• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saying "Hello" and a question about a nocturnal bird song... (1 Viewer)

Steiger

United States
Hello -- I've been a birder since about 1985. Since moving with my now wife to Tucson, Arizona and birding in the desert, in particular around Patagonia and Bisbee, Arizona to the south of Tucson. I do most of my viewing, searching, and listening now while on hikes or backpacks. I've thoroughly exhausted my local birding area (suburban Bay Area).

Well...I thought I knew the birds of my area--Northern California. But I'm stumped and I hope you can help (and let me know if I should post this elsewhere in the forum if you think it'll get more views). My problem: My wife and I have been hearing a bird song at night outside our bedroom window. It's occurred before within the last few years or so. It happened last night between 9 and 10 pm. No wind. Very quiet outside. The call sounds a bit like what most would assume would be an owl (and perhaps it is). We live in a suburban area of the San Francisco Bay Area. But I've heard a lot of owls and this doesn't sound much like an owl. (It isn't, by the way, a Northern Mockingbird.) The sound is something like whoooo hooo who --- whooo hooo who. It went on for awhile and then it was answered by another bird who had a similar sound but slightly different call. That call I don't remember well. It came in later and didn't last for long. The sound stopped about half an hour after it started.

Mourning dove at night...?

Sorry I don't have more or better information. I suppose if it happens again I could make a recording of it. Can one upload bird calls to the site? Let me know.

And please, let me know if you have any idea what this bird might be.

Thanks! Steiger

Hola Steiger! Welcome to Birdforum (y)

Just an idea - have you tried to ID the bird with "Merlin Bird ID". This is an App for your smartphone. Just install the App on your phone, load in the App the Bird Pack for the US West Coast and then use the Sound ID option of the App. Luckily the Merlin will give you some options?

Last edited:
Hi Steiger and a warm welcome from me too. Yes, you can upload sound files they should be in mp3 format, then click on the Attach Files button at the bottom of the message pane. It would be best if you started a new thread, perhaps, in the ID forum, though a Moderator can move this one there if you prefer.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hoping you get some good suggestions.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly group. Yes, you can upload sound files the best place would be in this forum:
We do ask that you include the place and date in the title, that way those who are familiar are more apt to reply.

I am in/around Tucson as well and I know exactly what you are describing. I do believe its a dove, but I will try the above mentioned app to confirm. I hear several very strange calls at night that I know are birds, but I have no idea from what species those calls are emanating.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back