• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I use sand? (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

To cover the hole under the bird feeder. It will also make the bird feeding station stronger and will move less. The hole was created by raking the bird seeds when there was grass there. Now there is only dirt. When I clean the hole I don't rake there anymore or it will just continue getting deeper then the bird feeding station will move more. I just cover it with plastic bags and then on top of that I put natural wheat straw. But if I will use sand I have to make sure the birds can never get to it. The sand I find at Home Depot and Lowe's is Quikrete Premium Play Sand. When I go to the website this is what it says

May cause cancer through chronic inhalation
May cause respiratory irritation
Causes damage to lungs through prolonged or repeated inhalation
Causes eye irration if particles or dust get in the eye

This is why I don't know if I should use sand or not because it sounds dangerous. Just by them eating from that hole covered in sand could cause cancer, respiratory irritation, etc...?

I would have to put a tarp over it and on top of that the plastic black bags I use and on top of that the natural wheat straw. This is why I am not sure if it's safe or not to even do this. Can the smell of sand itself causes birds to get sick and die? This is why I am thinking about putting rocks there instead of sand. The problem is that the rocks won't make it as secure and flat. Is it even necessary to wash the rocks if they contain dirt and sand? This way nothing can grow in the hole.

No-one else seems to be replying to your queries ...

A photo of the ground/hole might have helped initially, but it sounds like you are just trying to put something down under the bird feeder that won't go mouldy and be safe for the birds? (And stabilise the pole as you say)

Any bought dirt or dirt dug up from elsewhere should be fine Those statements on the sand (sold for children to play in) are basically irrelevant to birds with a couple of years lifespan and out in the wilds all the time - they are to protect the companies from lawsuits from humans of something which is of an extremely low risk even to humans. No birds will be catching cancer or getting respiratory infections etc from that sand, I think we are safe to say!

Last edited:
No-one else seems to be replying to your queries ...

A photo of the ground/hole might have helped initially, but it sounds like you are just trying to put something down under the bird feeder that won't go mouldy and be safe for the birds? (And stabilise the pole as you say)

Any bought dirt or dirt dug up from elsewhere should be fine Those statements on the sand (sold for children to play in) are basically irrelevant to birds with a couple of years lifespan and out in the wilds all the time - they are to protect the companies from lawsuits from humans of something which is of an extremely low risk even to humans. No birds will be catching cancer or getting respiratory infections etc from that sand, I think we are safe to say!

how do you know the birds won't get sick from inhaling a lot of sand? So it doesn't matter that the birds will get sick and could die because they only have a couple of years to live? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I have been reading the reviews on soils they sell and for some reason they come in with metal and glass in them... What is the safest soil to use that will not cause anything to grow (if possible) or one that will only grow grass since that is what is supposed to be there?

Hi

Why don’t you cement it in then cover the cement with bark chips?

This would stabilise the feeder, prevent unwanted growth and remove the requirement for loose material.

Julie

The warnings on sand bag are due to the fact that sand dust could in theory lead to silicosis of the lungs. Just google 'sand silicosis and you'll find a long list of articles. In humans, even when exposed to significant quantities of find silica dust (e.g. industrial exposure, mining, etc.), it is a disease that takes years to develop. That is not to say it is not serious and if I were to work around such dust, I would take adequate precautions.
'Playground' sand is typically sand which has been washed to remove the fine particles and thus not present a hazard to children playing in it.
In your case, I cannot imagine that it would present any reasonable issue to your avian visitors and in fact would seem like a very natural material for the birds to stand on and eat fallen seed from. I daily watch birds on little sandy 'beaches' on our backyard creek.
YMMV of course ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back