• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sevnica - Slovenia (1 Viewer)

the bird

Carpe diem
Can anyone help ?

Having gone to beautiful and amazing Slovenia a couple of years ago - Lake Bohinj and Kranjska Gora, I would like to go back - but to try a different area.

I was thinking of Sevnica in the east of Slovenia - but can only find very limited information on the area.

Does anybody have info at all on the area or has any body been to this area of Slovenia - if so please let me know your experiences and also what wildlife can be found there ??? Or does anybody now of any Slovenes who are members of Bird Forum??

Cheers

The Bird - John

the bird said:
Can anyone help ?

Having gone to beautiful and amazing Slovenia a couple of years ago - Lake Bohinj and Kranjska Gora, I would like to go back - but to try a different area.

I was thinking of Sevnica in the east of Slovenia - but can only find very limited information on the area.

Does anybody have info at all on the area or has any body been to this area of Slovenia - if so please let me know your experiences and also what wildlife can be found there ??? Or does anybody now of any Slovenes who are members of Bird Forum??

Cheers

The Bird - John

Anybody want to help ????? Arggghhhh!!!!!

the bird said:
Anybody want to help ????? Arggghhhh!!!!!

I've been to Slovenia three times, not birdwatching but on business unfortunately. I agree that it's a lovely country (I only know Ljubljana and the beautiful Lake Bled area) and very much hope to go back again one day, even though I am now retired.

Jurij Hanzel from Slovenia did reply to one of my posts recently. He is one of our younger members (15 years old according to his profile) but he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Have a good trip and let us all know what you find.

Chris in France said:
I've been to Slovenia three times, not birdwatching but on business unfortunately. I agree that it's a lovely country (I only know Ljubljana and the beautiful Lake Bled area) and very much hope to go back again one day, even though I am now retired.

Jurij Hanzel from Slovenia did reply to one of my posts recently. He is one of our younger members (15 years old according to his profile) but he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Have a good trip and let us all know what you find.

Cheers Chris I'll contact young Jurji see if I can find any more info....

still open to anybody who knows something about Sevnica.

In addition does anybody know anything about Targu Mures, Transylvania in Romania and it surrounding countryside and bird life, etc.

cheers

John

Hi John-

There are actually three Slovenian Important Bird Areas within striking distance from Sevnica:

1. Sava River - between Zagorje ob Savi and Radeče

2. Kozjansko - north and east of Kozje

3. Krakovski Forest/Šentjernej Plain - north and east of Kostanjevica na Krki

Krakovski Forest is the largest preserved lowland forest in Slovenia, known for its Middle Spotted Woodpeckers and Collared Flycatchers. Lesser Spotted Eagle has bred here. The Šentjernej Plain is adjacent and has some very attractive agricultual habitats. It was the last Slovenian stronghold of the Lesser Grey Shrike.

If you're looking for a peaceful, off-the-beaten-track destination (and it seems like you are), I'd stay in the lovely village of Kostanjevica na Krki and explore the Krakovski Forest/Šentjernej Plain area and the Gorjanci Hills on the Croatian border. Some non-birding time could include the cave of Kostanjeviška jama, and if you feel the need for some urban activity you are not so far from Zagreb.

Hope this helps a little.

-Adam

Blackstart said:
Hi John-

There are actually three Slovenian Important Bird Areas within striking distance from Sevnica:

1. Sava River - between Zagorje ob Savi and Radeče

2. Kozjansko - north and east of Kozje

3. Krakovski Forest/Šentjernej Plain - north and east of Kostanjevica na Krki

Krakovski Forest is the largest preserved lowland forest in Slovenia, known for its Middle Spotted Woodpeckers and Collared Flycatchers. Lesser Spotted Eagle has bred here. The Šentjernej Plain is adjacent and has some very attractive agricultual habitats. It was the last Slovenian stronghold of the Lesser Grey Shrike.

If you're looking for a peaceful, off-the-beaten-track destination (and it seems like you are), I'd stay in the lovely village of Kostanjevica na Krki and explore the Krakovski Forest/Šentjernej Plain area and the Gorjanci Hills on the Croatian border. Some non-birding time could include the cave of Kostanjeviška jama, and if you feel the need for some urban activity you are not so far from Zagreb.

Hope this helps a little.

-Adam

Cheers Blackstart... this is very helpful, is it a nice area the pictures I have seen of Sevnica look really nice but do you know if it is?? Meaning - is it a pretty town ???

the bird said:
Cheers Blackstart... this is very helpful, is it a nice area the pictures I have seen of Sevnica look really nice but do you know if it is?? Meaning - is it a pretty town ???
I don't know about Sevnica being pretty or not, because I've never been, but there are very few parts of Slovenia that aren't pretty.

I have, however, been to Kostanjevica na Krki, and can vouch for its attractiveness. It is a village and not a town, though, so your lodging options will probably be fewer.

-Adam

Blackstart said:
I don't know about Sevnica being pretty or not, because I've never been, but there are very few parts of Slovenia that aren't pretty.

I have, however, been to Kostanjevica na Krki, and can vouch for its attractiveness. It is a village and not a town, though, so your lodging options will probably be fewer.

-Adam

Cheers Adam

much appreciated

regards

John

I am still away on holidays in the USA, so I didn't respond particularly fast.
You may find the town of Sevnica a bit depressing because a major factory there was closed and there are many unemployed. Otherwise it is a very nice town on the river Sava. Krakovski gozd is a prime destination but you would probably need a guide because you have to know particular spots for particular birds. I will PM you a contact number as soon as possible.
Kostanjevica na Krki is a wonderful village on an island and is certainly worth visiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back