• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sagres peninsula, Portugal - autumn migrants and more – 2014 (1 Viewer)

Simon Wates

As last year's thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=266202) I’m reminding folk of the excellent autumn birding around the Sagres peninsula. The area is monitored from 15th August till the end of November and also receives many visitors, especially during the Sagres Bird FestivaL in early October, see; http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=289763 and here: http://birdwatchingsagres.com/?lang=en

A characteristic of the Sagres peninsula raptor migration is that most species are pretty late compared to the Strait of Gibraltar – and are juveniles in the great majority. Nevertheless we’ve seen a quite a few species already – throughout the 60 sq kms or so of the Sagres peninsula’s migrant and resident birds. Those recorded since 15th August 2014 up to today are included in the list below:

I have included each species’ status on the peninsula to help those who are not familiar with the area. (Note that a small number of sensitive breeding species only cross slightly into the area and in undisclosed parts).

(M) = migrant
(R) = resident breeder
(S) = migrant breeder
(W) = winter visitor

Common Scoter (M) (W)
Red-legged Partridge (R)
Great Northern Diver – rare visitor – a very early one seen on 25th August at Cabo de São Vicente
Great Egret – rare visitor
Little Egret (R) (W?)
Cattle Egret (R)
Cory's Shearwater (M)
Great Shearwater (M)
Sooty Shearwater (M)
Manx Shearwater (M)
Balearic Shearwater (M) all year
Wilson’s Storm Petrel (M)
European Storm Petrel (M)
Northern Gannet (M)(W)
Black Kite (M)
Egyptian Vulture (M)
Osprey (M)
Short-toed Eagle (S)(M)
Booted Eagle (M)
Bonelli's Eagle (R)(M)
Honey Buzzard (M)
Marsh Harrier (M)
Montagu's Harrier (M)
Goshawk (M)
Common Kestrel (R) (M)
(Lesser Kestrel) “2 probables”
Eleonora's Falcon (M)
Peregrine (R) (M)
Little Bustard (R)
Dotterel (M)
Ringed Plover (M)(W)
Kentish Plover (R)(M)(W)
Greenshank (M)
Whimbrel (M)(W)
Curlew (M)
Knot (M)
Dunlin (M)(W)
Turnstone (M)(W)
Red Phalarope (M)
Parasitic Skua (M)(W occasional)
Great Skua (M)(W)
Yellow-legged Gull (R)(M?)(W?)
Lesser Black-backed Gull (M)(W)
Mediterranean Gull (M)(W)
Black-headed Gull (M)(W)
Sandwich Tern (M)(W)
Common Tern (M)
Rock Dove (R)
Turtle Dove (S)(M)
Collared Dove (R)
Eagle Owl (R)
Little Owl (R)
Barn Owl (R)
Tawny Owl (R?)
Common Swift (S)(M)
Pallid Swift (S)(M)
Alpine Swift (S)(M)
European Bee-eater (S)(M)
European Roller (M)
Eurasian Hoopoe (R)(M)(W?)
Wryneck (M)(W?) also occasional breeding probably – they do so nearby in same habitat.; Cork Oak
Short-toed Lark (S)(M)
Thekla Lark (R)
Skylark (R)(M)(W)
Woodlark (R)(M?)(W?)
Sand Martin (M)
Barn Swallow (S)(M) wintering records clouded by early/late migrants
Red-rumped Swallow (S)(M) wintering records clouded by early/late migrants
Sand Martin (M)
House Martin (S)(M) wintering records clouded by early/late migrants
Tawny Pipit (S)(M)
Yellow Wagtail (S occasional) (M)
Nightingale (S)(M)
Stonechat (R)
Whinchat (M)
Northern Wheatear (M)
Black-eared Wheatear (S)(M)
Common Whitethroat (M)
Garden Warbler (M)
Subalpine Warbler (S)(M)
Spectacled Warbler (S)(M)
Sardinian Warbler (R)(M?)
Zitting Cisticola (R)(M?) one was seen heading out to sea due south of Cabo de São Vicente in late August!
Melodious Warbler (S)(M)
Western Bonelli's Warbler (M)
Iberian Chiffchaff (S)(M)
Willow Warbler (M)
Spotted Flycatcher (M)
Pied Flycatcher (M)
Golden Oriole (S)(M)
Spotless Starling (R)
Woodchat Shrike (S)(M)
Iberian/Southern Grey Shrike (R)
Crested Tit (R)
Great Tit (R)
Azure-winged Magpie (R)
Red-billed Chough (R)
Jackdaw (R)
Common Raven (R)
House Sparrow (R)
Spanish Sparrow (M)
Goldfinch (R)(M)(W?)
Serin (R)(M)(W?)
Greenfinch (R)(M)(W?)
Linnet (R)(M)(W?)
Ortolan Bunting (M)
Corn Bunting (R)(M)(W?)

(That's 107 species so far)
I'll try and update with new species as and when they occur till the end of November.

Last edited:
After re-checking I realised that I had somehow missed a few mainly resident species recorded on the peninsula this autumn season.

White Stork (R)
Grey Heron (M)(W)
Wood Pigeon (R)(M)
(Iberian) Green Woodpecker (R)
Great Spotted Woodpecker (R)
Blackbird (R)
Mistle Thrush (R)
Dartford Warbler (R)(M?)
Wren (R)
Short-toed Treecreeper (R)
Nuthatch (R)
Blue Tit (R)
Long-tailed Tit (R)
Jay (R)

(So that brings the total up to 121)

There are a small number of other resident species (Rock and Cirl Buntings for eg.) that are hard to assign to the Sagres pennsula as there is no official boundary limiting its extent - though these are certainly on or near the edges.

Last edited:
Just received news that a 2nd cal.yr. male Red-footed Falcon was seen and photographed this morning at Monte de Cabranosa - the main raptor watchpoint near Sagres. This would be only the 3rd recorded in Portugal (plus one or two pending records). Interestingly the 2 previous records were on the 5th and 16th September.

122. Red-footed Falcon (vagrant)

Just received news that a 2nd cal.yr. male Red-footed Falcon was seen and photographed this morning at Monte de Cabranosa - the main raptor watchpoint near Sagres. This would be only the 3rd recorded in Portugal (plus one or two pending records). Interestingly the 2 previous records were on the 5th and 16th September.

Simon did you see the photos of the bird? One of the observers said that he saw white on the bird, i don’t have experience with the species, but a 2 cy male at this time of the year is not supposed to show white.

Simon did you see the photos of the bird? One of the observers said that he saw white on the bird, i don’t have experience with the species, but a 2 cy male at this time of the year is not supposed to show white.

Well - I haven't seen the photos (which I'm told are poor long distance shots). I'm not with the team just at the moment though I did text them with..."and Amur?". Anyway I posted it here as RFF and was hoping I would have to revise it ;). If there is any other news I'll put it on here.

Well - I haven't seen the photos (which I'm told are poor long distance shots). I'm not with the team just at the moment though I did text them with..."and Amur?". Anyway I posted it here as RFF and was hoping I would have to revise it ;). If there is any other news I'll put it on here.

Thanks Simon, I talked again it the observer, and i misunderstood what he meant by “white”, I assumed that the bird was white in the underbody plumage, but the observer only meant that the bird display “nuances” of white, probably from the light.

Thanks Simon, I talked again it the observer, and i misunderstood what he meant by “white”, I assumed that the bird was white in the underbody plumage, but the observer only meant that the bird display “nuances” of white, probably from the light.

I see what you mean - its been confirmed as RFF now.

123.Grey Wagtail (M)(W)
124. Western Orphean Warbler (M) a bird seen by Cabranosa yesterday.

The last couple of days I understand the last couple of days have seen raptors numbers increasing. Today there has been some unseasonable (early) rain showers - quite heavy at times. I'm out there the next 2 days to look for birds ;)

125: Reed Warbler - a few seen today

Raptor migration is held up by heavy cloudy weather, though its cleared out through the afternoon. Only raptors today were a few Honey Buzzards, Short-toed and Booted Eagles and Black Kites a couple of nice juv. Montagu's and Marsh Harriers and a dark phase 2nd yr Eleonora's Falcon. Lots of passerines but not major numbers today.

126: Bar-tailed Godwit (M) - small flock on seawatch
127: Common Redstart (M)
128: Black Redsart (R - aterrimus) (omitted earlier)
129: Blue Rock Thrush (R) (omitted earlier)
130. Common Buzzard (M)(W)
131: Pomarine Skua (M)(W?)

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

Around Lagos there it has been foggy in the morning, what is the situation like at Sagres? Also fog or just clouds?

Gonçalo, yes - the fog covered Lagos to Sagres - though by around 10am the birding was more productive as the sea mist gradually cleared.

Today - from Cabo de São Vicente we watched 4spp of shearwaters flying, swimming and plunge diving - all at very close range - down to around 100m from the cliffs; lots (30+) Balearic, a few Cory's, some 4-5 Sooty and one Great Shearwater. Excellent views indeed, almost like on a pelagic. Raptors were slow though we managed very nice views of a couple of Honey Buzzards, a few Black Kites, around 10 Short-toed Eagles and a couple of Booted, 3 Peregrines and Montagu's Harrier. More distant were a Goshawk and and an unindentified falcon, which I guess was a Hobby. Migrant passerines in the last two mornings have included Sand Martins, Tawny Pipits, Yellow Wagtails, Wheatears, Reed Warblers, Subalpine, Spectacled, Melodious, Willow and Western Bonelli's Warblers, Nightingales, Redstart and lots of Pied and Spotted Flycatchers. Little Bustards and Stone Curlews are showing well not far from Cabranosa too.

132. Black Stork (M) - first of the season yesterday.
133. Sparrowhawk (M)(W) - ditto
134. White Wagtail (M)(W) - ditto
135. Oystercatcher (M) - migrant flock of 18 going south past the cape.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon.

One other question: what are the limits of the "study area"?

I take it that there is no official boundary to the Sagres peninsula - my mention that it covers "some 60sq kms" is very arbritary - I think it could be argued that it covers more - say from Burgãu on the south coast to Carrapateira on the west coast - some 16kms wide at the base. This makes sense looking at the geography, habitats, birdlife and flora - being distinct from those further east. My measurements are very approximate.

It could be interesting to define a boundary. My take on it means that the area includes quite a lot of Cork Oak woodland in the inland valleys, which means the diversity of breeding birds is considerably increased. All in all a unique area and a unique mix of birdlife!

Last edited:
Thanks Simon.

One other question: what are the limits of the "study area"?

Just to avoid any confusion for everyone - there is no study area - the objective of this thread is to highlight the interest of this lesser known migration hotspot in the autumn. There have been numerous studies carried out over the years and of course the ongoing monitoring of the autumn raptor movements.

A friend just called to say he's found a Pectoral Sandpiper at the saltmarsh at Martinhal by Sagres this afternoon |:d|

136. Pectoral Sandpiper (vagrant)

That is true, however as far as I know very little has been published since the raptor watching campaigns stopped in 2001.

I was referring to studies of flora, fauna and habitats - not only birdlife. The campaigns that you refer to, ran by SPEA (Portuguese birdlife partner for those who don't know) and that I think we were both involved in (?) were different than the raptor migration census work the last years. The results of recent work are property of the windpark company and at some point this more detailed work will be published.

Of course there are the ongoing RAM seabird counts, breeding and wintering atlas work and some common bird census work that has been carried out in the area too.

Anyway - it would be nice to define exact limits of the Sagres peninsula.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back