• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shore birds ID? (1 Viewer)

The bill of the yellowlegs in the first photo is longer than the width of the head. It also, to me, does not look "petite" enough for a LEYE. The bills of both LEYE and GRYE can be dark (no yellow showing), see http://sdakotabirds.com/diffids/less...yellowlegs.htm from above.

OP states that the two photos might be of the same bird.

Also from above: " They (GRYE) seem to tolerate cold weather slightly better than the Lesser Yellowlegs, and early spring or late fall birds are more likely to be Greater Yellowlegs." (my bold)

* OP's photos of the yellowlegs were taken on February 19th.

I saw a G. yellolegged last august in sweden and it was not accknowlaged to be a great yellowlegged because i could not se it in flight (so i could not see if it had a white cigarr formed white field up on the back or not) my question. Have anyone seen a greenshank(tringa nebularia) with these yellow legs like on these pictures from howie?
I saw in a flock of 5 other greenshanks and it was the same size and beak was pointing upward but it legs just screamed at me YELLOW!! and its legs was a little longer....
Fred

Also from above: " They (GRYE) seem to tolerate cold weather slightly better than the Lesser Yellowlegs, and early spring or late fall birds are more likely to be Greater Yellowlegs." (my bold)

* OP's photos of the yellowlegs were taken on February 19th.

I don't see any need to get into probabilities Larry because the bird in the first photo is clearly a Lesser Yellowlegs. In any event, I bird just north of Virginia and am well aware of the probabilities. Greater is more common this time of year, but I've seen Lesser on a number of occasions, and eBird confirms a number of recent sightings of Lesser in Virginia: http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...continue.x=77&continue.y=11&continue=Continue

Regards,
Jim

Sandpipers are Semi-p's. Sanderlings don't have this extensive rufous colors in coverts or scapulars nor hind toe. They're also different in body and bill shape and show rufous-brown face (little like Red-necked). Western would have bill lenght equal or longer than lenght of head. Least have f.e. yellow legs.

Compare: http://www.pbase.com/joe_e_fischer/image/96850654

Last edited:
Sandpipers are Semi-p's. Sanderlings don't have this extensive rufous colors in coverts or scapulars nor hind toe. They're also different in body and bill shape and show rufous-brown face (little like Red-necked). Western would have bill lenght equal or longer than lenght of head. Least have f.e. yellow legs.

Well you are usually right also Makpe, so now I'm really confused. ;) I'd considered semis, but I just haven't seen that extensive bright red coloration on Semi Ps (but breeding Sanderlings can look be that bright over their back and head). I don't believe we can see a hind toe, and what we can see of the foot shows no palmations. Also suspect the photo you linked to is color enhanced or overly saturated--you'd think Semi Ps were as colorful as adult Westerns from that photo! But I'm not sure at all at this point. Habitat certainly looks best for Sanderling. I await further input.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:

They have the rufous tones (but without the face) in Spring when these pictures were taken - I think Nick had them right as Sanderlings.

i see sanderlings too (from the first view on, but didn't have time to look closer and the guts to post my view like nick). now, on closer look they still are sanderlings moulting into breeding plumage. head part and breast are still mostly in basic plumage, structure of body is better for c. alba in my eyes as are the extensively dark centered new scaps and coverts with typically scattered rufous ones.

Hi, folks,

This has turned into a really fascinating discussion! A lot of resources! Thanks!

I am posting a blow-up of the yellowleg picture in my original post, after reading all the comments and checking the links, I think all these yellowleg pictures are of the same, or same species of bird, and I think it is Greater Yellowleg.

As to the sandpiper/sandling .. not so sure.

Thanks,
Howard

Attachments

• yellowleg2.jpg
    yellowleg2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 72
Also I found another larger image of the "sandy", and I think it is a sandling

I hope we can reach a consensus now :)

Thanks and I learned a lot from you guys.

Attachments

• sandy.jpg
    sandy.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 85
i see sanderlings too (from the first view on, but didn't have time to look closer and the guts to post my view like nick). now, on closer look they still are sanderlings moulting into breeding plumage. head part and breast are still mostly in basic plumage, structure of body is better for c. alba in my eyes as are the extensively dark centered new scaps and coverts with typically scattered rufous ones.

After another look i'm not sure about the hind toe anymore, i thought i saw one in the leftmost bird.
Anyway, i can't see anything in scaps and coverts excluding Semi-p (nor Sanderling :) ). However, IMO bill structure is wrong for Sanderling; bill is thin and getting thinner towards the tip without thickening in tip that Sanderling always shows.

Hi, folks,

This has turned into a really fascinating discussion! A lot of resources! Thanks!

I am posting a blow-up of the yellowleg picture in my original post, after reading all the comments and checking the links, I think all these yellowleg pictures are of the same, or same species of bird, and I think it is Greater Yellowleg.Howard

Yes, a very entertaining & informative thread

The confusion over the ID of the Greater Yellowlegs particularly is an excellent illustration of how misleading single photographs can be.

I am posting a blow-up of the yellowleg picture in my original post, after reading all the comments and checking the links, I think all these yellowleg pictures are of the same, or same species of bird, and I think it is Greater Yellowleg.

Sorry Howard. It's still a classic Lesser Yellowlegs, and a different bird from your other photo.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I agree on the 2 species of yellowlegs and Sanderling in transition to breeding plumage (something we only see during the late spring migration)

After another look i'm not sure about the hind toe anymore, i thought i saw one in the leftmost bird.
Anyway, i can't see anything in scaps and coverts excluding Semi-p (nor Sanderling :) ). However, IMO bill structure is wrong for Sanderling; bill is thin and getting thinner towards the tip without thickening in tip that Sanderling always shows.

Semip would never show such extensive internal rufous marking on scaps. and / or coverts.

These are pre-alternate Sanderlings.

Hi, guys --

Whether it is (they are) Lesser or Greater, I am now convinced that they are the same bird (or same species).

I double checked my photos and the times at which they were taken, I believe I was tracking the same group of birds:

The following one was taken at 1:27PM, 2/19/2005
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=309831&d=1298420516

The following one was taken at 1:37PM, 2/19/2005
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=309953&d=1298493794

The new attachment was also taken at 1:37PM, 2/19/2005. In fact, I am 100% certain the last two pictures were of the exact individual.

Attachments

• yellowleg3.jpg
    yellowleg3.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back