• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

With higher water levels on the reserve there was no sign of Geoff Williams.
In the hedge by the farm a Lesser Whitethroat and Whitethroat were singing also a Redpoll, in the usual place just left of Heronry view was a Garden Warbler singing. More Reed warblers had arrived, a cuckoo called and I saw my first Dingy Skipper of the year.
DBP Jubilee wetlands, what was left after the flooding, a Common Sandpiper, they usually move along the river but with water levels up on the riiver there was one on jubilee wetlands, the SE lagoon was mostly flooded a little water had gone into the SW lagoon which contained 5 LRP. 3 Common Tern's were settled on the remaining bunds and a probable breeding Ringed Plover was still present.
At 10:53 water was still entering the reserve at the pipe bridge, in the hide was an Angleshades moth.
Threre had been a big hatch of insects mainly st. Mark's fly and Alderfly.
At Dosthill NR at 14:19 an Arctic Tern called looking up there were 11 low heading North.

Regards, John

With higher water levels on the reserve there was no sign of Geoff Williams.
In the hedge by the farm a Lesser Whitethroat and Whitethroat were singing also a Redpoll, in the usual place just left of Heronry view was a Garden Warbler singing. More Reed warblers had arrived, a cuckoo called and I saw my first Dingy Skipper of the year.
DBP Jubilee wetlands, what was left after the flooding, a Common Sandpiper, they usually move along the river but with water levels up on the riiver there was one on jubilee wetlands, the SE lagoon was mostly flooded a little water had gone into the SW lagoon which contained 5 LRP. 3 Common Tern's were settled on the remaining bunds and a probable breeding Ringed Plover was still present.
At 10:53 water was still entering the reserve at the pipe bridge, in the hide was an Angleshades moth.
Threre had been a big hatch of insects mainly st. Mark's fly and Alderfly.
At Dosthill NR at 14:19 an Arctic Tern called looking up there were 11 low heading North.

Regards, John

Yesterday's Dingy Skipper having been reported to the Warwickshire Butterfly recorder was the first record for Warwickshire this year, usually the first to appear are further south in Warwickshire.

John
The 2 Turnstones (from Shustoke?) were on the North Pit around 3pm.
Also saw this on path through woods, I believe it is a Yellow Tail Moth caterpillar. A female Banded Damoiselle was also seen by the river.

Attachments

• DSCF8685.jpg
    DSCF8685.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 51
John
The 2 Turnstones (from Shustoke?) were on the North Pit around 3pm.
Also saw this on path through woods, I believe it is a Yellow Tail Moth caterpillar. A female Banded Damoiselle was also seen by the river.

Hi Dick-E-Dipper,
Your Larvae looks like a Drinker moth, Male Banded Demioselles usually emerge first, your Damioselle record would be of intetest to the the Middleton lakes Dragonfly Group and also the Warwickshire Dragonfly Group.

Regards, John

Your Drinker larvae is of interest to the Middleton lakes moth group, the wood is called Mill plantation and it forms compartment 1 of RSPB Recording area.
I saw a Drinker larvae at Dosthill lake 28/4/14.

1/5/14 Heavy spell of rain forces Dunlin and Ringed Plover down onto the reserve, also a day migrating Tree Pipit.
After the spell of heavy rain water was gushing into jubillee wetlands from the small brook on the West side down the track.
Sightings on the Staffs Middleton lakes thread.

Regards, John

Hi All

Quick question, is the meadow walk open yet? I know for a while now the path has been closed for all of the work going on but when i visited a few weeks back i noticed a lot of it had been removed but i couldn't tell if the meadow walk is now open or not.

I'm trying to plan a route for tomorrow and not sure if i can walk around this part of the reserve or not so if anyone has any information that would be great!

Cheers :t:

Hi All

Quick question, is the meadow walk open yet? I know for a while now the path has been closed for all of the work going on but when i visited a few weeks back i noticed a lot of it had been removed but i couldn't tell if the meadow walk is now open or not.

I'm trying to plan a route for tomorrow and not sure if i can walk around this part of the reserve or not so if anyone has any information that would be great!

Cheers :t:

Hi Dave,
Although the EA appear to have finished, the area is still closed at the moment, I did speak to a contracter and he said they will be returning to replace a pipe carrying water from the brook that runs through Mill lantation and under the canal.

Regards, John

Flooding

Having seen the water pouring down the brook mid-way along the track by the canal yesterday into jubileee wetlands, this is a flooding problem that the RSPB would not be able to control, to stop the water could cause flooding on the West bordering farmerland, farmer Geoff Hemus, will take legal action. A supervisor at Hansons said in the past Hemus blamed Hanson's for blocking a ditch and caused flooding on his land. Hemus got an expensive Barrister took Hanson's to court won the case and was awarded compenstion and costs of £60,000.
If the bunds had been a bit higher on the SW and SE lagoons this would have prevented some floods into these lagoons.

Last edited:
Got up at 04:15 to get down to Midd Lakes for 05:30, found it misty with a heavy frost but it soon warmed up when the sun burnt through. I packed up at 13:30 with 75 species seen by me, highlights being Avocet, Dunlin and Common Gull. The last I heard 82 species have been reported.
Geoff

Got up at 04:15 to get down to Midd Lakes for 05:30, found it misty with a heavy frost but it soon warmed up when the sun burnt through. I packed up at 13:30 with 75 species seen by me, highlights being Avocet, Dunlin and Common Gull. The last I heard 82 species have been reported.
Geoff

Your takng this bird race business seriously Geoff usually never seen before 9 a.m around the Reserve, is there illicit betting going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back