• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (4 Viewers)

30/6/11 Drayton Bassett pits Geoff Williams later saw 5 Black-tailed Godwit on the North pit, they were either resting on an island unseen in vegetation when I was present or they came in later.

Regards, John

7/7/11 Drayton Bassett pits now 2 Little Egret on site, second brood of Small copper now showing with 2 seen. Roesels bush crickets singing, on the North pit Ringed plover called, Oystercatcher seen, brood of Tufted Duck with 5 small young and another brood of Gadwall with 8 small young plus one of the Tufted duck brood so Tufted has 6.

Regards, John

13/7/11 Drayton Basset pits southern pool Common Sandpiper, LRP.
Heading towards the North pit 2nd brood Peacock butterflies now out, flowering Gypsywort, Great Willow Herb and Tufted Vetch noted.
The North pit overgrown 3 broods of Tufted Duck noted of 1,3,6 also a male Teal.
The Reedbed pool showing mud now and should attract waders.

Regards, John

RSPB Middleton Lakes, Drayton Bassett pits

20/7/11 Walking along the track to the North pit a dead Common Shrew was found , sometimes these are abandoned by their predators because a liquid produced from glands in their skin is foul tasting.

Flowers seen along the track included Common Storksbill, Small flowered Cranesbull and also a Common Blue Damselfy.
The North pit overgrown with little mud showing with poor visibilty ideal for hiding ducklings with 6 broods of Tufted Duck seen, water flowers included Marsh Woundwort, Purple Loosestrife and Water forget-me-not.
However the new reed bed pool where 50,000 reeds were planted and only a handful of reeds have grown, the upside now is, loads of fresh mud attracting today 4 Dunlin, Common Sand, Green Sand, with local bred 3 juv Redshank and 2 Ad and 2 juv LRP.
The downside is it will be many years before this pool is ready for Breeding Bittern, Marsh Harrier and Beared Tit.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 039#010.jpg
    039#010.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 036#010.jpg
    036#010.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 027#010.jpg
    027#010.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 015#008.jpg
    015#008.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 012#021.jpg
    012#021.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 6
1/8/11 New Reed Bed pool which is split by the Staffordshire/Warwickshire county boundary. Juv Wood Sand, 9 juv LRP, Ad Dunlin, Greenshank, Green Sand.
DBP North pit 5 Greenshank and 2 Hobby over. 2nd brood Common Blue butterflies and a small copper seen

Regards, John

3/8/11 Following a report of 2 Wood Sand on reedbed pool today, a visit later I saw only juv LRP.
Hobby over DBP, winter birds are building up now with 42 Grey-lag geese on the north pit and 70 Lapwing.

Regards, John

9/8/11 Drayton Bassett pits Sand Spurrey in flower on the tracks no doubt this has spread from Sutton Park and flowering Rush on the small pools by the footpath south of North pit.
New Reed Bed pool 2 Yellow Wagatil over, Greenshank, Ringed plover and 2 juv LRP.
However, later JKLA juv Spotted Redshank, 4 Greenshank, 2 juv Dunlin, Ringed Plover and LRP.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 010#035.jpg
    010#035.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 008#044.jpg
    008#044.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 6
going to be heading up here tomorrow for my first time. Any tips as to the best spots on the reserve would be great? :t:

RSPB Middleton lakes

going to be heading up here tomorrow for my first time. Any tips as to the best spots on the reserve would be great? :t:

Hi, If you drive in Middleton Hall way check the pool to right Middleon Hall pool you should see 2-3 Green Sand on the mud at the back.
Check mill plantation past Heronry viewing platform for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, however you need a bit of luck.
The new Reed bed pool is ideal for waders at the moment best viewed from the bench on the East side near the river.
North pit water levels high at the moment and poor visibilty due to vegetation, far better in Spring, but always worth checking on the circular walk.

Regards, John

Hi, If you drive in Middleton Hall way check the pool to right Middleon Hall pool you should see 2-3 Green Sand on the mud at the back.
Check mill plantation past Heronry viewing platform for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, however you need a bit of luck.
The new Reed bed pool is ideal for waders at the moment best viewed from the bench on the East side near the river.
North pit water levels high at the moment and poor visibilty due to vegetation, far better in Spring, but always worth checking on the circular walk.

Regards, John

Thanks very much for these tips, will definitely check out these tomorrow when im there :t:

15/8/11 My first Brown Argus for the Reserve a male seen along the track by the canal to the North pit.
New reed bed pool 3 Greenshank, Juv LRP, Ringed plover, juv Common Tern. Wood Sand reported earlier.

Regards, John

RSPB Middleton lakes

19/8/11 New Reebed pool 2 juv Wood Sand together 14:37 also Greenshank, juv LRP and Ringed plover with 2 Green Sand and Little Egret DBP North. Along the track by the canal a female Brown Argus.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 003#055.jpg
    003#055.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 005#052.jpg
    005#052.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 9
First trip to the reserve just, looks impressive, always enjoyed Drayton Bassett so let's hope I'm back pretty soon this autumn for a rare wader...:t:

Juv Wood Sand, Greenshank, Dunlin, Ringie, 3 juv LRP, 2 Common Tern & male Wheatear on reedbed pool, Green Sand at Drayton Bassett north. 10+ Swift over.

Failed with Brown Argus John, were they near to Fishers Mill or as far along the track as the north pit? Cheers.

Hi, Wheatear is the first I have heard of this year on return passage.
Regarding Brown Argus 15/8/11 male SP19952 99387
19/8/11 female SP19979 99305 I would advise using wheresthepath on the internet to locate.
The north pit has disappointed most locals who liked the layout before the RSPB re-landscaping. The RSPB have made more island's which are full with vegetation and only cleared in winter, so good visibility in Spring only. Pre-RSPB landscaping the middle area when water levels were low was full of mud and visibility excellent. Although, when the hide is constructed you should be much higher and get better views.
The new reedbed is good for waders this year because the water levels are low not so last year and eventually this area is planned to be a reedbed.
Could you please send your name to my e-mail so I can put on the Wheatear record.

Thanks, John

22/8/11 New reedbed pool Greenshank, juv LRP, Green sand over heading north.
Along the river a male migrant Hawker.
DB North another 3 Greenshank, Yellow Wagtail over.
Wildfowl Greylag geese now winter flock of 105 and Mute Swan 52.
Probable Brown Argus in flight along the track by the canal.

Regards, John

25/8/11 DBP (WJE) pre-dusk 4 Greenshank flew up river. New reedbed pool 5 Ringed Plover and another wader unidentified Wood sand size resting by a pebble never moved in 45 mins.
26/8/11 First Autumn flush of Curlew sand and Little Stint as expected hit Blithfield and prime wader habitat of New Reedbed pool Curlew Sand, 2 Little Stint today (Geoff Williams)

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back