• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater - 550km south of Christmas Island, Ibdian Ocean (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and Bird Watchers!

I am about 550km south of the Christmas Island and I spotted a group of birds, about 20 moving fast. I managed to get a few pictures.

The birds are far away so not very good pictures. And I had to use Topaz Megapixel to blow up the pictures.

I am pretty sure it is a Shearwater after having consulting my book �Oceanic Birds of the World�

But I have no clue witch Shearwater it is. Is here anyone here on the birdforum that can ID the birds on my poor pictures?

It would be very appreciated as usually!

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• A (2).jpg
    A (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • A (3).jpg
    A (3).jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 83
  • A (1).jpg
    A (1).jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 83
There's always a worry that a program like Topaz will introduce some colour variation or other artefacts into the image. However, these are indeed shearwaters, and the fact you seem to have both dark and lighter phase individuals, coupled with an apparently long tail, suggests they could be Wedge-tailed Shearwaters.
I have zero experience with this species - I'm also basing my thoughts on 'Oceanic Birds of the World' - so I would wait for a better informed opinion to confirm ID.

All-darkish with bicoloured bill seems good for flesh-footed shearwater. The colour is gruesomely-false (no offence) - and if you wanted to 'blow [them] up' all you have to do is crop them. I wouldn't think there are two morphs in these photos.

There's always a worry that a program like Topaz will introduce some colour variation or other artefacts into the image. However, these are indeed shearwaters, and the fact you seem to have both dark and lighter phase individuals, coupled with an apparently long tail, suggests they could be Wedge-tailed Shearwaters.
I have zero experience with this species - I'm also basing my thoughts on 'Oceanic Birds of the World' - so I would wait for a better informed opinion to confirm ID.

Thank you very much kb57!!!

Highly appreciated! The bird is on the eBird suggestion.

Flesh-footed is a rare bird alert.

Highly sppreciated!
Aladdin

All-darkish with bicoloured bill seems good for flesh-footed shearwater. The colour is gruesomely-false (no offence) - and if you wanted to 'blow [them] up' all you have to do is crop them. I wouldn't think there are two morphs in these photos.

Thank you very much Butty!!

Flesh footed is a rare burd alert, always make me a bit nervous.

I will rrport as flesh-footed.

Thanks again, highly appreciated
Aladdin

BTW, which Christmas Island? The one in the Pacific or the one in the Indian Ocean south of Java, famous for its red crabs?

A light / slender chest, a long tail with a wedge shape, pale markings on the upper wings, bicolored bill, the posture with the crook/bend wings, the lack of uniform color on the underside all make these Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, regardless of which Christmas Island is being discussed (though that would be nice to know).

BTW, which Christmas Island? The one in the Pacific or the one in the Indian Ocean south of Java, famous for its red crabs?
Sorry!
I was only aware of the Christmas Island south of Java.

So it is Indian Ocean, sorry for any confusion.

Aladdin

A light / slender chest, a long tail with a wedge shape, pale markings on the upper wings, bicolored bill, the posture with the crook/bend wings, the lack of uniform color on the underside all make these Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, regardless of which Christmas Island is being discussed (though that would be nice to know).
Thank you very much pbjosh!
Your explanstion and I checked eith my book.

My pictures are at least to say poor, but I think wedge tailed and they are now reported as wedge tailed IN ebird

Your help is very appreciated and aftwr having seen millions of didferent boobies it was relly nice to see something different.

Kind regardAladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back