• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope Question (1 Viewer)

BAL Land

United States
Hi,

This is the scope I currently use.

Gosky 20-60 X 80 Porro Prism Spotting Scope- Waterproof Scope for Bird Watching Target Shooting Archery Range Outdoor Activities -with Tripod & Digiscoping Adapter https://a.co/d/1Gnj5cV

I’m happy with it as my first ever scope, but the quality(as expected) isn’t great. I have a sturdy tripod. I’m curious if anyone thinks upgrading to a scope in the 400-600$ range would be worth the upgrade? And if so, any suggestions on exact models?

use my scope in these scenarios:

Seawatches

Foe shorebirds/waterbirds that are at least somewhat far away

For anything else that is probably going to be far away that’s not sonfbirds(raptors, etc.)

Thanks!

Try this thread for ideas:

I would say that similar to binoculars, to get meaningful improvements you need to double the price each time.

The most obvious upgrade to look for in your new scope is ED glass, this will allow a clear image at 40x and beyond.

Other nice-to-have features as you pay more:
1. Optional fixed focal length eyepieces for much wider fields of view
2. High-quality zoom with wider fields of view especially at low power
3. Long transferrable warranty eg 10 years or even lifetime.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back