• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB 8x32 or 8x42 HG? (1 Viewer)

Lulubird

I am just about to buy some RSPB 8x32 HG PC Compact. Can anyone offer any opinions on these?
I was going to buy the 8x42 version but the shop didnt have them in stock. They are also an extra £30-£40 and not sure if they might be too big for what i need (I am out all day walking with lots of children...the smaller lightweight version might be more appropriate?)
Is there a big difference between the two models, or can i feel happy sticking to the 8x32?
thanks for your help

Hi Lulubird, welcome to BirdForum from all the staff here.

I've taken the liberty of moving your Post to its own Thread, it may get more attention that way :t: !

Cheers,

Andy.

Lulubird said:
I am just about to buy some RSPB 8x32 HG PC Compact. Can anyone offer any opinions on these?
I was going to buy the 8x42 version but the shop didnt have them in stock. They are also an extra £30-£40 and not sure if they might be too big for what i need (I am out all day walking with lots of children...the smaller lightweight version might be more appropriate?)
Is there a big difference between the two models, or can i feel happy sticking to the 8x32?
thanks for your help

I presume you mean the FG? Since there is only an FG 8x32.

I'd imagine they'd be fine. The 42 will have better depth of focus and would be better in dull light. The 32 will be lighter and have a wider field of view.

If the Shop has the Viking GR8x32 I'd compare them but the FG's are a pretty good bin.

There's a link here which shows the RSPB bins available, you do seem to have got your numbers muddled.

My wife uses the 8X42 FG PC and is very happy with them, they are an excellent binocular.

The 8X32 is not really a compact binocular it's just a smaller version of the 8X42 & 10X42 FG PC.

If you take a look at the link you will see that there is a compact binocular available in the FG PC range, they are 8X25 or 10X25 and about half the price of the full size bins. I've not used them so can't comment on their performance but in general terms I wouldn't want to use a compact for my main birding bins; to go in a pocket on a walk would be fine and I'm sure these would be good quality bins.

Have you tried the RSPB shop at Conwy, or is that the wrong end of Wales for you?

Lulubird said:
thanks for your help

If these are the £299 ish 8x32s then they are among the best I've seen for that sort of money - absolutely excellent, and would defininitely make my shortlist. They certainly stand up well against my Leica Trinovids.

As for the 8x42 vs 8x32 - I haven't tested the RSPB 8x42s, but generally I prefer 8x32 for just the reasons alerady given - lighter weight, more compact, and I prefer the wider, easier field of view. The difference in brightness seems to be negligable to my eyes, so unless I were doing a huge amount of dawn / twilight birding (which I don't, except the odd Nightjar outing), then I'd go with the 8x32 every time.

But hey, there's plenty of members who'd go the other way. It's a bit of a personal decision, but unless you're ultra picky about optics (and there's plenty here who are!) I think you'll be fine with the 8x32s.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back