• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulf of Campeche, Mexico (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers

I spotted this small falcon in the evening at Bay of Campeche near Veracruz, Mexico. I have ID the bird as a Peregrine Falcon as this is the only bird I can find fitting the very very poor pictures.

Picture taken from 50 m with my small Scooby Doo camera and I increased size to double size in Topaz. But it is still very poor.

Is it possible to ID the bird from these substandard pictures?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 307.jpg
    307.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 308.jpg
    308.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 57
Might Aplomado Falcon be a candidate for image 1.
Appears to be very long-tailed, albeit having difficulty determining the head pattern?

Cheers
Think I’ve been “had” on this!, closer inspection reveals I believe, a “contrived piece of construction” intentional or otherwise, with some sort of material wrap round, giving it an avian feel? 😩

The second thumbnail looks fine for Merlin, although when it's clicked, it looks like a muppet.

They certainly winter in Florida and further south.

Think I’ve been “had”
I'd relax. I think you're 'fooled' that you've been 'fooled'. The images are of such low quality (no offence) and thus so riven with artefacts that it's impossible to assess their genuineness. But I see no reason to doubt that the 'bird' is a bird.

I'd relax. I think you're 'fooled' that you've been 'fooled'. The images are of such low quality (no offence) and thus so riven with artefacts that it's impossible to assess their genuineness. But I see no reason to doubt that the 'bird' is a bird.
Am relaxed about the whole thing Butty.👍

Dear all!

The bird is sitting on an oil hose crane so it is the hydraulic hoses we can see.

My notes, mKe it a Merlin, except for the white collar.
  • buff rump
  • White chin/ collar
  • darker belly
  • black top
  • white rim on the tail

The bird look like a merlin but my book dont have white on the chin/collar

Thanks everyone, i will go for merlin. I erased the embarrasing pixtures, but next time i will post the whole pic so we can see how a marine oil hose handling crane looks like.

Kind regards an i appreciate the help very much.

Aladdin

Hello again,

We have another stire handling crane and i ha 13 cliff swallows landing to spend the night.

Just to show what kind of camwra i have to work wirh i attach 2 pictures. One meter distance and i am less than impressed by the quality. But the birds was not scared

But next time i will bring my bird camer

Kind regards
Aladdin

Attachments

• 305.jpg
    305.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 306.jpg
    306.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back