• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sacha Lodge Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone. I'd like to visit Sacha Lodge this August, but am wary of reports that it has become very regimented in its treatment of visitors. Has anyone birded there recently? Can you book a bird guide in advance? What does the bird guide cost? How much per night is the Sacha Lodge and are there cheaper, almost as good and more relaxed Lodges in the area? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

The problem is that TripAdvisor reviews were probably mostly written by non-birders, who have very different objectives to keen birders. I stayed at Sacha Lodge years ago and it was fantastic, if quite expensive, but I was very insistent that I didn't want to be lumped into doing excursions with a group of general tourists.

I made arrangements via email, and was given a price quote for my stay plus dedicated bird guide. This is what I would suggest doing, and if they can't guarantee this, I would look for an alternative. The guide back then was Oscar Tapuy, who was excellent, but I expect he has moved on.

The problem is that TripAdvisor reviews were probably mostly written by non-birders, who have very different objectives to keen birders. I stayed at Sacha Lodge years ago and it was fantastic, if quite expensive, but I was very insistent that I didn't want to be lumped into doing excursions with a group of general tourists.

I made arrangements via email, and was given a price quote for my stay plus dedicated bird guide. This is what I would suggest doing, and if they can't guarantee this, I would look for an alternative. The guide back then was Oscar Tapuy, who was excellent, but I expect he has moved on.
Thanks for that advice DMW. It's always great to have the name of a good guide. Now to see if we can afford Sacha Lodge in August!

I've stayed at Sani Lodge just along the river. It was the cheapest option I could find at the time, but probably more rustic than Sacha. They had a very cheap option to stay in tents on a camping platform rather than the cabins. I was very lucky because the showers in the tent area didn't work so they moved me to a cabin anyway for no extra charge.
When I booked I made it clear I wanted to watch birds and not do the regular tourist activities, so they put me with a separate bird guide.
Welcome to Your Rainforest Home

I've stayed at Sani Lodge just along the river. It was the cheapest option I could find at the time, but probably more rustic than Sacha. They had a very cheap option to stay in tents on a camping platform rather than the cabins. I was very lucky because the showers in the tent area didn't work so they moved me to a cabin anyway for no extra charge.
When I booked I made it clear I wanted to watch birds and not do the regular tourist activities, so they put me with a separate bird guide.
Welcome to Your Rainforest Home
Thanks SLFT Sani sounds interesting and also figured in a Cloudbirders report a couple of years ago. Probably more our vibe than the Sacha Lodge.

Many years ago I went to Sani. It was good: I had a dedicated birding guide and I didn't feel I would have gained huge amounts from a more expensive option. The main lagoon right next to it had black caiman [you cross to get from the main building to the tent area]

Many years ago I went to Sani. It was good: I had a dedicated birding guide and I didn't feel I would have gained huge amounts from a more expensive option. The main lagoon right next to it had black caiman [you cross to get from the main building to the tent area]
Thanks...sounds like what we're looking for.

Another vote for Sani Lodge. I stayed 4 nights in 2014 and it was fantastic. I did not pay for a specific bird guide but I got allocated one to myself. It was my first taste of proper lowland Amazonian birding and it did not disappoint - possibly best 4 days birding of my life. I thought it was quite fancy - rustic not a word I would use to describe it!

Another vote for Sani Lodge. I stayed 4 nights in 2014 and it was fantastic. I did not pay for a specific bird guide but I got allocated one to myself. It was my first taste of proper lowland Amazonian birding and it did not disappoint - possibly best 4 days birding of my life. I thought it was quite fancy - rustic not a word I would use to describe it!
Thanks for that info. Looks like Sani Lodge is the favourite!

I only meant 'rustic' in comparison to some of the really expensive lodges.

Chris, Another option even compared to the lower cost Sani Lodge would be Kallary Kausay, a new venture close by that is run by Sani tribespeople. This has the advantage of access to the Sani lands both north and south of the river, and even access to the tower at Sani Lodge if necessary. You can check out my brief report here:

Chris, Another option even compared to the lower cost Sani Lodge would be Kallary Kausay, a new venture close by that is run by Sani tribespeople. This has the advantage of access to the Sani lands both north and south of the river, and even access to the tower at Sani Lodge if necessary. You can check out my brief report here:
Hi Jon Literally one hour before receiving your post, I sent the deposit for a four night stay in Sani Lodge, so the die is cast! Thanks anyway for your suggestion. We've also booked Jorge Luna for 4 days at Mindo, so thanks again!

We’re off to Sani next month and I’m wondering about the boat transfer from Coca to Sani. if camera equipment, binoculars etc are in the small cabin luggage suitcase, is this allowed on the transfer boat, or does it have to travel separately with the larger suitcases? Obviously we’d keep our binoculars with us, just wondering about the rest of the kit.

We’re off to Sani next month and I’m wondering about the boat transfer from Coca to Sani. if camera equipment, binoculars etc are in the small cabin luggage suitcase, is this allowed on the transfer boat, or does it have to travel separately with the larger suitcases? Obviously we’d keep our binoculars with us, just wondering about the rest of the kit.

I cannot speak for Sani particularly but in general I would expect that they’ll be accommodating and if you want a certain bag with you you will most likely have it with you. I very, very rarely run into regimented “them’s the rules” type situations in Latin America. Occasionally there’s a bit of “well that’s just how we do it we have never done it differently” but with patience and a smile it can usually be sorted.

Hi everyone. I'd like to visit Sacha Lodge this August, but am wary of reports that it has become very regimented in its treatment of visitors. Has anyone birded there recently? Can you book a bird guide in advance? What does the bird guide cost? How much per night is the Sacha Lodge and are there cheaper, almost as good and more relaxed Lodges in the area? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!
Hi Christopher, I just stumbled onto this thread. I guess your trip is coming up quickly. Good luck! I'll be headed to EC next January and February and after much research I also opted for Sani over Sacha. Sacha looked great and offers a shot at a Harpy Eagle, but it's also about 40% more expensive. Sacha has those great canopy walkways in between more viewing towers than Sani offers but Sani also has feeders. I'll be traveling with my birder gf and we've hired a personal birding guide during our stay.

I’ve heard good things about Jorge. Good luck at Sani! I’m overnighting in Tokyo en route to 2 months of birding and cultural activities in Indonesia. May the birding gods bless us both!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back