• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sagres peninsula, Portugal - autumn migrants and more – 2014 (2 Viewers)

137. Hen Harrier - 2 birds were recorded a few days ago that I have just heard of.
138. Tree Pipit - one I've left off the list even though I've seen and heard quite a few - many birds recorded since the beginning of Sept

Last edited:
The campaigns that you refer to, ran by SPEA (Portuguese birdlife partner for those who don't know) and that I think we were both involved in (?)peninsula.

Yes. There were five of those, I think: 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000 and 2001.

were different than the raptor migration census work the last years.

Those campaigns also involved census for all species moving through. The methods were different but the goals were the same, I think.

at some point this more detailed work will be published.

Are you sure about this?

Of course there are the ongoing RAM seabird counts, breeding and wintering atlas work and some common bird census work that has been carried out in the area too.

Yes, but these studies are not for that area specifically.

Anyway - it would be nice to define exact limits of the Sagres peninsula.

Ok here is my contribution:

southern limit - sea
western limit - sea
northern limit - road that leads from Vila do Bispo westwards to Praia do Castelejo
eastern limit - road that leads from Raposeira to Praia do Zavial / Ingrina

What do you think?

Gonçalo,
During the raptor monitoring, passerine counts are done every morning and also seawatching from Cabo de São Vicente. The goals are different - the main goal is to avoid casualties at the windfarm - though of course, so much data is collected that the knowledge of the autumn migration in general is getting better all the time. I have been led to understand that some work from the monitoring will be published - though when, I've no idea - as I said the team monitoring have no say as the data is property of the windfarm company. Eventually, I'm sure interesting work will be available. One of the reasons I started this thread is to try to join up everyone's interesting birding in the area, whether from the monitoring or from visitors - its surely one of Europe's most interesting autumn migration destinations and I hope that this thread will contribute to its popularity.

I mentioned the atals work and seabird census (RAM) etc because although they are nationwide (Iberian in the case of RAM) a lot of data has been systematically collected from the Sagres area.

Last edited:
Ok here is my contribution:

southern limit - sea
western limit - sea
northern limit - road that leads from Vila do Bispo westwards to Praia do Castelejo
eastern limit - road that leads from Raposeira to Praia do Zavial / Ingrina

What do you think?

I could easily agree with you - in fact my take on the area used to be smaller. I think there is a strong argument for a larger area to be considered if one takes into account the breeding birds, habitats and flora etc. There are plant communites that are typical of Sagres in areas beyond the limits you suggest - and breeding birds too, like Skylark, Spectacled Warbler and Red-billed Chough for eg., which are classic Sagres peninsula birds.

Just posted a juvenile Red-footed Falcon on the European Rarities thread. East of hedge to Cabranosa watchpoint this evening.

2 Pectoral Sandpipers at Martinhal this afternoon. I think we may have one or two for your list. I'll have a proper look later.

All the best

Fabulous Paul and thanks very much for the call - funny I haven't heard of any on the Strait of Gibraltar (yet?) this autumn. There may well be a mini-twich tomorrow morning.

The two Pectoral Sandpipers (first time more than one at the same place in Portugal) were seen yesterday also - nice to know they are still there!

By the way - some of the Portuguese pastries are dead good - especially still warm in the morning, the little chicken pies are my fave! On the subject of food - a little plug for a great fish (and more) restaurant - very popular with the locals is Retiro do Pescador- signposted 100m north of the main roundabout.

139. Hobby
140. Redshank

Eleonora's Falcon is showing almost daily the last couple of weeks and today one was giving close up views at Cabranosa

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

Good to meet you recently on the track to Cabranosa and thanks for all your useful, local information. Attached is a pic of the EF I saw that day (2 Sept). It's the one that I showed you images of on the back of my camera. I have also attached a pic of a dark phase bird that was present on the 5 September.

All the best, Norm

Attachments

• PEF 14 09 02.JPG
    PEF 14 09 02.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DkElFa 1 14 09 05 .jpg
    DkElFa 1 14 09 05 .jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 85
Hi Simon,

Good to meet you recently on the track to Cabranosa and thanks for all your useful, local information. Attached is a pic of the EF I saw that day (2 Sept). It's the one that I showed you images of on the back of my camera. I have also attached a pic of a dark phase bird that was present on the 5 September.

All the best, Norm

Thanks Norm - great to have some nice photos of these beauties on here - the dark phase bird must have been quite close! Both seem to be 2nd cal.yr. birds, which fits in with what seems to be the norm (sorry!) for Sagres.

I wish these birds would stay and breed - we have excellent conditions (for eg the 4 islands of Islas do Martinhal off the southern coast and oodles of migrating passerines. It has been thought that maybe there is an unknown colony on the Portuguese west coast somewhere - but as time passes and coverage is increased this plausible theory seems very unlikely.

I do wonder where the regular Sagres birds come from though.

I wish these birds would stay and breed - we have excellent conditions (for eg the 4 islands of Islas do Martinhal off the southern coast and oodles of migrating passerines.

Hello Simon, as far as I know this species does not breed in Europe - close to the mainland, I mean. All known breeding sites are on islands lying well away from the mainland, mostly in the Mediterranean (namely Balearics, Sardinia, Greek islands, among others) but also in the Atlantic (Canary islands).

With this in mind, I would say that breeding so close to the mainland is highly unlikely (but this nice theory has obe drawback: there is indeed a colony on the African coast, namely near Essaouira, Morocco!)

It has been thought that maybe there is an unknown colony on the Portuguese west coast somewhere - but as time passes and coverage is increased this plausible theory seems very unlikely.

According to historical records, Eleonora's Falcon supposedly bred near Praia da Calada, close to Ericeira (roughly 40 km northwest of Lisbon) back in the 1980's, however this situation is very poorly documented, so it is doubtful if it ever occurred. There are no other breeding records.

I do wonder where the regular Sagres birds come from though.

This is an interesting issue that has puzzled me for a long time, especially when you take into account that the entire world population winters at Madagascar! I suppose it has to be post-breeding dispersal...?

Best r.,
Gonçalo

Hi Gonçalo - I had no idea about the location of the old breeding record/rumours near Ericeira. I wondered if our birds are from Essaouira, Morocco - on their way into the Mediterranean to join others migrating to Madagascar but birds have been tracked crossing the Sahara from there on migration. As ours all seem to be 2nd cal yr birds it makes sense to me that these are wandering birds, as juvs. and adults are still on breeding sites. I wonder if the birds know that the Sagres peninsula has large numbers of passerine migrants (and zillions of migrating dragonflies!) and come here on purpose, or they just end up here - in the cul-de-sac of south west Europe? I suspect the latter - then hang around for a good while for the good feeding.

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

Any idea about how many EF pass through Sagres each autumn?

Its tough to say - because many sightings are too quick or distant to identify individually. I think others would agree with me that birds tend to stay a few days at least - maybe much longer. Saying that, I believe that some 10 inds or so are involved each autumn but I doubt if numbers approach 20 inds. I seem to remember a record of 3 inds. at once - I'll ask the guys what they think today - I'm just off.

Just received news that the raptor team (except me who is based in Lagos!) are watching the 1st yr Red-footed Falcon catching insects at the entrance to the track to Cabranosa.

141. Spanish Imperial Eagle (M) - first (juv) of the season - didn't make it as far as Cabranosa and wasn't seen leaving the area either.
142. Arctic Tern (M) (Thanks to Paul Chapman)

Last edited:
A note on Eleonora's Falcon - on discussion today I was surprised when told that maybe as many as half the records are of adults and also an October juv. last year.

143. Great Black-backed Gull (W)(M?) (Thanks to Paul Chapman)
144. Robin - at inland breeding spot where its in shady valleys - theres many more as winter visitors - early October usually sees a massive overnight arrival on a particular day (R)(W)(M)

Last edited:
145. Audouin's Gull (M) - overlooked here - I saw a 2nd cal yr bird past Ponta da Atalaia on 9th September and I expect there have been more seen from the cape.

Today, like the last days, passerine migrants were pumping through the peninsula - particularly abundant were Spotted and Pied Flycatcher - just everywhere, in the middle of grassland, in the pine woods, on the clifftops and on the bush at the petrol station! Really everywhere - you could not help but see them wherever you stopped over 10's of sq kms. Other numerous migrants were Whinchat, N.Wheatear, Willow Warbler, Whitethroat and Yellow Wagtails (inc. UK ones). Quite often we saw or heard Nightngale through the day, as well as Melodious Warbler, Reed Warbler, Common Redstart and Tawny Pipit. Also managed a couple of Western Bonelli's, a Grassopper a Subalpine and a Garden Warbler and a really tame Iberian Chiffchaff feeding a metre away for ages. The odd Spectacled and Dartford Warbler and of course Sardinian Warbler made for a dozen warblers day. Nice views of 2 Ortolan Buntings at Ponta de Atalaia were the first I've seen properly this year. Just around 20 Turtle Doves - in ones and twos is not good though.

Raptors were fun during the prime 10-12am time - giving excellent views.; 2 juv Bonelli's, around 20 Booted and around 10 Short-toed Eagles. a Black Kite, 2 Montagu's Harriers, a few Honey Buzzards. However extra excitemnet was brought by the shocking sight of one of the local juv. Peregrines dive bombing a group of 11 juv. Black Storks - making body contact on one of them just above us - this one bird left the flock and started winging it the Peregrine in hot pursuit. However, after a couple more dive bombings, the falcon soon got bored of this game and went away as quick as it arrived and the stork flew back and rejoined the flock.

We just missed an Egyptian Vulçture and a juv. Hen Harrier.

Seabirds were pretty dismal in the half an hour we tried so we left them be today!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back