• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Perambulations (2 Viewers)

Oh Kev, I wasn't expecting your result this soon. I'm sure you have jus released the promo of the sunbird. Don't forget to shoot them when you go to Hainan again, it's a diff ssp.

A gorgeous little bird for my B'day. Thanks a ton Folks!

Thanks Dev - and happy birthday ! You kept that quiet ! :king:

I have only a few days left before the long NZ trip so I've got a lot of processing to complete ASAP !

Nice shot of the Sunbird, Kevin.

Does that mean the cameras are back in working order?

Thanks Jeff ! The D800 was repaired in under 24 hrs (broken contacts) and the DA*300 just came back today (and will go straight up for sale) !

I have just bought a 120-300/2.8 and two TCs to complement the 500. My wife thinks I'm sick - some people call it LBA but I'm loving this kit !

A few more shots from Hangzhou last weekend.

#1 Now THAT is the way to travel in China !
#2 Crested Goshawk who literally just ignored us, we could have danced, sung Karaoke, the works, he/she wasn't interested. I think from the blood stains on the lower breast that breakfast was being digested.
#3 Flying Mandarins ! Ducks that is.
#4 Notice the hole in the water (close to the sign) left by a diving Kingfisher flagrantly disobeying it's instructions !
#5 Setting sun - not good for flying Mandarin duck shots !

Attachments

• Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-XL.jpg
    Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-XL.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Crested%20Goshawk%20-%20%20Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-XL.jpg
    Crested%20Goshawk%20-%20%20Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-XL.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Mandarin%20Ducks%20in%20Flight%20-%20%20Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-XL.jpg
    Mandarin%20Ducks%20in%20Flight%20-%20%20Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-XL.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Kingfisher%20can%27t%20read%20shocker%20%21%20%20Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-X2.jpg
    Kingfisher%20can%27t%20read%20shocker%20%21%20%20Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-X2.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-X2.jpg
    Hangzhou%20-%20February%202013-X2.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Pied Avocets & Black Winged Stilts

.... as it says, from a small body of water close to, but isolated from, Poyang Lake.

Also a Penduline Tit - such sweet things - however I really missed my 'big gun' Sigma 500 on the D800 for this one :( This was taken with the Pentax K5, DA*300 and AFA x1.7 TC.

EDIT : Added a B&W shot of the Pied Avocets

Attachments

• Juvenile%20Black%20Winged%20Stilt%20-%20Poyang%20Lake%202013-X2.jpg
    Juvenile%20Black%20Winged%20Stilt%20-%20Poyang%20Lake%202013-X2.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Pied%20Avocets%20%20-%20Poyang%20Lake%202013-X2.jpg
    Pied%20Avocets%20%20-%20Poyang%20Lake%202013-X2.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Penduline%20Tit%20-%20Poyang%20Lake%20-%20%20January%202013-XL.jpg
    Penduline%20Tit%20-%20Poyang%20Lake%20-%20%20January%202013-XL.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Pied%20Avocets%20%20-%20Poyang%20Lake%202013-XL.jpg
    Pied%20Avocets%20%20-%20Poyang%20Lake%202013-XL.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Oops fell asleep whilst posting yesterday ;)

So not China related but I'll write a NZ Trip Report on my return.

Day 1 & 2 of restricted birding (wife-cuffs) meant just a few sightings to report :
European Starlings - numerous*#
House Sparrows - common*#
Purple Swamp Hens (Pukekho) - 12*#
TBC - 5 *
Australasian Coot - 5#
Mallard - 6#
Indian Myna - common#*
Australian Magpie - 8*#
White Fronted Tern - 6#
Song Thrush -5#
Black Backed Gull - numerous#
Red Billed Gull - 8#^
Kelp Gull - common*#
Buzzard - 5# TBC
Raptor -1# (smaller than Buzzard above) TBC
NZ Grebe#
Pied Oystercatcher - 50#^
NZ Dotterel #^ (I'm guessing 1st yr bird - little rufous on the belly and because it approached me to have it's photo taken :D
Wader B TBC #
Lesser Knot - flock, 30+#
Dab Chick -6#
Little Pied Cormorant (Shag) - 15#^
Great Cormorant - 3#
TBC (all black Ducks) - 2#
Welcome Swallow -3#
Silvereye -1#

Those with an * were seen in Auckland. Those with a # were seen on the Coromandel peninsular. ^photo pending processing. Some IDing still to be done - once I can find a book shop !
We passed a small lake on the right (estuary on the left) on the way to Coromandel, there were many birds resting here - such a pity I hadn't saved just a little more of my wife's patience for this spot ;)

Last edited:
No bookshop then ;D
Amazingly found it in Tauranga today ! A cool $52.

Anyway I've updated the list above and today (Rotorua and Akere waterfall) :-

Tui - delighted to see his bird. We heard it's unique call first, couldn't see it except through deep cover but an hour later we returned and it was close by again but this time feeding on small black berries. ^

Fantail - 1 same location as the Tui, some silver eyes and other small passerines. ^
Black Swan - 10
Mute Swan - 10+
NZ Scaup - 1,000+
NZ Robin - the only bird I got a shot of in the woods around Akere Falls as the others were lethargic (hit 33C in his area today) and most stayed high in the 30M high canopy - interesting calls though ! ^
Wild Turkey - 12 + chicks
Goldfinch - 4 or 5^

Have photo = ^

So far, nothing is in fancy color n bold fonts, So no big birds yet? Take your time mate. Spring migration can wait.

Terry may have got some info for you, check his FB page for his recent NZ trip.

https://www.facebook.com/BirdingBeijing?fref=ts

Ha ha - some nice birds Dev, I just can't keep up with the PP though. Too much to do / see ! Here's some of the 46 species so far :

NZ Dotterel* (flock of 30 in Waitangi and 1 in Tauranga).
NZ Green Pigeon
Caspian Tern
Blue Penguin
Eastern Rosella
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
NZ Scaup
Pacific Black Duck*
Grey Duck*
Sacred Kingfisher
Spur Winged Plover &
5 species of Cormorants (Shags).

* big birds ;)

Last edited:
7 species of Albatross ^ + Shearwaters ^ and Petrols ^. All kindly ID'd by our Capt !

Saddleback, Bellbird, Stitchbird, Red Crowned Parakeet and NZ Falcon (or black falcon - hopefully the long distance shots can confirm) and Takahe plus Sperm Whale, Fur Seals and Dusky, Common and Bottlenose dolphins too.

80 species so far although I doubt I can reach my 100 target.

I'm pretty certain I want to stay here though ;)

Last edited:
7 species of Albatross ^ + Shearwaters ^ and Petrols ^. All kindly ID'd by our Capt !

Saddleback, Bellbird, Stitchbird, Red Crowned Parakeet and NZ Falcon (or black falcon - hopefully the long distance shots can confirm) and Takahe plus Sperm Whale, Fur Seals and Dusky, Common and Bottlenose dolphins too.

80 species so far although I doubt I can reach my 100 target.

I'm pretty certain I want to stay here though ;)

Stay there? Nah. You belong to the world's greatest flyway.

Agree with Dev.

NZ's avifauna comprises seabirds, six endemics (give or take) and twenty English songbirds. Cheers
Mike

:) Thanks Dev & Mike. I'm actually looking forward to being back for the Spring migration - though after driving 1,000's kms here China is going to be horrific. NZ is a really gorgeous country but I am stunned (as Mike pointed out) at the lack of birds inland here. Not only are the number of species very low but total numbers are too. More possums (roadkill every 50 yds) than birds it seems.

Kea, Tomtit and I think Rock Wren (need to confirm the call to be sure of the poor visual record) added today.

Last edited:
Frogfish;2676917...I think Rock Wren (need to confirm the call to be sure of the poor visual record) added today.[/QUOTE said:
No, NO...NOOOOO! I warned you about this...no seeing this stupid bird...not allowed...foul throw...high feet...

Grrr (from the business lounge at Vantaa so life ain't all bad...see ya soon ;D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back