• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater ID - Central NJ (2 Viewers)

NJBirder12

I saw this bird very briefly off of Manasquan NJ - I was scanning specifically for Sooty Shearwaters as they have been seen at this location the last 2 days. This bird appeared very dark but was quite distant and only gave a few second view. Hoping someone can give me a positive id with over-all silhouette/impression/color or can eliminate other species.

Attachments

• 2023.5.30 manasquan inlet 1a.jpg
    2023.5.30 manasquan inlet 1a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 2023.5.30 manasquan inlet 2a.jpg
    2023.5.30 manasquan inlet 2a.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 56
From what can be seen, it looks good. Silvery flash in the centre of the underwing, all dark otherwise. Anything else it could conceivably be would be vanishingly rare for the East coast.
Agreed. Nothing else would be this dark unless it’s a vagrant, which is not really worth considering in this case. Sooties are in season, nice sighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back