• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Retrovid 8x40: A brief review (1 Viewer)

Sorry, Chuck, I disagree! I wrote about the 8x40 after having looked at it with my eyes only.

There is plenty for you to say about the 7x35, and if you have time, I would really appreciate a review from your side.

How do you find CA in the 7x35? One of my main questions I had about the 7x35, different people see CA very differently.
How is it compared to the 7x42 - brightness, contrast, etc? Handling (it is tiny, can you hold it as steady as the 7x42?) ?
I found the 8x40 quite „edge-sharp“ - how do you rate the 7x35 in this respect?
Stray-light resistance - how would you rate it?

etc etc etc

(This will allow to put the story about the various Retrovids together - maybe we find someone to rate the 10x40 as well?)

Your input will be extremely welcome!

Canip

Canip,

I agree with you, it would be interesting to learn more about the 7x35 model and another review will be extremely welcome.

Actually, I looked trough the 8x40, only half an hour at the store and compared it the with the Noctivid. Then I purchaised the 7x35, but I can not say ist there is any difference in CA, at the Leica store I was not aware of CA either in the 8x40 or the 7x35.

I would have expected that CA increases with power/aperture, so the 7x35 should have the smallest. If you look carefully, the 7x35 has some CA. In the center it seems to me a question of eye position, but to the edges you can clearly see it.

Thomas

Andy,

it was at a Leica Store inside a big department store, KaDeWe in Berlin, so not the best location for comparing binoculars.

In a nutshell, the Noctivid has a wider field of view- you immeaditely see if you switich back and forth - and its edge sharpness is clearly better. In the center of the image I did not see much difference, but I guess a very critical observer might see it, especially under better conditions.

Thomas

p.s. I hope that the 7x35 can replace my Zeiss Vitory pocket 8x25, it is clearly a step up, optically and mechanically, and I believe small and compact enogh for carrying it allmost eveytime with me. I would never consider the Noctivid for such purpose, it seem so me an almost perfect but very differen type of binocular

Last edited:
Thanks for your observations Thomas, the Victory 8X25 is in a class by it self, let us know how you like the 7X35.

Andy W.

The Retrovid 7x35 @ 4.2 x 5.2 in. is pretty close in dimensions to the Zeiss Victory 8x25 @ 4.4 x 4.5 in. but as Thomas says clearly a step up optically and mechanically. The 5mm exit pupil of the Retrovid makes it much more usable in low light and more comfortable with easier eye placement. Also, the Retrovid's eye cups are bigger so they don't go as deep into your eye socket's creating black out problems like the Zeiss.

Last edited:
To my information the 4 divisions (Camera, Micro, Bio and Geo) are completely independent Companies. They share only the brand, nothing else. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

This is different from Swarovski, here the 3 divisions are independent but belong to the same owner family.

I hadn't investigated ownership and confess I assumed these companies are 'related' because they share the same website, but looking more closely at the website I am sure you are right. Thank you for pointing this out.

Lee

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder how many binoculars Leica sells. I don't think it is near Swarovski, Vortex or even Zeiss. They just don't seem to market them as well IMO.

With the consequence that Leica owners must feel terribly left alone by the company they bought there binoculars from. Me thinks buying a Leica is not for the faint hearted.

Renze

Last edited:
The UVs have not really changed from the BR to the HD+.Andy W.

Is this meant as negative? I think that's not necessarily so. One could very well argue that the Ultravid was a good design from the start, so good in fact that only incremental changes were needed to keep the model up-to-date. Or is the HD+ an obsolete design?

Renze

Leica

Is this meant as negative? I think that's not necessarily so. One could very well argue that the Ultravid was a good design from the start, so good in fact that only incremental changes were needed to keep the model up-to-date. Or is the HD+ an obsolete design?

Renze

Renze,

I guess the statement could have been taken two ways. The original BR is still very good glass today, at least to my eyes they are, and no the HD+ is not an obsolete design.

Andy W.

Leica underclothes?
:eek!:
I didn‘t know this actually exists ....

(My wife seems to start thinking that I am frequenting the wrong forum)

Attachments

• 27E65D52-1541-4722-A381-8ECEFB10D080.jpg
    27E65D52-1541-4722-A381-8ECEFB10D080.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I recommend the Vintage Leica Classic Thong. It has the most freedom and they go with the Retrovid. I understand the "Brief" review now.

Last edited:
I think it‘s time to open a new thread about underwear, don‘t you think?

Where in BF can we place that?

Canip

:eek!: I am faint hearted, and I bought a Leica.

What is going to happen to me??? :-C

Marginalisation, exclusion. Grave lack of interest in your gear. Waning interest in you as a birder. Diminished attention for you as a human being. You will gradually become shy of birder's assemblies, avoiding birder's hot spots, return in your footsteps when spotting groups of Swaro aficionados. Or even one of them.
(All this has happened to me, excuse me).

Renze

I think I can live with all that ... esp. with my newly acquired Vintage Leica Classic Thong:-O

Speaking of thong - a THING that I found useful to equip the Retrovid with in the snowy weather of the last few days (I am in the mountains currently) is objective covers - I found my own, since Leica doesn't supply them with the Retrovid.

Canip

Attachments

• IMG_4047.jpg
    IMG_4047.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 184
I think it‘s time to open a new thread about underwear, don‘t you think?

Where in BF can we place that?

Well there's 'Birds and Planes' and 'Birds and Cars' threads in the general forums so why not 'Optics and Underwear'??

(But 'Ruffled Feathers' would be the real obvious place) ... or maybe not at all ... ;)

Can see a real problem with people purchasing from the website linked above (#52), lots of confusion and returns and upset customers ... 'Can't see a thing ...these binoculars are pants'

I think I can live with all that ... esp. with my newly acquired Vintage Leica Classic Thong:-O

Speaking of thong - a THING that I found useful to equip the Retrovid with in the snowy weather of the last few days (I am in the mountains currently) is objective covers - I found my own, since Leica doesn't supply them with the Retrovid.

Canip

Aahhh, you did found some Far East components:eek!::eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back