• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

A Pink-footed Goose was with the Greylags on the north pit which then flew to the private pits. A single Goosander was also on north pit. Waders seen included 2 Oystercatcher, 10 Ringed Plover, 6 LRP, 4 Redshank, 3 Common Sandpiper and 7 Dunlin. Also seen were 1 Cuckoo and 60 Swift.
Geoff

Bird Race

Upton Warren total of 87 species seen in a day was a good total for this reserve, Middleton Lakes 94 speces and Belvide 86.
However number of different species seen in a year, Belvide would appear to be a regular winner on this front.

Regards, John

Whilst we wait for all the West Mids sites to declare their lists for yesterday's All-Day Birdwatch, here is a comparison spreadsheet of those revealed so far.

Edit: just noticed Tom has posted Middleton's list on TVB; will amend and repost

Attachments

• All-Day Totals 2014.xlsx
    18.8 KB · Views: 30
Now with Middleton and Grimley added
Hi Phil, as I mentioned on the UW thread, you have left Garden Warbler off the Midd Lakes list ( I presume it doesn't affect the final total?)
We managed 95 species in 2012, it's surprising that we couldn't find Little Egret and Barn Owl this time.
Geoff

Hi Geoff - Garden Warbler wasn't provided on the list by Fergus. Was it definitely seen? If so it will make 95!
Hi Tom, I saw at least 3 singing and showing. Do you know who had the Coal Tit? One was reported on the feeders the previous day so it must have still been around.
Geoff

Here's a rather bad phone-scoped picture of the black terns that appeared this morning. Great to see them arrive over my head off the river!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 69
Here's a rather bad phone-scoped picture of the black terns that appeared this morning. Great to see them arrive over my head off the river!
Hi Mike, good to see you and the Black Terns, they were a nice surprise.
Not much change on the wader front, 1 Oystercatcher, 2 Lapwing chicks on the JWs, 24+ Ringed Plover, 5 LRP, 2 Redshank, 1 Common Sandpiper and 7 Dunlin. A Peregrine was reported.
Regards the bird race, an Artic Tern was reported on TVB by lemurbird, if accepted this would take the list for the day to 96.
Geoff

Hi Tom, I saw at least 3 singing and showing. Do you know who had the Coal Tit? One was reported on the feeders the previous day so it must have still been around.
Geoff

I had 4 Garden Warbler singing on the Bird Race day, as Geoff arrived in the carpark that morning I pointed out a Garden Warber singing left of Heronry view.

Years ago a pair of Black Tern bred at Attenborogh NR Nottingham, by the time the wardens had got out to the nest on an island, the nest had already been visited by egg collecters.

Years ago a pair of Black Tern bred at Attenborogh NR Nottingham, by the time the wardens had got out to the nest on an island, the nest had already been visited by egg collecters.

Is this a way of saying that I shouldn't have posted this picture? Because personally I feel 6 black terns flying in off the river, feeding and resting is not something that needs to be kept quiet. If they were courting or doing anything like that, it would clearly be a different matter but I see no problems with posting a photo of 6 black terns sat preening.

Hi Mike, good to see you and the Black Terns, they were a nice surprise.
Not much change on the wader front, 1 Oystercatcher, 2 Lapwing chicks on the JWs, 24+ Ringed Plover, 5 LRP, 2 Redshank, 1 Common Sandpiper and 7 Dunlin. A Peregrine was reported.
Regards the bird race, an Artic Tern was reported on TVB by lemurbird, if accepted this would take the list for the day to 96.
Geoff

The RSPB will be pleased with the Lapwing chicks the mild floods would have more effect on the LRP and Ringed Plover. The Lapwings and Redshank appear to have nested in the now dock areas.
There could be a breeding attempt by Goosander also, there is regular breeding of a pair of Goosander further upstream at Ladywalk. So keep an eye out for any more wader chicks and duckling broods.

Is this a way of saying that I shouldn't have posted this picture? Because personally I feel 6 black terns flying in off the river, feeding and resting is not something that needs to be kept quiet. If they were courting or doing anything like that, it would clearly be a different matter but I see no problems with posting a photo of 6 black terns sat preening.

Hi Mike,
The Black Terns were put out on national Birdlines at 10:55 ( your picture post on here 15:44), a pair stopping to breed would be unlikely and the pair would have to be around for at least 4 days and I don't believe they would be able to keep it quiet on an RSPB Reserve just a watch set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back