• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rolling Ball: what do I do?! (2 Viewers)

If there is one thing I take "cum grano salis" its men and their hobby around a technical item and a forum on the web. Be it bicycles, hiking gear, or as of now, binoculars, its always nice to read but never to be taken too serious.

I am an equipment geek, no denying, but right now I immensely enjoy taking any binocular on a stroll. I like being able to use so many different ones, but the one with me is alway "the best" (my eyes being always the weakest part of it all).

The OP´s original question was "Rolling Ball - What do I do?".
Herr Sanch has retired to the mountaintop to ponder this question, and now I return with The Answer:

If you see Rolling Ball in your binoculars while panning, simply rotate your head in the opposite direction to counter the effects.

Next question please.

Herr Sanchez,
That's Funny. One other thing that I pointed out several pages back......The OP is LONG gone.

Simplex Retrofriction downtube shift levers
Brooks saddles
Carradice saddle bags
steel frames

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 4096704318_409b6e8752.jpg
    4096704318_409b6e8752.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 49
Simplex Retrofriction downtube shift levers
Brooks saddles
Carradice saddle bags
steel frames

OMG! Pure Retro! I recently got back into Brooks Saddles (Swallow model). Absolute heaven. First time I´ve felt real comfort on a saddle since 1976.

Last edited:
I actually do see distortion in the 8x32SV (not sure if its RB but I did`nt like it and was put off the idea of owning one), my gist was there`s hardly a shortage of other brilliant bins out there for RB`ers. Lets not forget the Slc HD, personally I prefer it to the SV`s I`v tried.

I do understand the frustration of being shut out in the cold when it comes to enjoying the SV, but if Swaro have/are changing it to diminish the effects of RB to some sufferers might they not inadvertently change other aspects that deniers love about the view of their earlier models, for example lessen the sharp edges ?

Last edited:
But alas, this "finest line" was not usable for RBers because of its "mustache distortion." However, now this late breaking news that Swaro has allegedly increased the level of pincushion in the latest production, making the RB reduced or eliminated, opens the possibility of those of us who see RB!

Brock[/QUOTE]

Brock:

You have made an important point in the discussion of RB. For me, I do not
see it in the SV, so it is a mute point.

Your point about some added pincushion in the latest SV's, seems to be mentioned
here on some posts, but I don't know if it is substantiated.

As far as a nice flat field view without RB, the Nikon EDG, has found just the
right happy medium, and I believe you found that out. I believe most EDG users
are very satisfied with their choice. ;)

These binoculars at the highest level are all very good, and it is up to the user
to find the one they like best.

Jerry

I actually do see distortion in the 8x32SV (not sure if its RB but I did`nt like it and was put off the idea of owning one), my gist was there`s hardly a shortage of other brilliant bins out there for RB`ers. Lets not forget the Slc HD, personally I prefer it to the SV`s I`v tried.

I do understand the frustration of being shut out in the cold when it comes to enjoying the SV, but if Swaro have/are changing it to diminish the effects of RB to some sufferers might they not inadvertently change other aspects that deniers love about the view of their earlier models, for example lessen the sharp edges ?

Aren't you getting a bit off the topic by discussing binoculars on BF (Bicycles Forum)? ;)

It probably was RB you were seeing in the SV EL if it bothered you, read the description in oetzi's post or in the review in the first link in my signature to be sure.

Unfortunately, the SLC-HD does not have a midsized version, not sure if it ever will, because of the 8x30 CL filling that slot. As even Jerry, who has really been supportive of the CLs, would admit, it's a good bin but not top notch like the EL or SLC-HD, and it doesn't have as wide a field of view as the 8x32 EL, and it would probably not fit my hands like a glove the way the 8x32 EL does. Nor does it likely have as good depth perception as the 8x32 EL.

So for the big handed Swaro fan who desires the better view provided by his top notch porros, it's either the older version 8x32 EL WB or the 8x32 EL if he wants a top o' the line midsized Swaro birding bin.

Although I liked the 8x32 EL WB's optics, the chief reason I would buy one is due to its ergonomics. I prefer the midsized format (bad discs in my neck from following Jack Horkheimer's mantra- "Keep Looking Up!"), and I have tried a number of midsized roofs with closed bridge designs, and none really fit my hands well like the 8x32 EL.

When we had that poll a while back, which is more important, ergonomics or optics? I'd say ergonomics, because if the bins are not comfortable and/or are hard to hold steady, it doesn't matter how good the view is if the image is shaking or my hands are aching. That was the case with the Nikon 8x32 HG.

So why not just buy an 8x32 EL WB, you might well arsk? As I've grown older, my eyes have been bothered me by CA. Perhaps I can get an ED glass upgrade when I finally get my cataracts out. So if I'm going to sell my treasured bins for a top notch roof, I want it to have ED glass, because I tend to see more CA in roofs than I do porros.

Regarding your last comment, as the SE and EDG show, it doesn't have to be "either/or". An optics maker can use field flatteners to achieve good edge performance while at the same time achieving a good balance btwn pincushion and AMD.

Whether Swaro has done that with their revision (if there was a revision and those were not anomalous samples reported) or if they have reverted to the WB/SLC-HD distortion pattern, as Steve C. seemed to think, remains to be seen, literally!

Not sure about the edges on the 8x42 SLC-HD, but according to Arek, the "blur occurs in the distance of 95% +/- 3% from the field of vision centre" in the 10x42 SLC-HD:
http://www.allbinos.com/230-binoculars_review-Swarovski_SLC_10x42_WB_HD.html

I think they should do what Coke did. Offer two versions in the midsized models so they got something for everybody, even the minority reporters. An 8x32 EL WB upgraded with ED glass for RBers and others who can tolerate the RB but still don't like the image compression at the edges and/or the "Absam Ring" at 60% out, and the original SV EL version with sharp to the very edges and mustache distortion for the immunies. OR.... bring out an 8x32 SLC-HD for the rest of us.

In the meantime, I will just have to learn to be content with my 8x32 SE and 8x30 EII. It's a shame, but what can you do? ;)

Now, back to bicycles...

<B>

I try to read all of this thread for the purpose of learning and it seems a significant portion is written by people who claim that RB does not exist.

Oetzi, we must be reading different forums ! :h?: :news:

I would agree, but only, with the addition of a small addendum ....

"it seems a significant portion is written by people who claim that RB does not exist for them"

Nobody here is "denying" anything - it just seems to be the unfortunate outcropping of one man's need to be loved :loveme:

Perpetually feeding the BS mill does a great disservice to those who come here seeking genuine knowledge and help.

If folk really want to know how they'll find the view, then the best policy is to go and look at the actual bins in question. If due to remoteness that's not possible, then taking Holger's on-line test should put you in the right ballpark http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/test_distortion.html

Who knows, Brock may even read some of this stuff one day and finally work out what a k value is.

Chosun :gh:

I see. One queston, is the RB talked about here
-the optical senstaion in itself,
-or what it triggers in the human seeing it?

I see. One queston, is the RB talked about here - the optical senstaion in itself; - or what it triggers in the human seeing it?

Oetzi, I don't clearly understand your question, but from what I think it means - the answer is both. i.e. some people can see the effect and not be bothered by it, and yet others see it and are so disturbed by it they make look to sit down or for a bucket!

Added to that, there is plenty of discussion here about what causes it (very hard to pin down because of all the individual differences that come into play), who will see it (that's where the armchair reviews start to descend into silliness), as well as who's bothered by it and when, and under what circumstances. In my post#155 above, I tried to summarise our best understanding of the underlying causes, which will have different resultant end effects for the individual:
Given that the entire conversation of the 'RB phenomena' here takes place in the context of it being highly individually subjective, and as the muti-disciplinary science tells us is subject to: (physical, physiological, neural, opto-neurological processing, behavioural, situational, and importantly psychological) "factors" and that they are modified by a whole host of other modifying "parameters" (such as tiredness, eye fatigue, optical formula consistency adaptation /timeframes, emotional state, even curmudgeonliness! etc, etc, etc) which themselves are not fixed with respect to time ....
It's not entirely possible to give a blanket rule because everyone is so different. Look at Zuiko, post#67, and post#73. He saw "horrible" RB in the Nikon HG (notorious low distortion bin) - went all the way across the spectrum opposite to Leica (high pincushion) - and then back to low distortion (8x32 SV), and is now happy as larry ..... very unusual! Also look at Mark (Kammerdinner post#70) - he swaps between vastly different optical formulas (which is not to be recommended for those on the threshold) - sees the distortions if he concentrates on them - yet is not bothered by any of them, because he's paying attention to the subject.

So with those disclaimers out of the way, I'll say that one of the key factors is how the distortion in the bins ~[Holger's variable k] matches the distortion (barrel) in your vision (glasses/contacts and/or eyes) ~[Holger's variable l]. k ranges from 1 for no pincushion; 0.5 for mild pincushion, a 'la Zeiss; to 0 for high pincushion, a 'la some Leica. The best scenario (in general only) is when k roughly = or is slightly less than l. The best way to check your l value remotely is by doing Holger's test: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/test_distortion.html

The SV has (did have?) k=0.74 (referenced from this thread - you'll find plenty of interesting RB discussion here): http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=164494
From Holger's test database so far it seems that ~3/4 of 56 respondents have low levels (high numerically, ie. A=1, B=0.8, C=0.7) of barrel distortion in their vision, and so should be fine with an SV. These same people (particularly category A) may even find that they experience "rolling bowl" when panning with high pincushion design bins. Those with high levels (low numerically, ie. E=0.5, F=0) of barrel distortion in their vision (particularly category F), could probably expect some 'globe effect' with the SV, etc. Will it bother them? Only they can tell.

Having said that, end results are highly individual, and subject to all the "factors" and "parameters" mentioned. The final proof is in the pudding - go have a look. There's plenty of high quality bins of quite different optical formulas to suit just about everyone ;)

Holger wrote a paper on the whole kit-and-caboodle, graciously made available here: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/distortion_final.pdf which includes in it's final paragraph:
"...... In this sense, the matching of both parameters, k=l, means nothing else but matching both curvatures, which is the key to the elimination of the globe effect of Section 5.
Finally, we would not assume that a model as simple as that might be able to offer a complete description of human vision. This model was designed to be consistent with the checkerboard experiment, and it also explains phenomena such as the globe effect and Sonnefeld’s observations with low-power telescopes. Beyond that, we shall refer to Mark Wagner [13]:
“In fact, the geometry that best describes visual space changes as a function of experimental conditions, stimulus layout, observer attitude, and the passage of time (p.11). The human mind is flexible enough and the world provides enough variation that no single geometry can fully encompass human visual experience” (p. 223)."

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
In the meantime, I will just have to learn to be content with my 8x32 SE and 8x30 EII. It's a shame, but what can you do? ;)

<B>

Like I said, buy a Brooks saddle. Much cheaper than SV´s. Guaranteed comfort for all users. Can´t see any birds through ´em, though.;)

Well, I just had go at Holger's test and see pincushion distortion in B. So that may explain why I have no RB issues with the SV's and see quite strong pincushion in my better half's SLC HD, which BTW I find fine for bird/nature watching.

Oetzi,

With 127 posts, you are a relative newbie, but I can attest that in nearly every thread about RB, the same people, one in particular who has hammered on RB being a "non-issue" ad nauseam, either deny its existence or try to belittle those who see it. To me, that's not only misleading but disrespectful to the OP, who may be sensitive to RB.

Anyone who denies the deniers has been too distracted by :gh:eek::):t::smoke:B :):eek!::eat::-Csmilies to notice.

Okay, to address your questions:

-the optical senstaion in itself

It is the "sensation" of the image "moving" over a positively curved surface that is called "rolling ball" or the "globe effect". Some people even get nauseous from seeing it. It is not an optical property, but rather a reaction to an optical property - angular magnification distortion (AMD).

-or what it triggers in the human seeing it?

What triggers RB is angular magnification distortion (AMD). When designers fail to put in enough pincushion in the lenses for smooth panning, the image scale in the center of the field looks larger than the image scale at the edge of the field, which appears compressed.

That's similar to the sensation you would get looking at a spinning world globe. The countries right in front of you look large, but the countries near the edges appear to shrink and move away from you as they pass over the edge of the globe. Hence, Holger's term, "the globe effect".

So it's this disparity between the image size in the middle of the field and at the edge of the field that creates the illusion of motion that many people see, at least initially. Most who see it, however, learn to ignore it, and adapt either quickly or within days or a couple weeks.

If you want to delve into RB in greater detail, read Holger report linked in my signature. Also check out this link below to see how much distortion your eyes have, which is factor in how sensitive you will be to RB. People can tolerate varying degrees of low distortion in binoculars, depending on what "they bring to the table".

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/test_distortion.html

<B>

Last edited:
......... One other thing that I pointed out several pages back......The OP is LONG gone.

Yes- & jeez is it any wonder why she would have moved on; and frankly do you blame her?

Could possibly be she actually has a life and has found she has better use of her time.

Cheers. B :)

Brock has been posting about rolling ball after looking through the Nikon 8x42LX in about 2-25-06 and comparing it to his Nikon 8x32LX. 7 years of RB. How do I know that? I have the original message that Walter sent to me on Cloudy Nights about what Brock thought of his[Walter's] 8x42LX. Our friend Walter sent both the 8 & 10 LX to try, I had a chance to try both. It is my opinion that he[Brock] would see the dreaded RB in the 8.5x42SV, but he should at least try it sometime. Or is that a good idea? ;) I think there is quite a bit of information out there on RB and it seems to keep on rolling ad nauseum. Sorry for the long post!

Yes- & jeez is it any wonder why she would have moved on; and frankly do you blame her?

Could possibly be she actually has a life and has found she has better use of her time.

Cheers. B :)

No, I don't blame her at all - afterall, It seems to me that conducting her studies in Africa would be an excellent source of entertainment. I, on the other hand, sometimes come here for entertainment.......

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back