• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Salzburg in August (1 Viewer)

nickderry

C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.
As part of "Zippy drives around Europe - the Adventures of a Renault Super5" I'll be stopping over in Salzburg for a day or two this August. It's not really a birding trip, but I was hoping there may be somewhere on my route where I could see at least Alpine Chough. Any information gratefully received.

Alpine Chough You can find on almost each peak in this area and in Bavarian to.
If You open Your lunch paket the will like You.

In Salzburg area e.g. in Untersberg area.
There is also transport Untersbergbahn.
http://www.untersbergbahn.at/en

Untersberg is nice panoramic view, but mostly in august the weather is to warm for nice view.
Much better is Septmeber and October.

How is about Chough ( Crave a bec rouge ) ?
Where is possible to find it, only in french alps or also in other mountain areas ?

Last edited:
well, I spent a whole morning in a cloud on the Untersberg, luckily there was just enough light and visibility to have a good look (and listen to) a flock of about 150 Alpine Choughs that were present for about half an hour. The only other birds present were a griffon vulture, a few chiffchaffs and a nutcracker that flew past on the summit. Anybody who visits, don't get caught out like I did on the cablecar- the 'Berg' ticket is only one way, for a return you need the 'Berg und Tal'.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back