• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Perambulations (1 Viewer)

Sounds like a brilliant day, gents., in more ways than one Two lifers for me on that list. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, right? Just sorry I cost you an hour of morning birding time.

Love the swallowtail shot, Kev.

JH

Sounds like a brilliant day, gents., in more ways than one Two lifers for me on that list. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, right? Just sorry I cost you an hour of morning birding time.

Love the swallowtail shot, Kev.

JH

Absolutely nothing to be sorry about Jeff .. we are just glad to hear you are up and about and recuperating well !

Xiao Yang Shan & Nanhui with a visting American, Len, taking time off from his work, yesterday (gorgeous weather again) ! Disappointingly there were not the numbers there yesterday - no doubt taking advantage of the SSW winds and fine weather of the past few days to wing their way Northwards (excepting Jocko's exceptional finds on XYS on Sunday) !

Of course it didn't help the species numbers that the large mudflats Mark & I found last week were under water, or that another wader patch had dried up or that late in the day we were distracted from checking out the 'duck & egret' lakes by a Siberian Rubythroat and a Large Hawk Cuckoo ! :D

A bit of an enigma was the disappearance of the thrushes, just one snap shot viewing of a Dusky (Rubbish dump) and one Pale (by the Temple). The male Redflank Bluetails seem to have all headed North too - we didn't see anything except females.

Pics to come later.

(46-49)

Arctic Warbler
Asian Brown Flycatcher (1)
Barn Swallow
BCN Heron
Blackbird
Black Faced Bunting (numerous)
Brambling (5-6)
Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler (1)
Chinese Bulbul
Common Kestrel (1)
Common Kingfisher (1)
Common Sandpiper
Common Moorhen (2)
Crested Myna
Daurian Redstart (1 male)
Dusky Thrush (1 - Rubbish Tip)
Eastern Crowned Warbler
Elegant Bunting
Great Tit - (1 - Tibetanus)
Grey Heron (4)
Grey Wagtail (1)
Kentish Plover
Large Hawk Cuckoo (1)
Little Egret
Little Grebe
Little Ringed Plover
Long Tailed Shrike
Manchurian Bush Warbler (numerous, now in Nan Hui as well as everywhere on XYS)
Marsh Sandpiper
Oriental Skylark (1)
Oriental Turtle Dove
Pale Thrush (1 x Temple)
Plain Prinia
Red Billed Starling (small flock)
Red Flanked Bluetail
Red Necked Stint
Ring Necked Dove
Red Necked Stint
Rustic Bunting (numerous)
Sharp Tailed Sandpiper (ca. 15)
Siberian Rubythroat (1 male)
Tree Sparrow
Vinous Throated Parrotbills
White Cheeked Starling (1)
White Wagtail (leucopsis)
Yellow Wagtails (4 - Eastern)

3 warblers to be IDed (post up in the ID forum).

Last edited:
Congrats on the lifers, Kevin. I got my lifer Rubythroat last month in Cambodia. They are spectacular little birds, when they come out in the open!

JH

Congratulations on the Rubythroat Kevin!

btw . . . a superb portrait of a very Handsome Dusky Thrush a few posts back.

Let me know if the shopping trip comes off.

Cheers
Mike

Congrats on the Lifers and Waiting to see the Ruby, Kev. XYS never disappoints for Cuckoo. Looks like local birders have bagged some other migrants too. A bluethroat and a warbler which looks more likely for a White-spectacled Warbler @ Nanhui.(http://www.shwbs.org/swb/read.php?tid=7530)

I got my first migrant of the season while walking to the subway station, couple of Barn Swallows.;)

Congratulations on the Rubythroat Kevin!

btw . . . a superb portrait of a very Handsome Dusky Thrush a few posts back.

Let me know if the shopping trip comes off.

Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mike !

Shopping - I only have to mention it to her and it will be a done deal ;)

Congrats on the Lifers and Waiting to see the Ruby, Kev. XYS never disappoints for Cuckoo. Looks like local birders have bagged some other migrants too. A bluethroat and a warbler which looks more likely for a White-spectacled Warbler @ Nanhui.(http://www.shwbs.org/swb/read.php?tid=7530)

I got my first migrant of the season while walking to the subway station, couple of Barn Swallows.;)

Thanks Dev !

We arrived a bit too late for good shots of the Ruby, but I have record shots. I agree about XYS and cuckoos but this Cuckoo was in the Hol Inn Car Park !

Yes the local birders had some good birds that day, the guy in your link above was the one that told me that the Golden Spectacled Warbler was there (well North of it's range) ... but it was almost dark and the birds had stopped moving so we dipped big time on that one :(

I can now confirm that thanks to the assistance received on the ID Forum (thanks Rockfowl !) that one of the warblers from last week was a Pale-Legged Leaf Warbler.

So this week (Sunday) I was all on my lonesome on my foray to my usual haunts (XYS and Nan Hui) not wanting to miss any of the increasing action (a Rufous Faced Warbler and a Golden Spectacled Warbler having been seen there last week - I was not so lucky as to see those would-be lifers though).

However I had fun being able to get down and dirty (camo in the grass) with my new exotically coloured lifer, spending 90 mins laying prone in the hope he would alight on the bough(s) I had designated as ideal for both of us :D He however had other ideas and the nearest he came was twice as far away - except for one exciting foray, hover & dive, into the grass not 2 metres from where I was (hopefully) hidden.
Not that I was hidden from a passing family that decided I would make perfect subject matter for family & friends as they excitedly took photo after photo of me - pics that no doubt were then winging it's way to a thousand We Chat accounts and making me an instant faceless 'trend' !

Time spent with my new 'Lifer' meant no time to explore the usual 3 wading sites so species seen this week is down. First pic processed attached - more to come :)

(56-60 pending ID of a few flycatchers & warblers)

Arctic Warbler
Asian Brown Flycatcher (3)
Barn Swallow
BCN Heron
Blackbird
Black Faced Bunting (numerous)
Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler (1 - I'm assuming the same one that has been there for the past 3 weeks)
Blue Rock Thrush (2 - Nan Hui - M & F - philippensis)
Cattle Egret (pair - XYS)
Chinese Bulbul
Chinese pond Heron (pair - XYS)
Common Moorhen (2)
Common Sandpiper
Coots
Crested Myna
Dusky Thrush (8 - all the thrushes are increasing in numbers)
Eastern Buzzard (1)
Eastern Crowned Warbler (1 - Nan Hui)
Elegant Bunting
Eurasian Magpie (1 - Nan Hui)
Eyebrowed Thrush (1 - M - Nan Hui)
Great Crested Grebe (1)
Great Egret (2)
Great Tit (heard not seen)
Grey Backed Thrush (1 - Nan Hui)
Grey Heron (12)
Japanese Waxwing (1 - XYS)
Japanese Thrush (1 M - Nan Hui)
Little Egret
Little Grebe
Little Ringed Plover
Long Tailed Shrike
Manchurian Bush Warbler (numerous, now in Nan Hui as well as everywhere on XYS)
Marsh Sandpiper (1)
Narcissus Flycatcher (1 x M)
Olive Backed Pipit (ca. 8 - XYS)
Oriental Turtle Dove
Pale Thrush (4)
Peregrine Falcon (1 - ID not yet confirmed maybe Eurasian Hobby ?)
Pheasant (2, one flyover and one in Nan Hui)
Plain Prinia
Red Billed Starling (2)
Red Flanked Bluetail (4 - all in Nan Hui)
Ring Necked Dove
Rooks (2)
Rustic Bunting (numerous)
Scaly Thrush (XYS)
Siberian Stonechat (M&F - in both XYS and Nan Hui)
Skylark (spp.)
Tern (2 - ID not yet confirmed. Nan Hui)
Tree Sparrow
Tristram's Bunting (few)
Tufted Duck (1)
Vinous Throated Parrotbills
White Cheeked Starling (8)
White Wagtail (leucopsis & ocularis)

Attachments

• Narcissus%20Flychatcher%20%28M%29%20-%20XYS-X2.jpg
    Narcissus%20Flychatcher%20%28M%29%20-%20XYS-X2.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Good to see the flycatchers back in Shanghai. Nice Narcissus Kev. Congrats on nailing the ID of Phylloscopus. Hope you will get the Sakhalin's soon. XYS n Nanhui are good for them.You should be worried abt Weibo too, it's viral than Wechat. I will let you know if any mysterious mammal post on my wall.

Which three are you missing Jeff?

Narcissus Flycatcher
Japanese Thrush
Eyebrowed Thrush

Also Manchurian Bush-warbler which Kevin had last week, too.

BTW Kevin, you should try to find a copy of a picture of you taking pictures on Weibo. Then you can post it on your own page 8-P

Narcissus Flycatcher
Japanese Thrush
Eyebrowed Thrush

Also Manchurian Bush-warbler which Kevin had last week, too.

Especially for you John, enjoy ;)

The two thrushes were shot at dusk though so fighting the light.

The Narcissus and Manchurian pics have already been posted above of course.

Attachments

• Japanese%20Thrush%20%28M%29%20-%20Nan%20Hui-XL.jpg
    Japanese%20Thrush%20%28M%29%20-%20Nan%20Hui-XL.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Eyebrowed%20Thrush%20-%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Eyebrowed%20Thrush%20-%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Chinese%20Pond%20Heron%20-%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Chinese%20Pond%20Heron%20-%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 21
  • Sunset%20Shadow-XL.jpg
    Sunset%20Shadow-XL.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
The parking lot is the ultimate turf of the thrushes. Such a tiny spot worth every effort to stick around. I had my best shots of the Eyebrowed thrush and Brown-headed Thrush from the parking lot.

The Chinese-Pond Heron is @ its best with the beard ;-) Not but not the least, the Silhouette of the night heron(I assume) is a classic touche for a birding day Kev. Any plans for the weekend?

A few more Narcissus Flycatcher shots. The heavily cropped shots are still a bit noisy but it's the best I can do for now, and focus is off in the last but I like it anyway :D

Thanks Dev ! See you Saturday.

Attachments

• Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28M%29%20%232%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28M%29%20%232%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28M%29%20%234%20-%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28M%29%20%234%20-%20Shanghai-XL.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28M%29%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28M%29%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 40
  • Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28M%29%20%233%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    Narcissus%20Flycatcher%20%28M%29%20%233%20-%20Shanghai-X2.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back