• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rook vs. Crow, Netherlands (1 Viewer)

coltrv

I have been enjoying my first time birding in Europe this last week. However, I have been looking for Rooks and haven’t successfully identified any yet. This individual seemed quite large and the bill seems fairly long, so could it be an immature Rook? This was today near Gouderak, Netherlands. C50270E0-5C2F-492C-8230-6CE5D31CEF61.jpeg

Size isn't an ID feature (and judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable). This one strikes me as an unremarkable carrion crow. Find a flock of all-black-plumaged corvids in an open field, and you will probably have scored 👍🏻

Size isn't an ID feature (and judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable). This one strikes me as an unremarkable carrion crow. Find a flock of all-black-plumaged corvids in an open field, and you will probably have scored 👍🏻
Thank you.

So if I find a flock of corvids, how would I tell an immature Rook from a Carrion Crow if it doesn’t have the white face?

Ok, then I must be in a bad location for them because I’ve seen numerous groups of corvids but so far none of them have had white faces.
They are somewhat local in the Netherlands preferring sandy clay soils. You may be out of luck if you're mostly in the province of Zuid-Holland.
Most large flocks of corvids will indeed be Carrion Crows and Jackdaws.
Sightings proven with photographs this spring:

I actually get more of a juv Rook impression from (this one photo of) this bird:

• bill looks long, pointed and "straight-sided" rather than curved on the top side
  • head looks small
  • wings look quite long/protruding (admittedly hard to tell from the angle)
  • it generally has a kind of "shabby", angular look, rather than the "smooth", aerodynamic look typical of Carrion crow (I always think Rooks look kind of "scarecrow-like" - ironic as they're the main "crows" that scarecrows were intended to scare off!)

But I'm by no means 100% sure and it could well be proven to be a Carrion crow by further photos and/or calls...

I wonder if there is a difference carrion vs hooded crow or just a geographic difference. Where I originally came from (Denmark) crows (= hooded mostly) were pairwise during breeding season, and only outside of breeding season did you see them in flocks. I would expect June still to be breeding?
Niels

Carrion Crows don't flock like Rooks, but it's pretty common to see largish numbers of them scattered over an area (urban parks/golf courses/football fields/etc) which could give an impression of a flock.

Carrion Crows don't flock like Rooks, but it's pretty common to see largish numbers of them scattered over an area (urban parks/golf courses/football fields/etc) which could give an impression of a flock.
That's a bit of an urban myth. Carrion Crows do flock. Their flocks do not tend to be as numerous as Jackdaws or Rooks but I have seen flocks here in East Lothian many times. Another way to tell a Rook from a Carrion Crow is on call, "a rook sounds like a crow that's been on an anger management course".

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back