• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (4 Viewers)

Gosanders or merganser?

I think they were probably female goosanders, but they had a white mark between the eye and upper bill and rather fluffy backs of their heads!?

Could not get a good picture unfortunately. There were 6 females by the footbridge over the river Tame.

Had a quick visit on coming back from my holidays at about 5pm.

Julie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Thank you - I thought merganser was unlikely :)

Unlikely but not totally impossible around here. But if you look at the transition area between the ginger/brown of the head and grey/white of the lower neck it's a more gradual transition in the Merganser than the Goosander.

Something strange happened tonight at Middleton. The Starlings roosted in the west corner of Reed bed Pool just behind West screen. I was standing about 20 yards from them as I find this is the best location to count the Egrets. Suddenly there was what I can only describe as 3 hand claps in very close succession and a group of 100 or so Starlings would fly out and go and roost over the far side of Fishers Mill. This happened 15 - 20 times in the space of 10 minutes until all the Starlings had moved. Has anyone ever come across this before. Is it the noise of a predator trying to catch them - Heron or even Bittern perhaps. At one point I was convinced it was someone clapping but there was no one else there and it was always identical and just 3 claps.

Short-Eared Owl was the highlight tonight dropping vertically into JW and then drifting South. This bird may be new in tonight or just passing through. 3 Great White Egret roosted riverside with 29 LE's.

2 were reported on facebook 25/3/17.

Geoff

I'm starting to realise just how much goes unreported. The car park was full yesterday but very few reports came out. I also note that the RSPB website has a sightings list which I think is taken directly from BirdTrack. There has been some interesting stuff on there previously including Glossy Ibis this year. This Wednesday a Tree Sparrow was recorded - see right hand side of extract below, 4th bird down.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 57
Geoff

I'm starting to realise just how much goes unreported. The car park was full yesterday but very few reports came out. I also note that the RSPB website has a sightings list which I think is taken directly from BirdTrack. There has been some interesting stuff on there previously including Glossy Ibis this year. This Wednesday a Tree Sparrow was recorded - see right hand side of extract below, 4th bird down.
It's difficult to know what to count sometimes.

A calm and sunny day, 2 Red Admirals were flying. 55 species of birds were seen highlights being 2 Great White Egret, 1 Egyptian Goose, 1 Shelduck, 2 Goldeneye, 6 Goosander, 66+ Golden Plover, 3 Snipe and 3 Stonechat.

4 Little Egret were seen today but 62 have been seen going to roost at the heronry on the 23rd per Mercian Birding so they must roam a fair distance, 4 Shelduck were on the Hall Lake, the Black Swan was on FMP, there appear to be several in the West Midlands so maybe some young birds will be seen eventually. Also seen were 2 Goldeneye, 1 Peregrine, 1 Lapwing (the only wader noted!), 2 Kingfisher, 2 Green Woodies, 3 Stonechat, 12 Fieldfare, 1 Mistle Thrush, 2 Jay and 2 Raven.
On my last visit on the 20/11 a large dragonfly was hunting near FMP (too cold now), 60 Golden Plover flew over.
The year list is now on 162 with a Hen Harrier reported on the 17/11 and with one seen at KWP on the 23/11 (MB) it could be worth keeping an eye out for it.

4 Little Egret were seen today but 62 have been seen going to roost at the heronry on the 23rd per Mercian Birding so they must roam a fair distance...................

The majority appear to go directly to Hemlingford Water, Kingsbury Water Park in the morning and gather there again in the evening before coming across to roost. This is a distance of just over 2 miles as the Egret flies. 45 were on Hemlingford today (T Hyde) - must be good feeding there. I've seen them leave and arrive at both ends but hardly see any commuting in the middle (Broomey Croft car park) so they either go over very high or take a strange route.

It's hard going finding anything unusual at this time of the year and only 71 species of birds have been seen this month so far, highlights being 2/12, 3 Pochard, 1 Goosander, 1 Water Rail, 3 Stonechat. 4/12, 5 Shelduck, 2 Peregrine together, 40 Lapwing, 3 Stonechat, 1 Cetti's Warbler singing and 1 Treecreeper. 5/12, 1 Little Grebe, 1 Great White Egret NP, 1 Snipe and 2 Goldcrest.
92 species were seen in November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back