• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird N Colombia (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
This picture was taken 28 August 2023 in
SFF Los Flamencos, El Camarones, Guajira, Colombia. I have a feel it should be a plover, but not sure to species and may be completely off.
Any help appreciated
Niels
q Plover P1270918.JPG

Do you mind giving me an approximate size? Did it appear amongst other plovers? Something looks strange with that orangish tinge to its upper breast.

Edit- Any more pics?

I honestly do not remember it from life. I saw collared, snowy, wilson's and semip plovers that day. I need to see if I have images of other birds from that piece of beach that can help me with size estimate.
Niels

There is 1-2 local guides who come there with some regularity, at least if they have people to guide.
Niels

The lack of a collar plus the orange tinge to the breast make me think Siberian (or possible Tibetan) Sand Plover - an adult moulting into non-breeding plumage... Would that be a first for Colombia?
This is what I was thinking, didn't want to bite the bullet before others did. From my research a Siberian sand plover was seen in Quebec in July, in Massachusetts in august and in his exact area in September.

Photo of individual from MA- ML606027561 - Siberian Sand-Plover - Macaulay Library

Last edited:
Edit- Any more pics?
There was a request for another image. I have only found one other image, of the exact the same angle and a slightly poorer focus.

This would be only my second ever registration of this species, the first one in Australia in 2006.
Niels

There was a request for another image. I have only found one other image, of the exact the same angle and a slightly poorer focus.

This would be only my second ever registration of this species, the first one in Australia in 2006.
Niels
Wow, thats pretty amazing... also this would be the actual first registration for the species in Colombia. Honestly, I think that one picture is fine.

Here is the image after I did a little play with post processing. The above image was straight out of my camera, which always presents a somewhat flat image.
Niels
Siberian Sand Plover P1270918.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back