulting into breeding/summer plumage - they're black! I've not checked feather details but I imagine it still has a lot of juvenile feathering.
Sorry Butty!

Now I think I understand, I think going from white to black and it is grey in between. Now I fell like an idiot, of course, the feathers are not changing colour (I think) so the black feathers are growing out and the bird is going from very light the black without the feathers are turning grey.

Kind Regards
Aladdin

The most consistent feature on which to identify spotted redshank (apart from bill-colouring, which I think always works) is the slim elegant structure - primarily the long fine bill. In addition, winter-plumaged birds typically look quite strikingly pale grey and white.
the feathers are not changing colour (I think)
Correct. Though they may abrade as they get older, which means primarily that feather-tips are worn away, and thus any markings or colours on the tips may be reduced or disappear.

The most consistent feature on which to identify spotted redshank (apart from bill-colouring, which I think always works) is the slim elegant structure - primarily the long fine bill. In addition, winter-plumaged birds typically look quite strikingly pale grey and white.

Correct. Though they may abrade as they get older, which means primarily that feather-tips are worn away, and thus any markings or colours on the tips may be reduced or disappear.
Thank you!

Highly appreciated! And I know about the feathers, but I was just thinking light to black and grey in between. Well, thanks again!

Kind Regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

I work with my pictures now and I will soon post a picture of a what I think is a Yellow Wagtail in strange plumage.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back