• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (6 Viewers)

im sure i saw a nuthatch today about teatime the bird was in the trees to the left of the dump area,the light was very low and i couldnt see any colour it was the shape of the bird that got me thinking nithatch,with no positive id i wont count it,had my first bumble bee of the year in camperdown park
Intriguing sighting. Certainly not too far away from Balgay and Ninewells Arboretum and as we were into double figures last summer (6 adults and at least 10 youngsters) not completely impossible as birds potentially seek out their own territories. However, I'm not sure the habitat at the park is 'right' for Nuthatch as they appear to prefer larger/more mature trees than those which are around at the park (and a quick look at Birds of the Western Palearctic seems to confirm that). Will be interesting to see if anyone else sees/hears it over next wee while.

I was at the park yesterday and managed to pick out a distant Shelduck out on the mud - the first I've seen there in months (and my 92nd species seen from within Dundee this year - my target is 145). Another surprise was a Kestrel hunting, mostly around the road/railway but also over the fields by the road before it flew low over the hill in the direction of the airport.

Attachments

• S2124034.jpg
    S2124034.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 9
  • S2124201.jpg
    S2124201.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 9
when i first spotted the bird from a distance i thought it might be a goldcrest as i have seen them in this tree before but as i had more views i noticed it was not a goldcrest neither a wren as i said it was the shape that was different glad to hear a kestrel has put in an appearance, remember when we used to see them on a weekly basis i even had one perched on a post right above my car, they seem to disappear roughly the same time the magpies appeared

Attachments

• kestrel316.jpg
    kestrel316.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 6
Sparrowhawks seem to have coped with the Magpie increase without any problems despite the males being a similar sort of size to the Kestrels. Kestrels around the city as a whole have been relatively few and far between for a few years but surprisingly I had 2 together over Eastern Cemetery at dusk a week and a half ago, which was a first time there for me. West Pitkerro Industrial Estate/Clearwater Park seems to have a few these days too, and there is often one near the Baldovie incinerator area too. Not sure what has changed but they do seem to have rallied again. Hopefully that trend will continue.

On 28th of December 2021 I saw a 'different' looking bunting (pics below) at the park in the small tree/bush on the west side of the hill, up from the toilet, which I carefully negotiated my way around taking photos from a starting point with the low winter sun directly behind the bird until I had almost a side-on view with the sun behind me. It looked rather brown but there was a slight yellowish hue to some of the photos of the flanks of the bird, possibly as a result of the low sun. I had a better look at the photos at home, and changed the white balance settings and exposure trying to get an accurate representation of what the bird was. I then made the mistake of focussing on that yellow colouring and a single ID feature that seemed to be present on the bird and decided that a(n immature) Yellowhammer -a species which breeds in the park, was the most likely species, rather than anything more unusual. The bird had appeared to be Yellowhammer sized and I couldn't make it fit any of the rarer bunting species, despite these often being tricky to ID. However, I was never completely at ease with the ID and something about the bird continued to niggle away in my head on and off over the past year or so. For some reason the bird came to mind again last night and I decided to post photos on Twitter asking if anyone agreed with 'dull Yellowhammer'. It wasn't a Yellowhammer, it was a Corn Bunting. Usually I have no problems ID-ing Corn Buntings - though granted I usually see them where I expect to possibly run into them, but I think unconscious bias due to being at the park played its part in me disregarding the relatively fine streaking on the breast and flanks and also the yellow-ish looking bill. Rushing to get my blog-post for the day done to focus on my annual round-up post probably didn't help either. Regardless of my 'schoolboy error' and just how I got there, we do have a new bird for the park list. This takes the list to 157 species since June 18th 2011.
The correct order of the new additions for the past 2 years is...

147. Crossbill
148. Yellow Legged Gull
149. Barnacle Goose
150. Razorbill
151. Red Throated Diver
152. Barred Warbler
153. Corn Bunting
154. Hen Harrier
155. Sanderling
156. Grey Plover
157. Green Sandpiper

Attachments

• DSC_7387_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7387_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_7385_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7385_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC_7383_211228-1243-EDIT_01.JPG
    DSC_7383_211228-1243-EDIT_01.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_7383_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7383_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_7381_211228-1243-EDIT_01.JPG
    DSC_7381_211228-1243-EDIT_01.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC_7381_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7381_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC_7380_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7380_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7378_211228-1243-EDIT_01.JPG
    DSC_7378_211228-1243-EDIT_01.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC_7378_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7378_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC_7377_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7377_211228-1243-EDIT.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC_7365_211228-1242-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7365_211228-1242-EDIT.JPG
    925.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7363_211228-1242-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7363_211228-1242-EDIT.JPG
    718.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_7356_211228-1241-EDIT.JPG
    DSC_7356_211228-1241-EDIT.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 3
Keith Edwards added another new bird to the park list yesterday with a Snow Bunting passing through on its way north. That takes the list to 158 since the park opened in June 2011.

Thousands of saplings have been planted recently across most of the 'lower' half of the park, leaving only a very small area of 'grassland' compared to what we had before. I suspect the number and coverage of all these extra trees will move even more of the dog walkers who use the park - most who frequent the upper half as it is - into the top half, leading to even more disturbance during the breeding season to the ground nesting birds in the park.

On that note...
Skylark sign season got underway on the 1st of the month. I was at the park for sunrise - 0645 and was there until around 1115. Despite the very early start, I met a dog walker already arriving back at the car park as I passed through (her dog was on a lead). In the time I was there, I spent most of my time in the upper half. Of 26 dogs seen in that time, only 5 were on leads in that half of the park. Acccording to one of the dog walkers who instigated a conversation, the reason that the signs are largely ignored is that they are all on the right hand side(?). They're not - all bar one are on the left hand side when travelling anti-clockwise - as he had. Anyway, hopefully the percentage of those complying will increase as time goes on, but 'eh hae ma doobts'.

158. Snow Bunting

It is depressing, Delia. Just as in the cemeteries in the city where on a daily basis you can see dog owners throwing a ball for their 'off the lead' pet among 'active' parts or wandering on ahead while their pet does their business wherever they feel like - despite there having been signs in place for years to keep dogs on a lead, it is the same disregard shown from an apparently ever increasing majority.

Keith Edwards managed to add yet another new species to the park list last Tuesday, with a summer plumaged Golden Plover in the bay. Unfortunately for me, it flew off before I got there, and despite hanging around till high tide it failed to reappear for me. It is a species that is actually shown on the information board by the hide but all previous sightings (that I'm aware of) must have been prior to the opening of the park.
Did have good views of an Osprey over the bay on Tuesday (following on from 3 sightings on the Saturday). A pair of Pintail have been lingering though hirundines have been slow in arriving so far.

159 : Golden Plover

Attachments

• S4181356.jpg
    S4181356.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 5
  • S4181360.jpg
    S4181360.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 5
  • S4181369.jpg
    S4181369.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 5
Nice one with the plover report Barry.

Those are superb pictures you've taken of the Osprey. Hope to catch you up on that with some take at Kinnordy before too long LOL

Nice one with the plover report Barry.

Those are superb pictures you've taken of the Osprey. Hope to catch you up on that with some take at Kinnordy before too long LOL
I'm sure you'll get Osprey at Kinnordy at some point, Delia. I'm hoping that Tuesday's Osprey is the same bird as last year which fished regularly in the bay throughout the summer - though I haven't yet checked last year's pics to see if they might be. Also I'm hoping that last year's Marsh Harrier which I managed to see 3 times (I think) shows up again. The Hen Harrier again would also be good (though very unlikely).

Yeah... since I got back from Australia, visits to Kinnordy were curtailed due to Covid for 2020/21 then my health took a hit, so just got in short visits in 2022. I'm banking on this year to get some nice ones as I'm sure this P900 will do a good job much easier than my previous cameras did.

I still have to play it by ear though, as to when I can go.... strong pain killers and driving aren't a good mix!

Given your proximity to some reasonably large bodies of water, I suspect you wouldn't have to go all the way to Kinnordy for an Osprey 'fix'. Looking on Google Earth, taking a deckchair or similar, down to the side of Clunie Loch (at Clunie Parish Church) might prove productive - and the sun would be at your back. Good chance of other species too. It does appear there may be a few potential parking spaces along the eastern side of the Loch too. Some of the other Lochs around Blair might also be productive but Clunie looked the best for parking, and short walking distance to near the water.

Thanks for that Barry, however, the last time I passed the road down to Clunie Church (a couple of weeks ago) I was shocked to see there was a barrier across saying road closed... and that was a Sunday morning too!! I plan to pass by again in the next few weeks to check on the situation - I really can't see how it can be permanently closed?

Weekends I've found all the laybyes around the loch are filled with fishermen

My main object in that direction is to get a decent picture of the Red Kites which seem to be living in the hills around Upper Forneth. At the moment they don't seem to be coming too close to the road, but I live in hope LOL. I'm hoping, too, that there may be kites in the Essendy/Lethendy area, as the habitat would seem to be perfect for them..... they'll soon be sailing over my flat!!

Some of the other lochs aren't easy to get to on bad pins.

Disappointing on the barrier. I had a feeling that fishermen would be rather numerous around the Lochs in that area. Weekdays might be less crowded - though maybe not greatly so? As for Red Kites, I'm hoping for one from my living room sooner or later, having already had 2 sightings in Dundee this year - one at Riverside Nature Park and one by Baldovie recycling centre. If you're down this way and want to potentially see an Osprey, you could park in Station Road, Invergowrie near the railway station and watch from the car. If everything panics, it'll be an Osprey, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk (or White Tailed Eagle, Marsh Harrier etc). Downside is you're against the light, which if it is sunny is a bit annoying. From the car park at the park to the picnic tables is a third of a mile walk, in each direction. Maybe Kinnordy (or Loch of the Lowes) is a better bet after all.

Yes.... Kinnordy seems to be getting very busy now, even on weekdays! Quite a lot of cars in the carpark on Wednesday - hadn't heard if there was anything unusual there that day? However, I can usually get in, and there's usually space in the Gullery hide for me.

Thanks for the reminder of the Invergowrie road by the station - I'd rather forgotten about it as it's quite a while since I've been down there.

From the car park at the park to the picnic tables is a third of a mile walk, in each direction.
Yeah... bit too far for me at the moment - hopefully my op will come soon and my mobility will be improved a bit.

Thanks for that Barry, however, the last time I passed the road down to Clunie Church (a couple of weeks ago) I was shocked to see there was a barrier across saying road closed... and that was a Sunday morning too!! I plan to pass by again in the next few weeks to check on the situation - I really can't see how it can be permanently closed?

Weekends I've found all the laybyes around the loch are filled with fishermen

My main object in that direction is to get a decent picture of the Red Kites which seem to be living in the hills around Upper Forneth. At the moment they don't seem to be coming too close to the road, but I live in hope LOL. I'm hoping, too, that there may be kites in the Essendy/Lethendy area, as the habitat would seem to be perfect for them..... they'll soon be sailing over my flat!!

Some of the other lochs aren't easy to get to on bad pins.

I had Osprey on my window list when I lived in Blair :)
Stormont Loch is your best bet.

Oh.... whereabouts did you stay in Blair?

Re Stormont... not been round it for ages. There was a wee car park at the beginning of the road, but sadly I'd not be able to walk up there now sadly.

i headed out today after the rain finally stopped at 5,had 3 first of the year birds the first was an osprey circling at the bay the other 2 were willow warbler and whitethroat both seen and heard,a pheasant was calling at the dump area im sure this is only my second encounter with a pheasant in the park,lots of chiffchaffs about plus greenfinch/yellowhammer/skylarks/bullfinch/wren/ dunnocks /go;dfinch,the moorhens were nestbuilding and have chosen a different spot this year,magpies were everywhere as usual in the trees in the bushes on the grass plus sitting on lamp posts ,on arriving back at my car i found a pair preening each other and giving a single pitched call at the same time,last week a lesser black backed gull was on the pipe with 2 large juvs,the 2 juvs were doing a short jump in the air then sticking their head under the water,didnt see any of them catching a fish if thats what they were doing,after leaving the park i had a walk around ardler pond,no sign of the mutes up here for a second week,this pair usually have the highest number of cygnets in our area,a lttle grebes and 3 dodgy ducks were the only birds on the water,plenty of maller birds in the bushes/reeds around the pond,reedbuntings/dunnocks/goldfinch /blue tits plus a good number of house martins on the wing,when leaving i spotted 2 birds chasing each other in the reeds ,i took some pics to see if i could catch one but i only caught one and it turned out to be a female blackcap first blackcap i have seen at this small pond

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 6
i was in the park monday and parked over to the far left post, i was out walking for a while and decided to have a half hour rest,i couldnt believe the amount of birds perching on the trees right in front of that spot,first was a male linnet followed by a yellowhammer then a cracking male black clap ,2 whitethroats wren dunnock blackbird chaffich woodpigeon robin and magpies plus 2 male orange tip butterflies it was a great photo op but as it was all through dirrty windows the pcs were all crap xxx

Attachments

• 1win.jpg
    1win.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2win.jpg
    2win.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back