• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sagres peninsula, Portugal - autumn migrants and more – 2014 (1 Viewer)

There was an odd call coming from the air above the peninsular beyond the Navigator appartment hotel. It sounded like a very alarmed falcon with kikiki calls running into an accelerating trill that lasted about 10 to 15 secs and was repeated many times. It was almost completely dark and the only bird I could see was a falcon that hammered through but I could not definitely link the calls to it. I wondered about Eleanoras but hope someone has experienced this before and can let me know the source. The calls only started at dusk.

Also I must say that a week looking for migrants around Sagres was extremely enjoyable and would recommend it to other forum members.

There was an odd call coming from the air above the peninsular beyond the Navigator appartment hotel. It sounded like a very alarmed falcon with kikiki calls running into an accelerating trill that lasted about 10 to 15 secs and was repeated many times. It was almost completely dark and the only bird I could see was a falcon that hammered through but I could not definitely link the calls to it. I wondered about Eleanoras but hope someone has experienced this before and can let me know the source. The calls only started at dusk.

Also I must say that a week looking for migrants around Sagres was extremely enjoyable and would recommend it to other forum members.

May I suggest that your falcon like call description sounds perfect for Alpine Swifts - some are still congregating at dusk to roost on the cliffs at the headland Ponta da Atalaia - which your hotel is at the base of! They are often very high up and can be hard to spot.... but very vocal before roosting. Your falcon is most likely to be one of the local Peregrines - our juvs. are very dark - though of course you could have spied an Eleonora's - there was a dark phase bird around Cabo de São Vicente yesterday morning.

146, Little Stint (M) one at Martinhal saltmarsh today
147. Sanderling (M)(W) - ditto - but surely recorded by others - but not mentioned.
148. Red-necked Nightjar (M)(S) 2 birds the last two evenings hawking around at dusk and a fabulous 5 metre away scope view of a roosting bird in broad daylight.

Passerine migrants are still in ridiculous numbers - notable was a major fall overnight of 1,000s of Willow Warblers - there were far fewer yesterday - I must have gone through easily 500 today - they were everywhere in all habitats. A couple of very grey toned birds were interesting and fitted acredula "type" perfectly.

Thanks Simon, Alpine swifts are a much more likely explanation. I thought that I knew their calls but its been a few years since I heard one. It was just frustrating not being able to see anything in the gloom.

149. Sabines Gull (M) - two juvs. were seen from a pelagic trip from Sagres today I was informed - first I know of this season.

Lots of Whinchats today and first migratory Robins. Passerine migrants in general in lower numbers than 2 days ago - but still managed to see most of those mentioned recently. As is typical in late September raptors increasing in numbers - some 15 species seen inc. Eleonora's Falcon and Osprey eating a fish on a rock. 3 Hobbies catching dragonflies too.

150. Savi's Warbler - a bird was seen on the 13th September near Sagres.

Far fewer passerine migrants today but many species - I found that there were many more though, at least in the afternoon in the southern valleys of the peninsula. Quite a few Subalpine and Garden Warblers today and two very confiding Ortolan Buntings. Raptors were excellent in the morning at Cabranosa - and 15 Black Storks gave excellent prolonged views circling low - as did Bonelli's (3), Short-toed and Booted Eagles, Egyptian Vulture, Black Kite, Hen and Marsh Harrier, Goshawk, Sparrowhawk and Honey Buzzard. A distant falcon was frustratingly a probable Eleonora's.

The most unusual sighting today for me was a totally white Pied Flycatcher - unfortunately no photos!

Last edited:
Look forward to seeing you next week Simon along with Martin and the equally helpful raptor team.
Thanks for the updates.
Best
Mick

151. Long-eared Owl (M)(W?) - a bird reported near Cabranosa 2 days ago
152. Griffon Vulture (M) - one bird yesterday at Cabranosa, the first of the season. In around 2 weeks the first big groups should arrive.

Yesterday small numbers but some 17 species of raptors were seen - though we are waiting for the big wave of Booted Eagles etc, they are late! Maybe they will coincide with the festival. Plenty of migrant Robins around now - they are early.

The two Pectoral Sandpipers (first time more than one at the same place in Portugal) were seen yesterday also - nice to know they are still there!

Actually it was the third or fourth.

2008-Calidris melanotos (2), Barroca d'Alva, 24-Set, por J. L. Santos
2011-Calidris melanotos, Torres Vedras-Foz do Sizandro, 2 Juvs., 2-Out, por M. Robb

Last edited:
Simon is the number of griffons still low? Weather conditions look good for passerines tomorrow and even on Saturday, the same for BOP’s.
I’m not going and I hope that I don’t have cause to regret…

Only two single birds up to now Pedro. The Griffons should only arrive in numbers by 10th-12th October earliest really - however at last year's festival wonderful views of single figure Eur.Griffons brought a very nice Rüppell's- so who knows ;)

Actually last year's festival was the best so far and unless things turn around very quickly this year may be rather poor in comparison as today was definitely the worst day I've ever seen for raptors at this time...and passerines weren't too common either. Anyway - we are expecting a surge of raptors soon..optimistically speaking!

Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus)

Today at about 11.45 a.m. near Cabranosa, Sagres

Seen by ca. 20 observers.

Attachments

• cir-mac-ge1.jpg
    cir-mac-ge1.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 101
  • cir-mac-ge2.jpg
    cir-mac-ge2.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 92
  • cir-mac-ge3f.jpg
    cir-mac-ge3f.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 103
  • cir-mac-ge4f.jpg
    cir-mac-ge4f.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 89
Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus)

Today at about 11.45 a.m. near Cabranosa, Sagres

Seen by ca. 20 observers.

Nice! I have only just heard of this but I'm back on the peninsula over the festival weekend. This bird is hopefully a good sign - looking at the weather we may have more raptors tomorrow or more likely Sunday.

153. Pallid Harrier (vagrant) - 2nd or 3rd for Sagres - there was one a similar time 2 autumn's ago that stayed in the area over a week - hopefully this one will do the same and more people may see it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back