• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

Middleton Lakes

With Fisher's mill meadow closed (meadow trail) and the large circular path wetland trail closed due to work on the hide. The only circular route is the seasonal permitted path (path along bank with 2 screens either side). This route is very poorly marked out, it's o.k until you get to the river side, thick grass and people don't know where to go so they follow the eastern jubilee shoreline heading north and flush all the birds, seen a couple do this today. From the river a sign saying wildlife only please this sign shoud be removed and put along the shoreline East Jubilee wetlands and the way well waymarked from the screen through to the circular wetland track by the river. Four-spotted Chasers seen today and migrant Butterflies Painted Lady and Red Admiral. The cold weather killing all the wintering Red Admiral's.

Regards, John

Last edited:
A new month and 56 species of birds were seen this morning, 98 species were seen in June.
Highlights today included 1 Ringed Plover, 3 LRP, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Green Sandpiper, 2 Common Sandpiper and a Kingfisher was along the river. The brood of Shelduck were down to three.
Geoff

Hi Geoff - in comparison Upton Warren managed 96 species in June. Do you have the other monthly totals for this year to hand?

Middleton Lakes

With Fisher's mill meadow closed (meadow trail) and the large circular path wetland trail closed due to work on the hide. The only circular route is the seasonal permitted path (path along bank with 2 screens either side). This route is very poorly marked out, it's o.k until you get to the river side, thick grass and people don't know where to go so they follow the eastern jubilee shoreline heading north and flush all the birds, seen a couple do this today. From the river a sign saying wildlife only please this sign shoud be removed and put along the shoreline East Jubilee wetlands and the way well waymarked from the screen through to the circular wetland track by the river. Four-spotted Chasers seen today and migrant Butterflies Painted Lady and Red Admiral. The cold weather killing all the wintering Red Admiral's.

Regards, John

Regarding 22 Black-tailed Godwit flushed last Saturday by a man with camera walking along the East shore Jubilee wetlands, details Chris Cook fortunately they did return later
He walked right out along new shore line north from the new East screen.I couldn't believe it.I had just manoverd into a postion to take my own pics from cover and he flushed them just as I was about to click.

Regards, John

Hi Geoff - in comparison Upton Warren managed 96 species in June. Do you have the other monthly totals for this year to hand?
Hi Phil, 2013 monthly totals. Jan. 100, Feb. 79, Mar. 92, Apr. 113, May 94, Jun. 98. Some months up and some down compared to other years.
This morning 2 Curlews were resting up in the Jubilee Wetlands and 1 Common Sandpiper was still here otherwise fairly quiet.
The roof was was being put on the hide, just the windows and door to go in, so probably just a few more months to go for completion, also some benches have been delivered for the screens.
Geoff

Some Insects on the Reserve yesterday

Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell Larvae and the common micro moth Nettle-tap.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 018#029.jpg
    018#029.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 008#055.jpg
    008#055.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 015#024.jpg
    015#024.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 31
Hi Phil, 2013 monthly totals. Jan. 100 (81), Feb. 79 (83), Mar. 92 (96), Apr. 113 (118), May 94 (112), Jun. 98 (96). Some months up and some down compared to other years.
Geoff

An interesting comparison with Upton Warren (figures inserted in bold)

Middleton Lakes

Hello Everyone,

The Environment Agency are working on the reserve. This is now having the following impacts:

• The Bailey Bridge is now closed for pedestrian access

• The access path from Fishers Mill Bridge to the Southern Meadow will shortly be closed. An alternative route is being cut to the Southern Meadow to avoid the Environment Agency work area. This will allow access for our volunteer wardens to check our animals. Once this route is finalised a map will be made available.

RSPB

It was quiet birdwise in hot and sunny conditions this afternoon. A family party of 3 Raven were flying around calling and 2 Common Tern were on the north pit.
Yesterday I did an evening visit for a change hoping to see Owls and Egrets but none were seen. A large gull roost is starting to form on the Jubilee Wetlands and the Med Gull was seen again. All the gulls were put up for a time by a fly through Peregrine.
Geoff

Another hot sunny day didn't seem very productive for passage birds but a few waders were new in, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Common Sandpiper and 4 Ringed Plover were on the Jubilee Wetlands.
Ringers were doing a demonstration by the feeders, they had caught a few common birds including a Great Spotted Woodpecker.
Geoff

Middleton lakes

Another hot sunny day didn't seem very productive for passage birds but a few waders were new in, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Common Sandpiper and 4 Ringed Plover were on the Jubilee Wetlands.
Ringers were doing a demonstration by the feeders, they had caught a few common birds including a Great Spotted Woodpecker.
Geoff

Geoff, it's still early yet for return passage waders unless your on the East Coast.
The new hide is coming along now, the RSPB calling it the lookout, Nick Martin saying on the recent guided tour that some people could be intimidated by the word hide.
A hide is to mask the human shape from birds and to study birds from a single place for longer periods rather than walking by and having brief looks at certain areas, in the Midlands useful for watching elusive species like Bittern and passage Spotted Crake. At Middleton lakes it will provide shelter from heavy rain and provide more oppurtunites for photography.

Regards, John

They might call it 'The Lookout' but it's still a hide is'nt it? Or are they just being a bit 'PC'? - Either way all it needs now is the right water levels and something to look at............;)

Laurie:t:

Middleton Lakes

DBP North pit now becoming per normal full of blanket weed, you will see more bird action on jubilee wetlands, apart from the SE lagoon it is blanket weed free. Today's sightings on the Staffs thread.
I would believe the RSPB will charge only when the hide is up and the Reseve is fully open again certain areas are closed off at the moment. The best area for birds is the jubilee wetlands.
A week Sunday there was a farmer's market at Middleton Hall and the punters parked in the RSPB carpark as it is free at present and leaving no space for RSPB visitors.
I mentioned to a few people about the new reserve charges most it knocked em back a bit.

Regards, John

DBP North pit now becoming per normal full of blanket weed, you will see more bird action on jubilee wetlands, apart from the SE lagoon it is blanket weed free. Today's sightings on the Staffs thread.
I would believe the RSPB will charge only when the hide is up and the Reseve is fully open again certain areas are closed off at the moment. The best area for birds is the jubilee wetlands.
A week Sunday there was a farmer's market at Middleton Hall and the punters parked in the RSPB carpark as it is free at present and leaving no space for RSPB visitors.
I mentioned to a few people about the new reserve charges most it knocked em back a bit.

Regards, John

Any idea on the level of charges John? Presumably its for the car park rather than to access the reserve?

What about all the casual visitors via the canal? With their dogs? People have been mooching down from that section for yonks - myself included. I am actually a family member of the RSPB at present so i'm not bothered either way but i feel sorry for anybody tasked with enforcing the collection of monies..........

Just a few thoughts that's all.

What about all the casual visitors via the canal? With their dogs? People have been mooching down from that section for yonks - myself included. I am actually a family member of the RSPB at present so i'm not bothered either way but i feel sorry for anybody tasked with enforcing the collection of monies..........

Just a few thoughts that's all.

Enforcement will be an interesting issue - might it be like Titchwell there is a Pay & Display machine for non-RSPB members? Cant remember ever seeing "politice notices" or fines on windscreens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back