• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the very thorough review, as usual, Lee. Sadly, acquiring those binoculars will not grant me your powers of observation or encyclopedic knowledge of all winged creatures, but we can only strive...

Take care,

— Fazal

Fazal, you are sadly mistaken concerning my knowledge of winged creatures which would require a lot of work to reach half way to the position you credit me with. Thank you all the same.

Lee

Be interesting to hear how the edges look under the stars, maybe also see how Venus looks as it gets close to the edges too. Given myself an unpleasant surprise with some bins I had previously thought of as good when used in the daytime when I tested them at night.
Great review

Peter

Better stick to using them during the day then Peter, where they don't give unpleasant surprises! Thanks for your kind words.

Lee

One thing that doesn't come across in my photos although you can see this on the Zeiss website and that is the change in barrel shape of SF32 compared with SF42. The latter has curvaceous 'shoulders' whereas the 32 has a more trim figure, somewhat echoing the sophisticated restraint of the Victory Pockets. Take a look below to see what I mean. SF 42 on the left. The icon of the SF32 pic gives the impression of a small pic but don't be deceived, it opens up to a good-sized photo.

Lee

Attachments

• A1SF_8x42_black_.jpg
    A1SF_8x42_black_.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 160
  • A2SF_x32_FRONTAL.jpg
    A2SF_x32_FRONTAL.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 217
Thanks Tom but just because you try SF32 and like it that doesn't mean you have to stop enjoying FL32. They are such different characters in the hand I think you could enjoy them both at different times.

Lee

That's true, Lee. I just feel I need to stand back a bit as it's so easy to get carried away!

Tom

One thing that doesn't come across in my photos although you can see this on the Zeiss website and that is the change in barrel shape of SF32 compared with SF42. The latter has curvaceous 'shoulders' whereas the 32 has a more trim figure, somewhat echoing the sophisticated restraint of the Victory Pockets. Take a look below to see what I mean. SF 42 on the left. The icon of the SF32 pic gives the impression of a small pic but don't be deceived, it opens up to a good-sized photo.

Lee
Man. The SF 8x32 is a LOT smaller than the SF 8x42!

Thanks a lot for this review a great effort on this days.

I miss pictures of front lenses, how coatings look may be very interesting.

Thanks !!!!

Thanks a lot for this review a great effort on this days.

I miss pictures of front lenses, how coatings look may be very interesting.

Thanks !!!!

It is tempting to draw conclusions from the colours reflected by lens coatings but, sadly, there is little to be learned from them.

There is a thread discussing this very topic at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=388326

And I urge you to take a special look at the post from Joachim who writes:
"Hi,

while there are certain differences in the color rendition of various binocular brands, the strong multicolored reflections sometimes seen on modern multicoated lenses are not the reason for them.

If these strong reflections were the reason for the differences in color rendition, the transmission curve would be quite low for the reflected wavelengths and the image through these bins would have a strong tint instead the observed slightly warm or cold color rendition.

Also please note that these reflections only occur at angles far from the optical axis - and multicoatings are tuned to perform only in the general direction of the optical axis.

There are some cheap bins which use strongly colored coatings at all angles for show effect (usually red) - these are not meant here and will show quite pronounced tints - apart from other aberrations...

Joachim"

Thank you for your interest.

Lee

Now you really are being too kind Edmund but thank you.

Lee

Actually I am being neither kind nor flattering.

These are remarkably good product shots showing an instrument in a setting and imbuing it with emotion by context, they are visually strong and they would make good advertising. In my opinion.

I think I am happy with my Victory 8x25, Zeiss seems to have decided to be ‘professional’ with larger somewhat bulky glasses for the bird crowd, and although I really love the view they are Just too large. As I age and walk, I find every item of carry or clothing counts. The thought of the view of the 10x42 in a x32 makes me waaaaant , the thought of its weight makes me think ‘live another day’. The feeling of swift balanced and unencumbered walking trumps the view. If I felt otherwise, my 7x42 UV HD would not have been able to hide in a cupboard :)

Edmund

Last edited:
Actually I am being neither kind nor flattering.

These are remarkably good product shots showing an instrument in a setting and imbuing it with emotion by context, they are visually strong and they would make good advertising. In my opinion.

I think I am happy with my Victory 8x25, Zeiss seems to have decided to be ‘professional’ with larger somewhat bulky glasses for the bird crowd, and although I really love the view they are Just too large. As I age and walk, I find every item of carry or clothing counts. The thought of the view of the 10x42 in a x32 makes me waaaaant , the thought of its weight makes me think ‘live another day’. The feeling of swift balanced and unencumbered walking trumps the view. If I felt otherwise, my 7x42 UV HD would not have been able to hide in a cupboard :)

Edmund

Edmund your words encourage me to try even harder next time I photo binos. It is a part of the reviewing process that I really enjoy.

Your comments about weight are similar to ours. My wife only uses 32mm now and I use 32s about half the time and I can easily see a time not so far away when 32mm will become my default choice for daytime observation.

But if you think you could carry the weight of two Victory Pockets on some of your walks then you could manage to carry one SF32 give or take the weight the weight of a packet of Gauloise. But why should you bother with this when the Victory Pocket provides all your needs? The best way to find out is to try out an SF32 when they reach Paris.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_3515Red.jpg
    IMG_3515Red.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2784 Red.jpg
    IMG_2784 Red.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 163
One thing that doesn't come across in my photos although you can see this on the Zeiss website and that is the change in barrel shape of SF32 compared with SF42. The latter has curvaceous 'shoulders'

The SF 42 is a bit reminiscent of the Perger Porro prism Leica Geovid.

Last edited:
Very nice review Lee, I guess I`d better start saving now !

I still have questions about Zeiss` quality control though, especially as my 42SF recently back from Germany still has a lot of dust in it, how is your sample of the 32 ?

30% more than an SV, ouch.

Stay safe, your presence on these pages is always appreciated.

John.

Very nice review Lee, I guess I`d better start saving now !

I still have questions about Zeiss` quality control though, especially as my 42SF recently back from Germany still has a lot of dust in it, how is your sample of the 32 ?

30% more than an SV, ouch.

Stay safe, your presence on these pages is always appreciated.

John.

Hi John

The SF is packed up ready for going back to Zeiss unfortunately. All the units I handled at the Preview were fine.

Stay safe yourself John

Lee

Last edited:
8x30 are proper bins for when you want to go out and observe stuff, the smaller ones are “always on you” bins for when anything is better than nothing (papilio in my case, but those Victory sound very good too).

Many people seem to want to carry bigger glass for “light gathering”, even though they’ll hardly ever need it. You’re not gaining a lot in exit pupil but you’ll notice the extra weight after a while.

Peter

I prefer one binocular to cover most of my needs instead of collecting custom sizes for any specific job or light situation. Some 8x30 is pretty good for general use but I found my 10x50 to be pretty good at it too providing good performance and magnification even in lower light conditions. I happen to walk through dense forest or observe deer from a distance at dusk often even on cloudy or rainy days. So "light gathering" is of practical value while higher weight or size is no big disadvantage to me. I accept that this is purely a matter of taste and personal preferences.

I prefer one binocular to cover most of my needs instead of collecting custom sizes for any specific job or light situation. Some 8x30 is pretty good for general use but I found my 10x50 to be pretty good at it too providing good performance and magnification even in lower light conditions. I happen to walk through dense forest or observe deer from a distance at dusk often even on cloudy or rainy days. So "light gathering" is of practical value while higher weight or size is no big disadvantage to me. I accept that this is purely a matter of taste and personal preferences.

Hi Sebzwo,

May I ask how you well you find you can hold your 10x50 steady? Do you usually try to support it by say leaning against something or is it comfortable unassisted? I just ask because this is something that puts me off heavier glass even though I know it often confers an easier view. My 8x56 FL is a good example; perhaps the fact yours is a 50 rather than a 56 makes all the difference. I agree with you and actually, as someone pointed out to me on Birdforum, even 32 let alone smaller sizes aren't known for an easy view on the whole - generalizing dangerously!

Tom

From my experience heavier gets easier to hold. Especially with wind like next to the Channel coast in Belgium or France where I spent time or similar. I use my arms down to the elbows as "struts" or pick some tree or hunter's observation post as a base for my arms. But standing free and hand holding them is entirely possible and I do it frequently. That is the charm of 10 fold magnification. More magnification will become trickier to hand hold. And a certain wide field of view is still left using one of the better brand's 10x.

The disadvantage for many might be a tad more weight. Like 1300 grams for my Docter Nobilem 10x50 that might be not be "Alpha" to many but that is just perfect for me.
I certainly don't want to bring people away from 8x30 size which is great for everyday and general use especially in a top configuration like this new small SF.

Last edited:
Hi Florian

Here they are side-by-side. IMHO this is neither flattering nor unflattering to either of them. They are both the size they need to be.

Lee

Thanks Lee, very instructive nice comparative shot. Clearly shows that we "can't have the cake and eat it too" as the saying goes. Either we want the absolute optical peak, or we feel we can get by with a bit less at the benefit of a considerably smaller package.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back