• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Retro Search: Zeiss Dialyt or Leitz Trinovid? (1 Viewer)

Howdy! While I'm new to the forum, I've been a birder for many years; bought my first pair of Zeiss bins duty-free at the Frankfurt airport when it was still in West Germany!

My current go-to bins are a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, with a pair of compact Zeiss TL 10x25 for travel.

I'm looking for some midsize retro bins to round out my birding optics. I've been considering the Zeiss Dialyt 10x40B, Leitz Trinovid 7x35B, or Leitz Trinovid 8x40B.

Of these, which would you choose? If you don't like those choices, please feel free and suggest another alternative, keeping in mind my budget for this purchase is around US$300-$700. Thanks in advance for your advice and counsel!

I would go for the Leitz 7x35, if it is in excellent condition, despite the slightly warm image tone optically a very nice bino. Don‘t go for 10x as the lack of phase coating in these years is painfully recognizable (I have both the 7x35 and 10x40). Beware that the short eye relief makes it hard for spectacle wearers to see the entire FOV.

Just my 2 ct.
Canip

Thanks again for your advice and counsel, which was very useful.

When confronted with an abundance of choices, the solution is often to acquire one of each! And yes, I'll admit I suffer from the highly-infectious GAB Syndrome (Get Another Binocular)...

After trying to decide between the venerable Leitz Trinovid and Zeiss Dialyt models, I bought an example of each in pristine condition:
  • 1986 Leitz Trinovid 7x35 BA
  • 1993 Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BG/AT*P
Both are rubber armored in black. Interestingly, each was sold by a member of the forum!

I'll be very interested in compare the operation of the Uppendahl and Schmidt-Pechan prisms. The Leitz probably doesn't have phase-compensating coatings, while the Zeiss does. I'll do the optical test to verify that.

I bought these binoculars to replace a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 that I decided to give to a close friend. While I realize the optics in the older bins won't match the Conquests, I'm sure they'll be more than sufficient for my birding. And I do love the retro look!

Last edited:
Another big difference between the Trinnie and the Dialyt is that the Zeiss focuses by moving the objectives.

Lee

Hi,

It is worth bearing in mind that Zeiss still service, and hold parts for, the Dialyts

There are few, if any, parts left for the Leitz Trinovids and servicing is no longer carried out on these by Leica.

Gary
@garymh Can you tell me what year my new Zeiss Dialyt 10x40B/GAT*P were made? Serial number 607960.

Thanks!

I have recently bought a pair of 60's/70's Dialyte 8x30, which need a new set of rubber eye cups and East Coast Binoculars have replaced them free of charge!, you don't get that from Leica

Howdy! While I'm new to the forum, I've been a birder for many years; bought my first pair of Zeiss bins duty-free at the Frankfurt airport when it was still in West Germany!

My current go-to bins are a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, with a pair of compact Zeiss TL 10x25 for travel.

I'm looking for some midsize retro bins to round out my birding optics. I've been considering the Zeiss Dialyt 10x40B, Leitz Trinovid 7x35B, or Leitz Trinovid 8x40B.

Of these, which would you choose? If you don't like those choices, please feel free and suggest another alternative, keeping in mind my budget for this purchase is around US$300-$700. Thanks in advance for your advice and counsel!
The old Trinovids are like an old Ferrari -- their beauty is timeless. For me, no binocular has ever felt as good in the hand. Lightweight, nimble, and incredibly comfortable to carry and use, especially on a hike. Optically a masterpiece for its day.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back