• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Had a quick walk round yesterday hoping to see the Avocets :)

Not a sausage on the wader front - I saw at least four Stonechats.

Lots of rain during the night so not sure the levels will be great today.
The Avocets had gone, I only saw 1 Dunlin and 4 Oystercatcher yesterday.
Today the water levels had gone up about a foot and water was still coming in from the river. 2 Ringed Plover and a Dunlin were on the JW's and I saw my first Small Tortoiseshell butterfly of the year.
Geoff

It was good to see the Bittern was still on FMP, when it flew up calling before dropping back into the reedbed. A Redshank was new in for the year. Also seen were 1 Curlew, 1 Green Sand, 4 Oystercatcher, 5 Goosander, 2 Cetti's Warbler singing and 3 Stonechat.
The volunteers have removed the old dilapidated screen at FMP, it would be nice if they replaced it with something with a roof on, maybe like the nearby riverside shelter?
Geoff

1st of March is the 1st calender date of Spring, although some wintering birds can still be around in early April especially if the weather is cold like last year.
Last winter saw White-rumped Sandpiper, 1 then 2 Long-tailed Duck (the 1st win male Long-tailed Duck came up from Coton lakes) and Great Northern Diver, but with no Smew sightings.
This winter, Brief visit from 1 and probably 2 Great White Egret, 2 Siberian Chiffchaff and 2 Avocet. No Smew sightings as yet they can still been at the end of March.

Last edited:
Has winter Birding declined at Middleton Lakes

Bittern- we still get Bittern and with more habitat being created for them they should continue, the only problem is they are not viewable.
Stonechat- we still get Stonechat, although grassland has dimished due to the creation of jubilee wetlands, the new fencing has created much scope for Hunting Stonechat.
Short-eared Owl - decreased grassland and grazing on Fisher's mill meadow, but still will be seen in Owl years, that's why the RSPB needs to leave as much rough grassland as possible.
Hen Harrier- with 2 past wintering Birds and sporadic sightings, none of recent, there is habitat to attract birds, but with present upland Grouse management numbers have declined. However I have noticed on the moors, land managed for Grouse is more richer in birds and insects than sheep grazed land.
Smew once a regular winter visitor now very rare, no sightings in the last 2 years.
Gulls with the closure of Dosthill/ Kingsbury tip where in the past winters, numbers in excess of 1000 large Gulls were regular loafing after feeding on the tip, Iceland and Glaucous Gull, Caspian Gull were recorded in winter but no longer. 10 Large Gulls seen now in winter is a good number.
Great White Egret - will continue to be seen.
Cetti's Warbler - still regular and the future may see Beared Tit as well.

Last edited:
Spring

We are entering a new period on the Reserve SPRING, with a mild winter Sand Martin should start coming through arond the 10th of March.
Mid March should see the first push of Wheatears and jubilee wetlands with all those feeding perches (new fencing) should see it's share.

Regards, John

Not many waders seen today, just 3 Snipe, 1 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin, 1 Green Sandpiper and the usual Oystercatchers and Lapwings. The Pink-footed Goose was still on NP. 1 Common Gull was with the Black-headed Gulls.
95 species of birds were seen in February and 98 for the year.
Geoff

Last edited:
Middleton Lakes, after a cold start, calm and sunny

3/3/14 A Great Spotted Woodpecker drummed on the farm padddock Oak,
4 Buzzard were soaring over mill plantation and Rooks active at the Rookery, a Blackbird fed on ivy berries.
A Bumble Bee Bombus terestris was along mill plantation
http://www.bwars.com/index.php?q=bee/apidae/bombus-terrestris
Water levels were up and pouring in still, bursting over the SW lagoon, a Chiffchaff was in song on the east side of newreedbed pool.
No Stonechats were seen, I have noticed there is some Stonechat movement at Portland.
Walking along the west Bund Dosthill lake a Little Egret was on a flash Fisher's mill meadow and all along the Willow trees by the river, what looked like teeth marks where Konik ponies have been eating the bark along here and will probably kill all the trees, I always said this area was overgrazed.

Regards, John

Meadow Pipits and Pied Wagtails will start moving north now these groups can contain Reed Bunting and Scandanavian Rock Pipit and later White Wagtail. They should be noticeable on the reserve with all that fencing.

Regards, John

It's looking good for waders at the present time, 3 Dunlin and a Ringed Plover were seen by me and a Redshank and another Ringed Plover were seen by Katie the new warden.
Geoff

Looking at the RSPB revamped map available free from the carpark, Dosthill NR has been labelled as Dosthill lake.
Also Fisher's mill pool which was a pool in Warwickshire is now on this map Warwickshire and Staffordshire.

It's looking good for waders at the present time, 3 Dunlin and a Ringed Plover were seen by me and a Redshank and another Ringed Plover were seen by Katie the new warden.
Geoff

Also a female Brambling with Chaffinches under the feeders a Brown Mealy on the feeders.
Brambling a hard bird to see this winter in Warwickshire.

Live update, on the JWs, 1 Med Gull, 2 Pintail, 13 Dunlin, 2 Redshank and a Ringed Plover.
Tawny Owl calling in Mill Plantation.
Geoff

Last edited:
What will be the first summer migrant to be seen at Middleton Lakes, it may have been the 2 Chiffchaffs around Middleton Hall yesterday, however you can never be sure, so it's Wheatear, Sand Martin or a LRP could pip them to it, no doubt Geoff's on migrant Red alert.

There was a cream crown Marsh harrier hunting in the grass behind the canalside screen, around 8:30am. It was then seen againat about 11:30 flying over the reserve heading North. Also, a Jack snipe was flushed from the Jubilee Wetlands while the work party was out and about.

What will be the first summer migrant to be seen at Middleton Lakes, it may have been the 2 Chiffchaffs around Middleton Hall yesterday, however you can never be sure, so it's Wheatear, Sand Martin or a LRP could pip them to it, no doubt Geoff's on migrant Red alert.
The first summer migrant was Oystercatcher on the 11th Jan.
It was work party day today so I got down the res. at 0740 to catch the early bird, not much difference from yesterday however, Dunlin had increased to 18, 2 Ringed Plover and a Redshank were on the JWs. I then went back to the carpark for the 10am work party, the work entailed raking up grass and rush on the JWs followed by a Fox hunt! The electric fence is due to be switched on shortly and they wanted to make sure no Fox will be trapped inside the fence. No Fox was seen but another search was planned for the afternoon. We did put up 6 Pheasant and 5 Snipe but no Jack Snipe.
I was told that the path between the two JWs screens may be closed for the breeding season.
The highlight of the morning was a Marsh Harrier that showed 2 or 3 times between 0830 and 1130 which I missed altogether.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back