• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL vs. Aurora... (1 Viewer)

And to loop back to the original Aurora comparison... if it's somewhere between the MHG and the SFL, at the price of the MHG, it sounds like a real winner.

Nice comparison / topic. I've still not seen or used an Aurora, but I increasingly find myself moving towards lighter and lighter binoculars for most of my birding. The little 8x30 SFL is a marvel, I adore it. It's everything I loved about the MHG 8x30 for years but just a little better on all fronts.

I have borrowed multiple times a 10x40 SFL from a friend. At first I wasn't really impressed but it really has grown on me. It's less FOV and less "wow factor" than an NL / SF but it's way lighter, has a great focuser, has great ergonomics, has a good FOV just not as massive, is razor sharp in the center which is what matters to me, has terrific color, great stray light suppression, and increasingly impresses me as the best bin I have used for the weight. At least for me, the SFLs are really a sweet spot - again they are the perfect package that the MHG was, just a bit better all around without being over-engineered or otherwise hamstrung.

Speaking of over-engineered and hamstrung... I also recently took an NL 10x42 on a couple weeks of mostly desert / open country birding. Optically amazing, the glare is occasionally there but it's situational so doesn't bother most of the time. But the f*cking eye cups are maddening, you cannot put them up or down without changing the IPD and perhaps once a day unscrewing an eye-cup. I'll have another go round with Swaro to see if they have a solution yet but at this point the SFL is a honestly just a better birding tool than the NL at half the price, despite what is overall a patently better optical package on the NL. All that FOV and edge clarity is useless when crippled (for my use) by the ergonomics.
Could you elaborate as to why the IPD changes when you adjust the position of the eyecups?

Thx
Paul

Build quality is important to me. That’s why I like Mavens. Also makes me wonder why they can build such high quality glasses at reasonable prices and the big companies don’t. I did have my B3 focus wheel loosened up a bit but that was personal preference. I think most people would like the stock stiffness. I’ve owned several and the consistency is amazing. Got rid of the others because the eyecups are a little short for my personal preference. However thanks to this forum I was able to extend them 2 mm with O rings. Made all the difference in the world and would never have known how to do it without having read about it here.

Also interesting that Mavens are assembled here in the US of Japanese components. The QC is excellent and I imagine being a smaller company they want to make sure everything is perfect before they send it out in order to grow their business. They just built an impressive new HQ in Lander which is an indication they’re thriving.

Thanks for the review and others opinions. The thing that turns me off with Opticrons is the build quality. Every one I’ve owned or handled is lacking in that regard.
My inexpensive Opticron Oregon 8x42’s are pretty well made and clear and bright, which is surprising for sub $200, made PRC binoculars. The Savanna 6x30 Porro prisms not so much and the focus wheel isn’t as smooth. I’ll be buying 1k-priced binoculars down the road, and they might be a pair of Auroras or something of similar quality. Maybe Zeiss will come out with a new Conquest by then.

Travellers, Verano, DBH VHD, Natura, Explorer WA ED-R. Plus I used an Aurora at at a Bird Fair. Couldn’t believe the salesman brought them as a demo. I definately fall into the fool me once shame on you, fooled me five times shame on me.

I will say this though. I bought a pair of Travellers for my wife from a member here. The build quality was ok and the optics nice. The Travellers I bought for myself were defective. The diopter did not work at all

Travellers, Verano, DBH VHD, Natura, Explorer WA ED-R. Plus I used an Aurora at at a Bird Fair. Couldn’t believe the salesman brought them as a demo. I definately fall into the fool me once shame on you, fooled me five times shame on me.

I will say this though. I bought a pair of Travellers for my wife from a member here. The build quality was ok and the optics nice. The Travellers I bought for myself were defective. The diopter did not work at all
so every pair of opticrons were faulty?

No. Just the travelers (first pair) but the build quality was poor on each one. Build quality is very important to me. Hinges that are too loose, eyecups that won’t stay in place, diopters that need constant adjustment are not acceptable to me. Plus the optics were t anything special on any. The Travellers were pretty good though for their price point. I’m glad people here like them and have had better experiences with them than I have.

No. Just the travelers (first pair) but the build quality was poor on each one. Build quality is very important to me. Hinges that are too loose, eyecups that won’t stay in place, diopters that need constant adjustment are not acceptable to me. Plus the optics were t anything special on any. The Travellers were pretty good though for their price point. I’m glad people here like them and have had better experiences with them than I have.
one minute you say about the traveller "The build quality was ok and the optics nice" the next minute you say "Just the travelers (first pair) but the build quality was poor on each one. Build quality is very important to me. Hinges that are too loose, eyecups that won’t stay in place, diopters that need constant adjustment are not acceptable to me. Plus the optics were t anything special on any" ??? ,

you thought the Travellers were poor yet you purchased a second pair???

Yup bought them from a member here who assured me they were functioning properly. He had won them and sold them to me for half price of retail. They came as advertised. Happy ending.

It was because of those I tried others. The Veranos were the best of the bunch but eyecups were loose and the optics so so.

For what it's worth, even alphas can have this problem, like the UVHD+ 32 I had for a while. (I'm sure I could have had it fixed in service, but that HD+ just never grew on me, being a bit too small ergonomically, and not enough of an improvement on the trusty old BN.)
Yeah... I've had some EDGs that were that way....fixed it myself. I currently have a Vortex Razor UHD 10X50 that's not tight enough AND a stiff focus. I'm about to send it back. Really nice binocular otherwise.

Thanks for the review and others opinions. The thing that turns me off with Opticrons is the build quality. Every one I’ve owned or handled is lacking in that regard.
You know I currently have FIVE Opticrons...the Aurora is my fifth. IMO they have all been built pretty well. I haven't had any issues with them. In particular I like the Verano, the Traveller BGA ED, and the Aurora. But I know what you mean. I was actually thinking about this today while birding. Exactly what IS quality/build quality?

IMG_2636.jpeg

Two of my favorite watches with vastly different price points. Both are "waterproof." Both are automatic/self-winding. Both are diver watches. Yet BOTH have been problem free and are about equally accurate keeping time. Is one better made than the other? Hard to answer isn't it?
And to loop back to the original Aurora comparison... if it's somewhere between the MHG and the SFL, at the price of the MHG, it sounds like a real winner.
So far....to my eyes....I'd probably have to give the Aurora the nod between it and the MHG. I used them both a little while today!

Maven makes a great bino. I have had a few sets and the only thing that made me switch away was trying to find a lighter setup. Image quality was always excellent to my eye. I will eventually get another pair now that they have the 1.2s with a great fov.

Maven makes a great bino.
Welcome to BirdForum! Experience just varies at this level. The Maven demo they sent to me once had a loose hinge and tight focuser (bad combination), plus a wandering diopter, which not only suggests they don't hold up well, but shows a serious lack of attention. (The Opticron demo I tried once in a store had similar issues.) So once again all one can say is "glad you've had better luck with them".

Two of my favorite watches with vastly different price points. Both are "waterproof." Both are automatic/self-winding. Both are diver watches. Yet BOTH have been problem free and are about equally accurate keeping time. Is one better made than the other?
Have you gone down to their depth rating? (but take the bins off when you get to 5 feet)

Last edited:
Welcome to BirdForum! Experience just varies at this level. The Maven demo they sent to me once had a loose hinge and tight focuser (bad combination), plus a wandering diopter, which not only suggests they don't hold up well, but shows a serious lack of attention. So once again all one can say is "glad you've had better luck with them".

Have you gone down to their depth rating? (but take the bins off when you get to 5 feet)
Bummer. I have only had 3 pairs. I guess it’s a good thing they have a solid warranty. I’m not saying they’re the best, but they have a solid performance/price balance. Especially if you get any kind of industry discount. If you were to suggest any other options around the $1k mark, what route would you take? I’m trying to unload some swaro nl pures I have to fund a bino/spotter setup.

If you were to suggest any other options around the $1k mark, what route would you take?
This is a common question so you'll find many such threads here on the forum. Conquest seems popular (apart from the eyecups), Nikon MHG... but if you like Mavens, the B1.2 could work for you. Or look for a pre-owned alpha in this price range. I particularly like later SLCs and found a nice 2011 10x42 a couple of years ago (for a bit more).

Last edited:
Chuck,

Have you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? :)

Regards,
John
Hi John,

No I haven't BUT...you are not the first person to mention that book to me. It should be here Monday!

Welcome to BirdForum! Experience just varies at this level. The Maven demo they sent to me once had a loose hinge and tight focuser (bad combination), plus a wandering diopter, which not only suggests they don't hold up well, but shows a serious lack of attention. (The Opticron demo I tried once in a store had similar issues.) So once again all one can say is "glad you've had better luck with them".

No sir. Mostly just for snorkeling and on the beach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back