• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sawovski and Vortex Diamondback’s (1 Viewer)

stateguy

United States
Just got the cl and like them a lot but not sure if they were worth spending five more then the diamondback
can anyone tell me what I should be seeing a difference in owning the Swarovsk. The diamondbacks are 10x42; swarovski ar the cl 8x30
i thought I would be able to see smaller objects better with the 8x30 because it’s a better binocula. Dont get me wrong it’s very close but the diamondbacks just made the license plate out at a further distance.
if anyone can give me information on what else I should be paying attention too when using them I appreciate it

First off, 10x vs. 8x, and unless it's a real dog, the higher magnification should always win the license plate reading contest.

Just got the cl and like them a lot but not sure if they were worth spending five more then the diamondback
can anyone tell me what I should be seeing a difference in owning the Swarovsk. The diamondbacks are 10x42; swarovski ar the cl 8x30
i thought I would be able to see smaller objects better with the 8x30 because it’s a better binocula. Dont get me wrong it’s very close but the diamondbacks just made the license plate out at a further distance.
if anyone can give me information on what else I should be paying attention too when using them I appreciate it
If you are new to using expensive optics this may be the dilemma you have to face. Still, after more than a year of use, I cannot justify buying an NL 8X42 and carrying it over 10 times cheaper and much lighter Monarch 7 8x30. For me, despite its price and the small objectives Monarch 7 resolves details as almost as good as NL.

If you are happy with the Vortex, then keep them over the Swaros.
However....10x42 against 8x30 is not a fair fight really!
One good test is if you stand in direct sunlight, and look into shadows, like underneath a tree, or into a tunnel etc... and see which is better.
It's a good test for sunglasses too.
My Julbo sunglasses destroyed the Oakleys I had originally wanted in that particular test (as the optometrist told me they would).
My Leica BN's also outgunned my old Conquests in that test too!!!

But get what is right for you.... take advice from those here.... but ultimately its your choice and your money.

But all the difference is precisely in this word : 'almost' !!!!
For some, it's almost nothing, and for others it makes a huge difference !!! ;)
That is exactly my point 😀 For untrained eyes it is not a big difference. However, 8-10 times higher cost gives you extra clarity, a bit bigger FOV (FOV in NL is bigger when I compare it with Monarch 7, however not noticeable when I use it for birding), edge sharpness, good warranty and the feeling of having one of the best optics in the world 😌 But still, even cheaper binoculars give you enough clarity and resolution to identify birds. However, you will gain extra pleasure of birding by seeing through superior optics in expensive binoculars. The hard part is digesting the guilt feeling of spending so much money on a binoculars, specially for one not having a good income.

If you tried and you can´t see any difference amongst them, then go for the cheap ones. No doubt about that.
Swarovski Cl 8x32 are around 1200€
10x42 Diamonbacks around 280€.
Stateguy as you can see the bino companies make different types of binos depending customers different uses. Vortex has Razor, fury, diamonbacks, triumph ..etc. Swarovski NL, EL , Cl ..etc
Will you use it for birdwatching? then an effective fast focus wheel; fast from close to far, smooth and precise. Will you use them in short distances due to deep forest? ...them better a 8x magnification. Deep forest = lack a light, then much better 42mm objective.
If you idea is to carry some binos around and have then ready in your back pack. Many times bumping the back pack and throwing it around... go for the cheap ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back