• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

I dont mind the fencing.

The RSPB will have done thier homework on species it hopes to attract to the site, such as Avocet's which John has mentioned. But there is a long list of other potential colonisers as seen when you look down to what the area has attracted down the years!

One question though.

Is the fencing sunk below the surface, since foxes and other predators can easily dig under a fence as well as jump over it!

I dont mind the fencing.

The RSPB will have done thier homework on species it hopes to attract to the site, such as Avocet's which John has mentioned. But there is a long list of other potential colonisers as seen when you look down to what the area has attracted down the years!

One question though.

Is the fencing sunk below the surface, since foxes and other predators can easily dig under a fence as well as jump over it!

Yes it is sunk below the ground as i remember seeing all the trenches.

Yes it is sunk below the ground as i remember seeing all the trenches.

Good.

As to Otter's. It is worth remembering that they do take eggs and nestlings aswell as fish!

With the amount of other habitat they have in the area, i dont think it hurts restricting them from a small area.

8/10/13 A Bittern boomed 3 times Fisher's mill Bridge pool. Keith Warmington.

Regards, John

Request to Suffolk, Norfolk and Somerset Birdforum threads, Bittern strongholds, have you heard Bittern booming at this time of year- NO REPLIES-
So Keith's report was a very rare occurrence, I have never heard a Bittern Boom in Winter and have spent many hours at Ladywalk in the days when 3 to 4 Bitterns spent the winter there.

Regards, John

10/10/13 A cold stiff NW breeze today across the reserve, would be much worse for Geoff in Lincs, Geoff won't mind if he finds a rare though.
A few Viking invaders across the reserve today Redwing and the last glimmer of summer, 2 Swallows.
Sightings on the Staffs and Warks threads.

Regards, John

Just out of interest, who undertakes the WeBS count at Middleton and would it be possible to get the results posted on the forum?

Webb's count

Just out of interest, who undertakes the WeBS count at Middleton and would it be possible to get the results posted on the forum?

Phil,
The RSPB have their own web's count group and also breeding bird survey group, you would have to contact the RSPB
1 To release any information
2 Do any of the web's count or RSPB Staff use Birdforum to post other than Nick Martin.

Regards, John

Phil,
The RSPB have their own web's count group and also breeding bird survey group, you would have to contact the RSPB
1 To release any information
2 Do any of the web's count or RSPB Staff use Birdforum to post other than Nick Martin.

Regards, John

Whilst reports here (and on the other threads ;)) focus on the rarer birds it would be nice to have a fuller picture of the status of all wetland birds including Lapwing, Wigeon, Tufted Duck etc. I havent seen this info posted on the RSPB web pages for Middleton Lake (in fact there is little uptodate information on the RSPB blog / forum). Given some of the comments aimed at Nick I am not surprised he isnt a regular on here; perhaps you or Geoff you have a word with him to see if this data can be passed on?

Webb's count

Whilst reports here (and on the other threads ;)) focus on the rarer birds it would be nice to have a fuller picture of the status of all wetland birds including Lapwing, Wigeon, Tufted Duck etc. I havent seen this info posted on the RSPB web pages for Middleton Lake (in fact there is little uptodate information on the RSPB blog / forum). Given some of the comments aimed at Nick I am not surprised he isnt a regular on here; perhaps you or Geoff you have a word with him to see if this data can be passed on?

Nick reads everything on here good and bad, if Nick can get someone to send the Webb's information to me (if Nick decides to release bird information) I will post it on here.

Regards, John

14/10/13 Patches of heavy rain today on the reserve, the RSPB Web's counters were out despite this, with the new winter warden Fergus.
Not as badly flooded as I expected, the SW Lagoon jubilee wetlands was not flooded and providing food for 2 Dunlin and a Ringed Plover. A juv Shelduck was here also, most Shelduck move off at this time of year some going to the dutch polders to moult.
The rest of jubilee wetlands was flooded, arriving at the hide a Wheatear sat on the willow screen then flew against the hide wall to take a sawfly larvae, there's plenty around the hide. You may have noticed there are pipes to the outside through the wall of the hide, this is in the event of a major flood so water can escape, water was about 5 foot from the front of the hide today and must have been higher as water had come through one of the pipes.
I was surprised to see Geoff on the Dosthill side having seen on Birdlines what birds had just come in on the East coast over the weekend with still good birds about, perhaps his wife wanted to come home.
Dog walkers over Dosthill saying that a number of Fisherman are fishing and camping over the weekend at Dosthill NR. The Wigeon like it over there partculary the Northern end and I would not be surprised if a Bittern was present also.
Today' sightings on the Staffs thread.

Regards, John

Last edited:
I decided that I had to get out even though it was raining and horrid. Arrived about 2.30 to see no cars and no one on the reserve, just how I like it haha

The only bit of mud was by the west side screen as levels were well up. Three dunlin, ringed plover and stonchat spotted. Made my way up to the lookout to find the water about 8ft from the hide, there was a blackwit flitting about from one island to the other very unsettled but nothing else of note.

Decided to make my way back as the rain had now stopped. BINGO a lovely female Merlin sitting on the post just waiting for me. I thought it was a kestrel but have been told otherwise. New year tick for me :t:

Glad i took my daughters camera with me now ;)

Attachments

• lookout.jpg
    lookout.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 43
  • bop.jpg
    bop.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 64
  • bop1.jpg
    bop1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 46
  • merlin female.jpg
    merlin female.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 63
Some excellent shots there Punta, must be a very confiding bird most Merlin would be off, your daughter would go mad if she knew you risked her camera in all that rain yesterday, but worth it for those shots, most bird photographers would not get Merlin shots like that in a lifetime of Bird photography.
A farmer just south of Drayton Bassett village uses set-aside and attracts Skylark, Linnet, Yellowhammer, Chaffinch.
Whilst on the reserve there has always been Linnet around the North pit and now Jubillee wetlands and also now Meadow Pipit have been regular recently around Jubilee wetlands.

Regards, John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back