• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Thanks Dave, Which way was the Bittern going and coming from.

From the direction of the Pools at the far end of the Play area. Corvids were going mental over something so hoping i might catch a owl in flight, i watched for a minute or two when i noticed what i thought was an Owl coming right towards us on the Carpark. In fact i shouted Owl to a guy parked next to us.

As it got closer it became obvious we were actually viewing a Bittern. It came right over us, flying across to the old Silt pool (the one with the feeders).

Had packed the camera away in the car minutes earlier, which is always the case, though in that light i doubt i would of got a shot away anyways:C

:t:

From the direction of the Pools at the far end of the Play area. Corvids were going mental over something so hoping i might catch a owl in flight, i watched for a minute or two when i noticed what i thought was an Owl coming right towards us on the Carpark. In fact i shouted Owl to a guy parked next to us.

As it got closer it became obvious we were actually viewing a Bittern. It came right over us, flying across to the old Silt pool (the one with the feeders).

Had packed the camera away in the car minutes earlier, which is always the case, though in that light i doubt i would of got a shot away anyways:C

:t:

Good sighting Dave.

A new bird for the feeding station area was a Woodcock which flew up from there. 4 Dunlin were on the north pit which has had the islands cleared of vegetation by the volunteers this week. 2 Golden Plover were on the JW's and also seen were 5 Shelduck, 4 Goldeneye, 4 Little Egret and 3 Stonechat.
Geoff

60 species of birds were seen by me today, highlights being a Bittern which called (Kau Kau) a few times in FMP reed bed before flying up and then dropping back in again on the NE side. 8 Little Egrets were around and a Goosander was on the north pit. 5 Snipe, 2 Cetti's Warbler (1 called, 1 sang) , 1 Treecreeper and 2 Stonechat were also seen.
92 species were seen in November which was the highest November count since the RSPB have owned the site. i.e. 2007=72, 2008=87, 2009=87, 2010=84, 2011=86, 2012=86.
Geoff

Last edited:
60 species of birds were seen by me today, highlights being a Bittern which called (Kau Kau) a few times in FMP reed bed before flying up and then dropping back in again on the NE side. 8 Little Egrets were around and a Goosander was on the north pit. 5 Snipe, 2 Cetti's Warbler (1 called, 1 sang) , 1 Treecreeper and 2 Stonechat were also seen.
92 species were seen in November which was the highest November count since the RSPB have owned the site. i.e. 2007=72, 2008=87, 2009=87, 2010=84, 2011=86, 2012=86.
Geoff

Maybe there's 2 Bittern's in that area now and they are having a dispute.

02/12/13 Middleton Hall, I was talking to Nick Martin today by the feeders when 3 Redpoll dropped to the pool edge to drink at 1 p.m one was a mealy Redpoll, they flew up into the trees then a group of 15 Redpoll flew off.
I was speaking to winter warden Fergus in the hide today, he said he would not mind posting on the RSPB blog about the work that has been done on the Reserve, however Fergus was waiting for permission to post.
Water levels ideal for waders but passage will be little until next Spring.

Regards, John

Geoff

Hi Geoff
I heard 2 bitterns at Upton, giving deep gutteral croaking call similar to a LBBG type call. However both birds were in flight and migrating flying off east at the end of last winter.
Hope you are wellB :)John

Hi Geoff
I heard 2 bitterns at Upton, giving deep gutteral croaking call similar to a LBBG type call. However both birds were in flight and migrating flying off east at the end of last winter.
Hope you are wellB :)John
Hi John, I'm OK thanks.
I don't remember ever hearing a Bittern call before apart from the Boom of course, they tend to be silent when accidentally flushed. I'm wondering if it saw me coming and did a warning call before flying off, or as JH said, maybe two birds in dispute?
I see on the Upton thread your still doing a good job on the work parties.
Geoff

Hi John, I'm OK thanks.
I don't remember ever hearing a Bittern call before apart from the Boom of course, they tend to be silent when accidentally flushed. I'm wondering if it saw me coming and did a warning call before flying off, or as JH said, maybe two birds in dispute?
Geoff

B :)we do our best, but you can't please everyone;)john

Hi John, I'm OK thanks.
Geoff

If a Bittern is frightened it will keep silent and use it's camouflaged plumage to hide and would move further into the reeds, unless a dog or fox was in the reeds then it would fly.

Highlights today were a Merlin which dashed through the reserve, only the second one I've seen here, 3 Shelduck, 5 Goldeneye, 3 Wigeon, 5 Snipe, 1 Gt Black-backed Gull, 3 Stonechat and a Meadow Pipit. A Pintail was reported.
Geoff

Highlights today were a Merlin which dashed through the reserve, only the second one I've seen here, 3 Shelduck, 5 Goldeneye, 3 Wigeon, 5 Snipe, 1 Gt Black-backed Gull, 3 Stonechat and a Meadow Pipit. A Pintail was reported.
Geoff

The Pintail had moved to Dosthill NR, work party today clearing islands on the north pit so obviously not much on there, this is where the Pintail was reported earlier.
Sticks painted red, marking the space the new bridge to Dosthill will be, I have now revised my bridge expected building time from 3 years to 1 year.
The mystery Little Egret seen today on the Western side of Dosthill lake is a plastic replica and a boat owner told me that it was to scare the gulls from the ski-ramp, but said it did not work.

Regards, John

Bittern's (I would say more than 1) reported at Middleton lakes for a while now and the former best site in the mid-Tame Valley Ladywalk no Bittern seen yet. Can anyone explain why ?

Bittern's (I would say more than 1) reported at Middleton lakes for a while now and the former best site in the mid-Tame Valley Ladywalk no Bittern seen yet. Can anyone explain why ?

Although Ladywalk has a bigger reedbed it is a dry reedbed no good for feeding Bittern, Ladywalk was former Hams Hall power station cooling lagoons and have not been lanscaped (only a little on B pools recently). Small areas of reed exist at the waters edge but are not thick bands like at Middleton Lakes
Fisher's mill Bridge pool was landscaped by the RSPB with sloping angles, the reeds grow into the water and provide better feeding areas for Bittern.
Reed areas will continue to increase at Middleton lakes under RSPB management.
Increased flooding events on the east coast will be more frequent, where sea water last night inundated Cley Marshes. Most fish cannot tolerate salt water and die, exception being Salmon, Sea Trout and Eels. So food supply of Bittern has gone in an instant, that's why the RSPB are creating reedbeds inland (though a slow process).

If you put a freshwater fish into saltwater, most fish would lose weight (from losing water from its body) and eventually die. Approximately 2% of all 21000 species of fish actually move from freshwater to saltwater or from salt to fresh at some point in their lives, the move would kill any other fish. But even with these special varieties of fish, the move must be gradual so their bodies can adjust, or they too, will die from the change. If you want to learn more about why the freshwater fish will lose water, (or why a saltwater fish in freshwater would gain water), look up the words "diffusion" and "osmosis".

Regards, John

Last edited:
East Coast

RSPB Snettisham Closed Badly damaged 1 hide gone
Cley 1 hide gone inundated withs Sea Water
RSPB Titchwell Parrinder hide open, have the new defences worked.

Last edited:
On the subject of bittern, I read in this months birdwatching magazine they are undergoing a huge prpject in burton to re introduce breeding bittern! The door step as a bittern hotapot would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back